What do people think to the new MBP?

Soldato
If you can free up the space on the HDD then I'd be very tempted to wait for the expected Kaby Lake refresh which should be about June. Faster, more efficient, CPUs will allow them to fit 32Gb RAM and there is also a rumour that when they drop the MacBook Air then the non-touchbar 13" will get a significant price cut.

This current range of MacBook Pros is a very poor offer given the price but Apple can't just drop the price so the refresh will come fast and there will be more performance for the same money hopefully.

Soldato
The performance difference between the current and kabylake cpu's will be tiny, under 5%. Should give a bit more battery life though. Same with 32gb ram, there's only a few usercases that actually need that much ram.

Soldato
The performance difference between the current and kabylake cpu's will be tiny, under 5%. Should give a bit more battery life though. Same with 32gb ram, there's only a few usercases that actually need that much ram.

This is all true, but if there is no NEED to upgrade now, I'd much rather spend £3500 on a 32Gb Kaby Lake machine in June or July than £3000 on the older tech 16Gb machine now. Simply because it will last a bit longer with more RAM.

Soldato
are you really going to keep this laptop long enough to get the benefit out of 32gb ram? Most people buying top spec laptops seem to change them fairly often.

Soldato
A lot of people are unhappy with the price over here but at the end of the day we voted for Brexit and it smacked the pound around - We made our own bed and all that!

Brexit and the weak pound is a red herring. Go to Apple.com/de and price up the same machine and you will find it's more expensive in Euro than in Sterling. I can buy the same machine with a German keyboard and OS for less in the UK than I can in Germany, so either they are subsidising our market or the Europeans are REALLY getting ripped off.

Soldato
are you really going to keep this laptop long enough to get the benefit out of 32gb ram? Most people buying top spec laptops seem to change them fairly often.

Do you REALLY need 16Gb? The problem is you can't upgrade it afterwards so it makes sense to get the most you can from the start. There are people selling 2010 MacBooks in MM for reasonable money so why not max out the machine?

Soldato
I guess it's your cash :p

16 is good for me just due to the stuff I do on it, 32 would be overkill personally. My main dev pc only has 16 and doesn't max out when working on pretty large projects.

Soldato
I guess it's your cash :p

16 is good for me just due to the stuff I do on it, 32 would be overkill personally. My main dev pc only has 16 and doesn't max out when working on pretty large projects.

The thing is, it's stupid money. When you're spending £3500 on a laptop you almost might as well go the whole hog and spend £4500. Nothing in IT holds it's value like an Apple laptop. And the better the spec, the more you can get for it in future.

Associate
OP
The thing is, it's stupid money. When you're spending £3500 on a laptop you almost might as well go the whole hog and spend £4500. Nothing in IT holds it's value like an Apple laptop. And the better the spec, the more you can get for it in future.

Thats a pretty weird way of looking at it - Of course the more you spend the more you get for it in the future, you also lose more. All the Apple gadgets depreciate at a similar and very favourable rate.

Associate
OP

Thats a pretty weird way of looking at it - Of course the more you spend the more you get for it in the future, you also lose more. All the Apple gadgets depreciate at a similar and very favourable rate.

Soldato

Not really. If it's bought by a business, then the current tax legislation allows you to write the value off fairly quickly. That has benefits depending on how the company chooses to dispose of the written-off IT equipment ;)

And I disagree about all the Apple stuff depreciating at the same rate. Apple TVs, iPhone 6/6s/7 Plus and iMacs don't hold their value as well as the MacBook, Air and Pro, standard iPhone models and Mac Minis. But they are all very good in comparison to other IT suppliers stuff.

Back
Top Bottom