What do people think to the new MBP?

Man of Honour
Yeah - they're in a different world performance wise. Sat here working away actually on JUST the 13" rMBP non-touchbar. Has Windows 10 running in Parallels, and a load of RDP sessions up on the big screen. No way could my small Macbook cope with that.

My impression of the machine is highly positive. Keyboard is a bit noisy - only thing I can really think of.

I remember being on the train sorting through a load of cr2 files and it was taking about 5 seconds to preview one file. I just gave up. I'm wondering whether to go for a 13" one, a 15" one or wait for Kaby Lake.

Soldato
Well, the 13 will/is my new travel buddy. I also need :D a power replacement for my 15" rMBP Quad Core. Same quandry - buy now, or wait for the Kaby Lake update. My 15" is the last gen one, so it's hardly old. BUT.

Gah.

Man of Honour
I don't really need power on the move, but I want. For home I have the 5k iMac as my daily use computer. I guess that's me getting a 13" then as I don't think I'd ever need the extra grunt of the 15" while I'm using my iMac. But then I could sell the iMac, get an external monitor and the 15" is an all in one tool.

Associate
picked up a 15" 2.7/460/1tb space grey on the refurb store. Looks mint and has only 1 battery cycle. Loving it so far, makes my 2014 15" feel like a brick.
Going to put its through its paces in Xcode and unity later and see how it gets on

Associate
Anyone found quality reliable USBC Hubs with 4k 60 HDMI output?

Apple's Multiport AV adapter is probably the most reliable one you can get, also the most expensive unless you get refurb/used one, most of the hubs seems to have issues (not powering external drives properly, not outputting at 4k@60hz, not charging with full power, etc or causing WiFi to drop out when connected) (Edit: seems like I'm wrong and Apple's adapter can only output 4k@30hz max?)

With that said, I have Aukey's USB-C hub, seems to do okay, powered my external drive, charged fine, but causes my WiFi to drop out, which is annoying but it doesn't seem to do that all the time, haven't tried the HDMI port on it yet though, I just got my nTB MBP today, I'll test later when I can (don't have 4k monitor here, just 1920x1200, so won't be able to tell you how it fares with 4k).

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't really need power on the move, but I want. For home I have the 5k iMac as my daily use computer. I guess that's me getting a 13" then as I don't think I'd ever need the extra grunt of the 15" while I'm using my iMac. But then I could sell the iMac, get an external monitor and the 15" is an all in one tool.

That's what I'd like to do, but the issue for me is that I'd want a monitor as good as the iMac 5k's screen and the one current solution, the LG Ultrafine 5K has a beautiful screen but the rest of it's a bit of a dud. At least we now know Apple is going to make pro displays to go along with a new Mac Pro design next year so all hope isn't lost. If you needed extra power at home the whole eGPU thing is looking promising as well now nVidia are making Mac OS drivers and there are Thunderbolt GPU enclosures.

Man of Honour
Finally pulled the trigger.

13-inch MacBook Pro - Space Grey

Hardware
  • Touch Bar and Touch ID
  • 3.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
  • 16GB 2133MHz memory
  • 512GB PCIe-based SSD

Man of Honour
Yes of course.

Yes, dual core. You can't get quad on the 13" sadly. It was a top up between the 13" and 15" however for the extra £1k or so it would cost and how seldom I'd use the extra power, I decided on the smaller one.

MacBook will be sold.

Associate
I have been looking at the Touch Bar 15" on the Apple Refurb store. The most intense tasks I will use it for is some FCPX editing for some D750 1080p footage and some Lumix G7 footage. Would I notice a big step up going for the AMD 460? Other tasks are code based tasks so won't really tax the machine but having 16GB and SSD and larger screen will be great. My last MBP was the 2009 since new which I sold off recently. Any new machine will be a big step up.

Associate
Happy with my late 2013 MBP retina - to me they haven't made enough improvements to warrant an upgrade. Insignificant speed/storage/battery increases with touchbar on top? No thanks. Will definitely be looking out for any major design changes in future iterations.

Soldato
I honestly can't see myself picking one of these up. right now I have my iphone, ipod shuffle and an SD card from my camera plugged into my MBP. The need to use some ****** hub thing is something i associate with windows. Feels like really ill thought out design in favor of style over function. I do however want to pick up an imac if they don't cripple it and improve it to be in the realms of the surface studio (just more geared towards consumers rather than professionals) .

I love OSX for casual work/browsing/music and I depend on imessages/facetime to keep in touch with family.

I have a gaming rig, mbp, ipad pro, iphone. in the future I'll probably move towards a gaming rig/imac/ipad pro/iphone and then maybe ditch the whole laptop **** or just see how long this 2015 mbp lasts me.

Man of Honour
New 13" MacBook pro Touch arrived yesterday, set it up as a new MacBook as my QNAP TimeMachine was playing up.

Initial impressions vs my MacBook (12"):
  • It's much faster
  • It's also a fair bit heavier
  • And thicker
  • But, the screen is better
  • As is the keyboard
  • It's nicer to use as while the MacBook is certainly not flimsy, the Pro feels more solid
I'm in two minds about whether to sell the MacBook or not, I am tempted to keep it as a travelling laptop but then I know I'd get frustrated with the (lack of) speed.

Back
Top Bottom