What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
After Earth - 2/10 - I'll happily take back every bad thing I said about the acting in "This is the End" after watching this bowl of tripe. It's more wooden than the forest this movie was shot in. The acting's poor, the script dire and the animal CGI is laughable. The only reason I gave it 2/10 and not lower was the Landscape CGI which is breath-taking at times.

It is terrible I also agree about the cgi, some was great some was really shockingly awful. I can't remember what the scene was really early in the film but it looked like a really bad quality in game video and there were several bits equally as bad. Some of the jumping around particularly in one of the final scenes also looked awful. Complete waste of time watching it, wasn't a good story, well acted or particularly interesting, painfully predictable and really poorly writen back story.

The premise of the kid being a coward and scared and having fear is.... his dad expected a what I dunno, 8-10year old kid to jump out of a sealed thing to fight a giant monster that he had literally 0% chance of hurting and would have 100% certainly have died???? Because the dad is unfeeling he's also utterly utterly stupid? Or in fact he doesn't feel fear..... so is basically autistic. I'd also point out the freezing over the planet surface thing yet the huge eagle or whatever it was had a next with babies in that would clearly have all died come nighttime anyway....

Associate
It is terrible I also agree about the cgi, some was great some was really shockingly awful. I can't remember what the scene was really early in the film but it looked like a really bad quality in game video and there were several bits equally as bad. Some of the jumping around particularly in one of the final scenes also looked awful. Complete waste of time watching it, wasn't a good story, well acted or particularly interesting, painfully predictable and really poorly writen back story.

The premise of the kid being a coward and scared and having fear is.... his dad expected a what I dunno, 8-10year old kid to jump out of a sealed thing to fight a giant monster that he had literally 0% chance of hurting and would have 100% certainly have died???? Because the dad is unfeeling he's also utterly utterly stupid? Or in fact he doesn't feel fear..... so is basically autistic. I'd also point out the freezing over the planet surface thing yet the huge eagle or whatever it was had a next with babies in that would clearly have all died come nighttime anyway....

Agreed .. it was pain fully bad 3/10

Caporegime
I quite enjoyed After Earth...

The kid was scared but that was the point, and the ending was obvious though, after the story Will Smith told you know that's exactly what is going to happen.

It's not the best blockbuster ever, in fact, I am not sure it is a blockbuster, its just okay. On the grand scheme of things...4/10

Although to list Earth as some Class 1 quarantine planet that is dangerous to humans all all there he encountered were some tigers, monkeys and a big eagle, oh and a deadly slug.

Not to mention there were no wild life going into the ship to attack Will Smith.

I also can't understand why they can't breath on Earth, has their bodies evolved that much in 1000 years? 1000 years is nothing in terms of evolution and being human they still need oxygen to breath and it seems there are trees aplenty.

Last edited:
Soldato
A few movies I have watched over the last few weeks:

World War Z - Really good. Almost 28 Days Later-esque. Give it 8/10
Lincoln - An absolutely brilliant and educational film. Solid 10/10
After Earth - Seriously WTF??? I can't even rate this movie it was that bad!
Dredd - Awesome as always! 9/10
Fast 6 - I will always love the Fast and Furious franchise and looking forward to number 7! 7/10

Soldato
Grabbed a couple off Sky on Demand over the weekend.

The Good Doctor - Billed as a creepy thriller, tried really hard but was slow and really hard to stay engaged with. Got a bit stupid towards the end. Not a thriller. 2/10

Locked In - Billed as twisting thriller, this was also not a thriller. Bad acting and the end was rubbish. 2/10

Soldato
After Earth - 6/10

Meh-ish film for an hour and half, just not something I'll go back to again. Will Smith really aged well but Jaden Smith's character is a little off putting. Winey and annoying. Not quite a Sci Fi, intresting lore but focus is about Father & Son. I should have know it's M. Night Shyamalan's work, would have expected less.

Equilibrium - 8/10

One of my favourites. Interesting watching it again with the missus, noticing how they've used colours and 'no-colours' (Grey surrounds) in different scene in this totalitarian / Big Brother world for the sake of Peace. Anyone noticed the Vice Chancellor's room is surrounded with 'Paintings' when it's supposedly an EC10 (banned) item?

VoG

VoG

Soldato
Conan The Barbarian ( 2011 ) 3/10. Oh dear, i don't know what the hell happened with this movie, i actually lost interest & turned over to the Discovery channel to watch Ice Pilots, which isn't a good sign to say the least. :p

Drive Angry. 6.5/10. It was garbage, buuuut, oddly enjoyable garbage.
Some of the special effects where at times risible, Nicolas Cage's hairstyle was so farcicle i couldn't take my bloody eyes of it, & the non 3D versions over emphasis on body parts flying towards the camera got tiresome after awhile, & not to mention some of the set pieces where just so OTT.
The film as a whole, drifted into the realm of so bad it was good. :D

Man of Honour
Although to list Earth as some Class 1 quarantine planet that is dangerous to humans all all there he encountered were some tigers, monkeys and a big eagle, oh and a deadly slug.

Not to mention there were no wild life going into the ship to attack Will Smith.

I also can't understand why they can't breath on Earth, has their bodies evolved that much in 1000 years? 1000 years is nothing in terms of evolution and being human they still need oxygen to breath and it seems there are trees aplenty.

Agreed on those points. I doubt plant live evolved over such a short time period to no longer produce Oxygen, so with nobody residing there, the atmosphere would surely correct itself pretty quickly.

Not to mention as you say, life has supposedly evolved to kill humans, but what we saw was pretty tame, and nothing a shotgun couldn't handle, so where is the danger?

The movie was all effects (and even those weren't spectacular) and no meat.

Soldato
MooMoo444 said:

The movie was purely made as a platform to push Will Smith Jr into leading actor status. A Will Smith film where he spends the whole film sitting on his ass, is just a poor show all round.

Soldato
Oblivion - this time on Blu ray- still a great movie although much better on the big screen. Missus did not think highly of this film :/

Started watching 24 again (season 1) this time with the missus who I managed to persuade. She thought it was going to be rubbish - we watched episodes 1-8 yesterday and she didn't want to stop.
Great series imo.

Caporegime
End of Watch. I liked it, but not as much as I thought I would. It was perfectly competent and well executed, but somehow it didn't quite hang together. I think maybe the plot felt a bit too disconnected. Like, there was a lot going on, but a lot of it wasn't totally relevant to what ultimately happened. Maybe it needed to be a bit more focused or something.

Still, Anna Kendrick. Omnomnom.

Caporegime
Agreed on those points. I doubt plant live evolved over such a short time period to no longer produce Oxygen, so with nobody residing there, the atmosphere would surely correct itself pretty quickly.

Not to mention as you say, life has supposedly evolved to kill humans, but what we saw was pretty tame, and nothing a shotgun couldn't handle, so where is the danger?

Nothing Crocodile Dundee couldn't handle.

Soldato
Iron Man 3

I actually liked it. RDJ was great as always.
Him not being in the suit for most of the film wasn't a problem for me, though the end extravaganza was a little much tbh.
The whole Mandarin thing was ok with me too, though I guess it was a bit of a shame that they weren't authentic with the character.

Can see why some didn't like it though. Ah well... :)

Back
Top Bottom