What fate awaits for the goods returned as unwanted?

Associate
CPU, seal opened, CPU installed and used, retailer would certainly take the hit.

Can't be reshelved and sold as new, imagine receiving a used i7 when paying full price, has to be knocked down to second hand value and sold as open box.

"The extent to which you can handle the goods is the same as it would be if you were assessing them in a shop."

I guess in terms of being in PCworld say, you wouldn't open the seal on an i7, pop it into your motherboard, then put back on shelf.

Soldato
If it’s been opened/used and returned as unwanted the retailer can refuse the return or make a reduction from the refund. Perfectly reasonable IMO. For an item to be returned as unwanted it must be in resaleable condition.

Faulty items are another matter and retailers can have policies that exceed your statutory rights (most do).

The exact nature of what constitues used depends on what you bought.

In the CPU scenario the retailer could refuse the return.

If it was a jumper that was shipped in a plastic outer wrapper (normal practice) then it would be reasonable to open it and try it on as you would be able to in the shop. You would not be able to cut the labels out or wear it for longer than trying it on for a few minutes. It’s normally very obvious when something has been worn or even washed (smell).

Soldato
I'm an online retailer, and deal with this a lot.
Anything more than handling in a shop means you can reject the return - which I do regularly. Not great, but people can't just expect to return things they've fitted and don't like for some reason or another.

Had some numpty fit suspension parts and try to return them as he wasn't happy with the quality - after doing 1000 miles, and absolutely no reason at all to justify his quality concerns when questions.
Turns out the car failed the MOT in the interim period for rust - so blatantly trying to return them as the car was being scrapped. The mind boggles

Back
Top Bottom