What do people think to the new MBP?

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Ah ok, I was under the impression that they had appalling battery life, hence why Apple removed the "time remaining" from the battery icon.

Soldato
Om the 15" Touchbar the biggest issue I have is the unpredictability of the battery - makes me keep an active eye on it. Have had instances of only getting 3 hours ish, and others (more commonly, to be fair) 7+ hours.

Looks to me like it's switching to the discrete graphics card more times than I expected. Locking it to the in-built graphics seems to improve battery life no end.

Soldato
So what do people think of the new 13" MBPs?

I'm looking at the nTB model and upgrading it to 16gb RAM and a 512gb SSD.
Can get it for £1,646 with student discount.

It would be replacing an early 2011 MBP.

Soldato
There's not a lot of wiggle room with 128GB. 128GB drives are a *lot* slower than bigger drives, so you pay a price on that. And finally, the drive isn't upgradeable, so you're stuck with that size forever, which may be a big problem for you down the line.

rotor, where can I see the figures for the speed difference in the SSD's? I am contemplating getting the 128gb and I know there is discussion back and forth about space but that really isn't a problem for me as I have a NAS that I can access both in and out of the home, as well as a portable external drive.

However I'd like to know the sheer performance drop off between the 128 and the 256.

Soldato
Well I have a slot on Wednesday to take my Macbook Pro in for them to look at/repair the keyboard.

Right side of the space bar doesn't register half the time and the volume up button requires a very hard press to get it to respond. Time to finish what I need doing website wise and back everything up ahh

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

rotor, where can I see the figures for the speed difference in the SSD's? I am contemplating getting the 128gb and I know there is discussion back and forth about space but that really isn't a problem for me as I have a NAS that I can access both in and out of the home, as well as a portable external drive.

However I'd like to know the sheer performance drop off between the 128 and the 256.
It was from a review (can't remember which one, possibly the Are Technica one). For the 128GB SSD from the MBP 13 you'll have to wait until someone reviews one, and then you compare with existing reviews for either the 2016 models, or the 2017 with 256 or 512GB.

Smaller drives are always quite a lot slower, that's just the reality of how SSDs are designed (less channels to write simultaneously to).

DiG

DiG

Associate
Anyone else finding theirs randomly freezes? Seems to be happening 3-5 times a week at the moment, cursor still moves but everything else stops requiring a restart

Associate
For people with the non touch bar model, how do you find only have 2 USB-C ports?

I have just ordered this model but I am having serious concerns about whether or not 2 USB-C ports is enough...

I don't use many accessories, but I want to be able to easily plug into an external monitor and external HDD whilst still charging etc.

Soldato
Anyone else finding theirs randomly freezes? Seems to be happening 3-5 times a week at the moment, cursor still moves but everything else stops requiring a restart

Nothing like that but I find that Safari is far more unstable on this than my old MBA as It doesn't cope with multiple tabs as well. I just ignored High Sierra this morning so I'm going to try again tonight to see how I get on.

Associate
Well I have a slot on Wednesday to take my Macbook Pro in for them to look at/repair the keyboard.

Right side of the space bar doesn't register half the time and the volume up button requires a very hard press to get it to respond. Time to finish what I need doing website wise and back everything up ahh

My late 2016 also had a faulty volume up key, Apple tried to repair but flopped it so I got the 2017 version.

To be honest the 2017 version is pretty much exactly the same for my usage. I haven't noticed an increase in battery life, thermals are the same, performance etc.

Associate
Considering getting a macbook pro for lab / portable write up work. Is there a reason why Apple only went for 2/4 ports?

Soldato
On the night I took it back I reordered the same spec again from the online store which has resulted in a two week wait. I went back to the shop yesterday and complained..

- I can't work from home
- I don't have any other backup computers available for use
- How come the store doesn't hold permutations of all specs so that they can handle replacements

They told me to buy whatever they had in stock to use until my replacement laptop arrives after which I can return it (making sure to stay within the two week return window). They said they're well aware that many shoppers use the two week return to trial their devices and they actively encouraged it! So here I am with a MacBook. I think it looks much nicer than the pro but I noticed straight away it didn't have as much grunt and it's quite small! So the order for the MBP remains open and I'll put up with this for a couple of weeks.

Soldato
Just swapped out my 2016 13 for the 2017 but still cannot play HEVC videos. The 2017 is meant to support HEVC hardware playback. Is it only on High Sierra ? Or do I need something other than QuickTime/Vlc to play...... ?

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom