• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What do you think of the 4070Ti?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
There is nothing more accurate for RT performance then full path traced benchmarks. It's literally just running RT, there is no rasterization involved here.

Given Nvidia dont even do proper *full* ray tracing - geometry is raster, so yeah no.

As already mentioned above, NVIDIA’s RTX solution is a hybrid method. The basic image geometry and shading happens over the rasterizing pipeline while the lighting and/or shadows are rendered via ray-tracing, using the RTCores to accelerate the process. Keep in mind that the two happen simultaneously while utilizing different resources on the GPU.

Associate
There is nothing more accurate for RT performance then full path traced benchmarks. It's literally just running RT, there is no rasterization involved here.
But games (edit - the vast majority) are not fully path traced. So...kinda pointless. It's like hiring me as an accountant on the grounds that I'm a cracking chef.

As for "There is nothing more accurate for RT performance than benchmarked performance?" Whilst true, theoretical performance is not really important. I'd suggest and average fps result between a number of games at a given resolution/rt level for real world, tangible results.

Last edited:
Associate
Ι agree that generally speaking up to numbers are mi

What do those bars show? Framerate in a benchmark? I mean fine, but that is one example. Is there a similar chart showing average performance over a number of games to get a result with more data points (and therefore be more accurate)
If we look at the port royal hybrid raytracing benchmark ray than full path raytracing the 7900xt is just 1fps behind the 4070Ti. If we are going to use the logic that the 4070Ti is "up to" 33% faster in raytracing based on a cherry picked result we can also say the 7900xt is up to 40% faster in rasterization.
index.php

MYUR4QP.jpg

Soldato
Ι agree that generally speaking up to numbers are misleading, but when you want to measure pure RT performance, you do it on something that runs just RT, and in that case the difference isn't just 33% like I quoted but more like 50%. Check the guru 3d numbers for example

index.php
We could also use the performance per watt chart from the same review that shows the 7900XT has around 10% better efficiency.

Screenshot-414.png

Soldato
But games (edit - the vast majority) are not fully path traced.
Sure, I completely agree. But saying that the difference in RT is 10% is factually incorrect and that 10% figure is derived from false data. A more valid statement would be "the difference between them in RT is 10% on average based on current RT games". That, I totally accept, but the fact still remains that the moment a heavy RT game shows up, performance of the XT is going to plummet.

Associate
We could also use the performance per watt chart from the same review that shows the 7900XT has around 10% better efficiency.

Screenshot-414.png
That's interesting. But it might be contradicting HUB's numbers, though he never did normalize them for fps numbers. Infact I didn't see a normalized measure from anyone. There was a slide on furmark power consumption in GN's video but that might not be the proper tool to estimate normalized figures. Surely needs more data and analysis

Last edited:
Associate
"The difference between them in RT is 10% on average based on current RT games" is just as accurate as "it is up to 33% better at RT" as in they can both be shown to be correct.

However, the first statement refers to a number of different results, giving more statistical confidence than a statement based on one data point.

Claiming I am a top level striker because I scored 4 goals in an under 10 football match is also just as true...It's just not useful info.

Soldato
That's interesting. But it might be contradicting HUB's numbers, though he never did normalize them for fps numbers. Infact I didn't see a normalized measure from anyone. There was a slide on furmark power consumption in GN's video but that might not be the proper tool to estimate normalized figures. Surely needs more data and analysis
Yeah HW unboxed just measured about 3 games instead across all games tested so maybe why it skewed results and different games will perform differently on each GPU so it really needs to be averaged across all games.

Soldato
Those numbers don't really make sense. Guru 3d shows the XT consuming 16% more wattage in gaming while being 10% more efficient. Doesn't make much sense

Soldato
$62Billion in debt ; TSMC will keep jacking up prices to cover it, unless the USA keep funnelling money to them to move from Taiwan.

It's not also helped by the fact the US sanctions on China,mean it's harder for Taiwanese and South Korea companies to do business with the latter,meaning less revenue. Then the US government can wave some money in front of them to move fabs to the US,which will help their tech companies. Also at the same time lots of money is being thrown at Intel,who will eventually catch up.

Caporegime
It's typical gaslighting too. Everyone is cutting orders due to less demand. So when companies jack up pricing demand further drops. We are probably heading to a big tech crash at some point. Its way over inflated.

Yeah its vicious circle.

Demand goes down, push up prices to compensate, that forced demand to fall again, push up prices to compensate, demand drops again............

You're right, its a bubble and its due to burst.

Soldato
It's not also helped by the fact the US sanctions on China,mean it's harder for Taiwanese and South Korea companies to do business with the latter,meaning less revenue. Then the US government can wave some money in front of them to move fabs to the US,which will help their tech companies. Also at the same time lots of money is being thrown at Intel,who will eventually catch up.

EU are `back in the game` as well

i can see TMSC moving out of Taiwan with all this global money being passed around

Soldato

i can see TMSC moving out of Taiwan with all this global money being passed around

They won't be moving out of Taiwan I read somewhere they will expand to other countries but keep all their latest tech in Taiwan, can't remember where but it was a recent news event about TSMC. Prices are going up soon not because of new manufacturing process only but because demand has dropped and their expansion plans to reduce risk in Taiwan due to China as we all know. I have a bad feeling 2023 is heading down a very dark path and everyone in every industry is about to suffer more.

TSMC is being hit by things like this right now too :-

Customers refusing to pay the price of 3nm.

Last edited:
Soldato

Not so great for Taiwan longer term,because it means jobs moving out of the country.
They won't be moving out of Taiwan I read somewhere they will expand to other countries but keep all their latest tech in Taiwan, can't remember where but it was a recent news event about TSMC. Prices are going up soon not because of new manufacturing process only but because demand has dropped and their expansion plans to reduce risk in Taiwan due to China as we all know. I have a bad feeling 2023 is heading down a very dark path and everyone in every industry is about to suffer more.

TSMC is being hit by things like this right now too :-

Customers refusing to pay the price of 3nm.

All of the tech industry is overleveraged and they have been making more than they ever would,say a decade ago. This has been fed by cheap credit due to lots of Quantitative Easing since 2008~2009.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It's typical gaslighting too. Everyone is cutting orders due to less demand. So when companies jack up pricing demand further drops. We are probably heading to a big tech crash at some point. Its way over inflated.

"Ampere friends, it is now safe to upgrade" will be here soon enough :D

I am in no rush whatsoever to upgrade my 3080 Ti.

Associate
So how would you quantify the upgrade? Can you share your experience with more esoteric features like frame gen? Will you be still targeting 1440p or considering an upgrade?
Leaps and bounds above the 1080ti in terms of pure gameplay visuals and experience.

On a more technical point I hit the ultra button in settings and regularly see 130 to 140 FPS in most mp cases. There's some drops when playing warzone probably due to the scale of the map etc.

I actually haven't really tried it in much else but in the MW2 benchmarking mode IV gone from 94 to 157 average FPS.

I'm happy and it suits my needs, I have no desire to go 4k so will suit me perfectly, I have thought about ultra wide but it should perform well there too.

Edit- Just to add aswell I'm on a 8600k @4.5Ghz so fairly CPU bound for the moment too.

Last edited:
Associate
Leaps and bounds above the 1080ti in terms of pure gameplay visuals and experience.

On a more technical point I hit the ultra button in settings and regularly see 130 to 140 FPS in most mp cases. There's some drops when playing warzone probably due to the scale of the map etc.

I actually haven't really tried it in much else but in the MW2 benchmarking mode IV gone from 94 to 157 average FPS.

I'm happy and it suits my needs, I have no desire to go 4k so will suit me perfectly, I have thought about ultra wide but it should perform well there too.

Edit- Just to add aswell I'm on a 8600k @4.5Ghz so fairly CPU bound for the moment too.
Warzone is pretty CPU limited so that would explain the drops in that game.

Sounds like some nice improvements for you across the board though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom