What exactly do you get with Amazon Prime ?

Soldato
A friend at work recommended Amazon Prime but got a couple of questions, just to clarify the "catches"...

* Is it £79 per year with no other extra subscription costs?

* Do you get unlimited next day delivery on all items for a whole year? No catches? No exceptions?

* Are the free tv shows/movies on Prime actually any good or is the paid for content what makes Prime worthwhile?

Cheers! :)

Caporegime
Amazon Prime Instant Video is crap. Anything worth watching is a paid extra.

The free delivery is great, but is only on Prime things, which is basically everything fulfilled by Amazon that's in stock. You can filter the search results to Prime only to help.

If I could, I'd go back to just being able to pay for the delivery, and not bother with the Video.

Caporegime
On Sunday prime is on offer for £59 for a year.

Whether the movies and shows are any good to you is down to you - have a look on the website and see. You also get Amazon Prime music and photo storage.

Associate
watched some good tv shows on there and they have just added music too , it's worth it for me next day delivery is well handy . 59 quid is a steal defo worth getting.

Associate
When i think of prime, it remind me of christmas. The amount of stuff i get delivered(next day) in the rush up to christmas pays for prime for the whole year. Anything else i get throughout the year is a bonus. You then get movies and tv shows and music. whats not to like? Plus you can share it with someone who stays at the same address(i think)? Get them to pay half.

Caporegime
* Do you get unlimited next day delivery on all items for a whole year? No catches? No exceptions?

There are some exceptions e.g. stuff sold by other vendors on Amazon isn't available for Prime delivery. They clearly state that something is not eligible for Prime delivery before you Add to Basket though so I don't mind it.

* Are the free tv shows/movies on Prime actually any good or is the paid for content what makes Prime worthwhile?

I'd describe it as good value for money, but not exceptional - definitely worth £59 for a year imo (also worth £79 a year). See the Amazon Prime TV thread for some decent Prime only TV series. Note only certain things are free to watch on Amazon Prime TV - some content you have to pay for, sometimes it's annoying e.g. if you have kids, seasons 1-2 of Peppa Pig is free but seasons 3 onwards aren't and they change what's free from time to time e.g. I was half way through season 3 of Oz when they decided to start charging for it. There's certainly a lot of free content though, and it's easy to find - most of it is questionable quality though there are some gems.

Last edited:

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Thanks all! :)

One last question:

* How exactly do you get Amazon Prime on your TV if you do not have a Smart TV with apps?
Chromecast, Roku, AppleTV, Xbox, PS, Net top, PC/Laptop/Tablet + HDMI, Smart phone/Tablet + Screencast. Take your pick.

Commissario
I use a fire TV box which also works well with Plex and Iplayer, and is easier than connecting the TV up to the PC (I've actually got two of the boxes now).

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that if you've got Prime and you don't need stuff next day you can get a 99p credit for digital content per delivery by choosing "no rush" on stuff that is in stock and sold by Amazon.
Those credits can quickly add up if you use Amazon a lot, I'm getting a fair few ebooks effectively free thanks to it (probably about £30+ worth this year).

Associate
I've noticed a bit of a scam on some items with Prime. Say the item is from Amazon Prime at £15 free delivery, the exact same item non-Prime is £12 plus £3 delivery. Where's the benefit in having Prime?! You've technically paid for delivery twice.

This doesn't apply to all items, and I'll admit I like Top Gear which will be an Amazon exclusive next year.

Soldato
You also get Amazon music, unlimited photo storage, free next day delivery on loads of stuff, prime video, kindle lending library.

No brainer for me, I have had 60 deliveries this year from presents, new bin, computer stuff, dog food etc etc - every single one has been next day without fail. Even sundays etc.

As above - if you don't need it next day you can bank up 99p everytime towards kindle books/music etc - it's very flexible.

I use the photo storage, the music on my phone and round the house etc - For £79 it's great value - for £59 as of next week special offer - it's a steal!!

Soldato
I ditched Prime when the price went up to include a video service I can't use (8km from exchange, get <1Mb at best).

I'd have kept it if the video was a separate fee as I used Amazon lots for the 2-3 years I had Prime but, since ditching it, I've realised that I've pretty much stopped using Amazon all together now, well except for Kindle. Shame really.

Soldato
At £6 odd a month i can't complain, You'll find on some items that are included in Prime you'll pay extra over non prime items, that's just their way of accounting for the free delivery.

Associate
Definitely worth it at £60 esp around this time of year.

Here's a sample of the films:

prime.jpg

prime_2.jpg

Just seen the Amazon Pantry section, that's another plus.

Back
Top Bottom