1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do we all do for a living?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sparky05084, 28 Dec 2011.

1. weescott

Sgarrista

Move up north and I can take you under my fleece. Big money to be earned in the Oil Industry. £10 for 46 seconds you know!

2. toshj

Mobster

headhunter

3. EGuitarStar

Mobster

Full time: IT Support Engineer
    Part Time (when I find the time): Run a computer repair shop (I am part owner)
    Friday Nights (I get paid): Play lead guitar
    During the year (if I can find someone in need): Web designer / Multimedia Author

I know I have no life!

4. Aod

Sgarrista

Engineer at an Airsoft Store.

Have a degree in Digital Forensics and Network Security but this is much more fun :D
    Might be going to IWA in March for the shop :)

5. Natwee

Wise Guy

There are "guidelines" and "grooming standards"

No one actually works "for" selfridges... You work for the brand you work for. You get offered the job by them, then get interviewed for "store approval" by selfridges.

I heard if you don't meet their standards, they won't accept you.

6. mattyg

Sgarrista

Wow that takes me back. Not heard that in an age.

7. lemonkettaz

Capodecina

Some trades weren't taking on applicants and some had waiting times of 18months+, but not all and this was nearly 2year ago now.

Only advice really is to goto your local Armed Forces Careers Office and talk to them.

Never too late, although officer route is 26? regular route is 33? so until then it is never too late

8. Philtor

Soldato

Im a Credit Management Consultant for a large English Mortgage lender. Prior to that I done IT support for Hp.

9. rgzcampbell

Hitman

I'm a post doctorate researcher - plant physiologist/geneticist

10. Nitefly

Man of Honour

What do you work with, plant wise and for what research?

11. Natwee

Wise Guy

Work for nhs.

Its basically a bit like earth visiting. You have an area, and your own caseload. Every day, you get the details of everyone who has given birth in your area. You then contact them within 72 hours to offer support with feeding. Often a visit then follows.

Otherwise you get referrals where there is a problem and you visit to diagnose problem and find a solution.

As well as that, you go to all the baby clinics in your area for drop in support, an run breast feeding groups. You also go to all the ante natal clinics to discuss feeding with pregnant ladies.

And then offer support with weaning, and introducing food, such as classes and groups.

And insane amounts of paperwork!

:)

12. JHeaton

Mobster

25. My understanding is that as long as I'm 25 on the first day of training, I'm all right, but that's just from asking a few people who aren't exactly in the correct position to answer. I'll get on to the AFCO soon and see whether or not that's actually true. I reckon that if I work hard, then I can do it (as long as their waiting list isn't too long), I just need to really put the effort in to get in shape regardless of whether or not I do choose to pursue an armed forces career.

Thanks for the advice and information. :)

13. rgzcampbell

Hitman

Mostly potato - currently working on boosting valuable secondary metabolites such as carotenoids (astaxanthin) through transformation. I'm also involved with the genome sequencing consortium mapping novel candidate genes/expression studies related to carotenoid biosynthesis.

14. Nitefly

Man of Honour

Sounds interesting! ...well, in sound bite form at least. I couldn't stand the lab :)

15. rgzcampbell

Hitman

Yeah it's not for everyone but preferable to being stuck behind a computer all day every day! The students are a pain in the bum though.

16. DAnDan

Mobster

Being in a lab is the best place to be! Certainly the most interesting :D

17. Nickyyy

Hitman

Im a "Customer Consultant" with my part time job, full time student, and have a job as an infrastructure services engineer for my placement next year!

18. manic111

Capodecina

I work for a publishing company, with the aim of pushing them into digital markets and onto new platforms. It's quite exciting at the moment with the Kindle, iPad etc :)

19. Nitefly

Man of Honour

I'd rather eat my own head :p

20. Hatter The Mad

Sgarrista

I run a software company