What film did you watch last night?

Hunger games cannot be compared to BR on any level

PERIOD

Apart from the whole 'teenagers placed in an outdoor arena and forced to kill each other until a winner is declared' part?

BR was a much more entertaining movie imo.
The first and second Hunger Games books were great though. If the film hadn't toned it down and glossed over so much of it, it would've been great.

The Hunger Games film was terrible.

It straddled between being a kids film and an adults film. Should either have been more violent (notice how much editing is done in each shot) and adult themed, or fully child like.

Apart from the whole 'teenagers placed in an outdoor arena and forced to kill each other until a winner is declared' part?

Not even that. HG has no fear...no darkness...no threat...no hatred...no sense of style, no futility.

Its a bland soggy omelete

BR is a scrabbled egg ...laced with tabasco that makes you wonder why **** is coming out of your ****.

I could go on about the editing..the sound...the acting...the characters..the direction etc....But I won't

Last edited:
I agree with you there :)

All I'm saying is that the core aspect of the 'games' is very similar, hence the constant comparisons.

Oh, and here's this from the back of the HG first book:

How did you come up with the idea for the Hunger Games?

Suzanne Collins: I was channel surfing between reality TV programming and actual war coverage when Katniss's story came to me.
One night I'm sitting there flipping around and on one channel there's a group of young people competing for, I don't know, money maybe? And on the next there's a group of young people fighting an actual war. And I was tired, and the lines began to blur in this very unsettling way, and I thought of this story.

Cough*BS*cough

I'm not saying it was straight ripped from BR or anything, but she's not telling the whole story there.

Last edited:
The Thing (1982)

Still a great horror film, very tense and the two hours just seem to fly by. Also my mind was blown when I read this theory about the ending. See below... :o

When you guys were talking about the ambiguous resolution to The Thing, it reminded me of a film analysis I read of the Thing in college, namely that the bottle of alcohol that Kurt Russell and Kieth David share at the end of the film is actually one of the bottles of ether or fuel that Kurt Russell was using for molotov cocktails. Kurt Russell never actually takes a drink of it, but Kieth David does. A human would know the difference between drinking a bottle of ether or gasoline immediately, but the creature has no reference for it, or a gag reflex that an actual human would have when drinking it. It drinks the bottle, imitating a human, not knowing that it was a trick on Macready's part to prove whether David's character had been taken by the creature or not."

Notice Kurt Russell's reaction to him drinking as the music hits.

ban request.

Ahaha that cracked me up. I'm sorry that my post initiated hatred but by saying "basically hunger games" I was just talking plot-wise. Just the basic idea of a load of kids (some of which against their wish, with a few crazy ones in the mix) being told to fight till the last one stands. Sounds mighty similar in that aspect.

That doesn't mean I thought they were the same, I thought BR was significantly better, less predictable and more enjoyable to watch the hunger games. Far more intense and less cheesy in my opinion. I would give hunger games maybe 5/10, I thought it was okay but it didn't have me gripped like BR did.

I hope I have redeemed myself just slightly...

Not even that. HG has no fear...no darkness...no threat...no hatred...no sense of style, no futility.

Its a bland soggy omelete

BR is a scrabbled egg ...laced with tabasco that makes you wonder why **** is coming out of your ****.

I could go on about the editing..the sound...the acting...the characters..the direction etc....But I won't

Assuming you're prepared to acknowledge that there is as much fear and futility in the organisers in Battle Royale as in the kids, then yes, I probably agree with much of what you're saying.

Looper - Gritty time travel film that has a few ideas to explore and does it pretty well. It wasn't perfect but kept me entertained and I was expecting a little more from some of the reviews. 4/5

Last edited:
Looper - Gritty time travel film that has a few ideas to explore and does it pretty well. It wasn't perfect but kept me entertained and I was expecting a little more from some of the reviews. 4/5

Have you tried Primer - probably my favourite time travel film. And all made on a budget of some $7000 apparently. The sound editing is a little poor at times ( when they are talking by the fountain for example ) but def a neat little gem and goes to show that all the money in the world can't beat a good story.

As for me tonight I shall be attempting rust and bone

Looper - 8.5/10

One of the best films I've seen in a while. Great mix of sci-fi, story driven, Tarantino style b-movie, great acting (that kid is amazing), direction, cinematography and entertaining characters. Much better than I was expecting, BW was on 12 Monkeys form and Emily Blunt is fantastic/hot. I thought I'd figured out the plot a couple of times, but then I realized that they intentionally give little bits away to lead the story in another direction. It's rare that I watch films more than once, but this will be one that does get a repeat viewing.

The Hunger Games film was terrible.

It straddled between being a kids film and an adults film. Should either have been more violent (notice how much editing is done in each shot) and adult themed, or fully child like.

That's exactly how I felt about it. A film that's stuck in no-man's land.

Back
Top Bottom