What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
I enjoyed pacific rim for what it is, a giant fighting robot film. Just as it was advertised to be. I didn't go into the cinema expecting to see a shakespearean tale of giant fighting robots. It did a great job of emulating it's source material. The special effects were brilliant and it was just simply epic.

For leave your brain at the door score I give it 8/10

Forgetting to take my brain out I'd give it 3/10

Caporegime
Yes, that's why MooMoo said character names, not actors?.......

They played an important role and although they constantly feed you a little bit of info on Hawkeye and Black Widow (remember that that in such and such mission etc), it's not the same as 2 hulk movies, 3 iron man movies, Thor and an captain America movie.

Soldato
MooMoo didn't say anything about character names...

He said: "How the hell does one simply walk into the Avengers not knowing who Nick Fury is? The other two I can understand...but Nick Fury??"

I think you're misunderstanding what I meant when I said the Sam Jackson thing.

Soldato
Pacific rim on the small screen..... Meh, saw it at the cinema on release and thought the story was weak back then but the size of it all over shadowed that and I quite enjoyed it.

The internship
Enjoyed this myself and would actually go as far as giving it 7/10

The Heat
Once again enjoyed this, but not as much as above. 6/10

I've got Lone Ranger to watch next few days, not expecting much.

Caporegime
Oh God... How pedantic do want to get about this?

It's night and day difference.

We all know who Samuel L Jackson is, Scarlett Johansson and even Jeremy Renner, I've never heard of Hawkeye, Black widow or Nick Fury (ok, except 1 scene in iron man) until the avengers.

That was the point, The Avengers doesn't tell you much about these characters and they had a big role, especially in the case of Black Widow and Hawkeye, I mean, has he got some super human upgrade to be able to shoot arrows like that? Is there a reason why only arrows and never guns?

Soldato
Perhaps you took my Sam Jackson line a bit too literally. Maybe I should've used a smilie or something... :)

Since they don't mention any powers for these guys, it's pretty fair to assume that they're just very highly skilled agents. Of course, you have to suspend disbelief for some of their antics, such as the arrow into the computer bit in the Avengers.

Arrows are just his thing.

Commissario
I watched the 1978 version of Carrie for the first time in full last night, it was better than I thought, although the new blu-ray release is a little bare bones and counter intuitive (rather than it going to a menu when it loads, or even after the film finishes it loops straight back to playing the film again - you have to select menu on the remote to even know it's there).
The PQ is also a little poor, which may be to do with the film stock used, it seems very grainy compared to most films I can remember from the period*.

I'd give it about a 7/10 for the film , and probably a 5/10 for the actual blu-ray, it almost feels like they only did the blu-ray because they had to, or needed it to promote the new film.

*Alien and Aliens looked better, and IIRC they had fairly serious issues with grain due to the film stock used for the dark shots.

Associate
Pacific Rim
0/10

Special effects cannot save a movie.

Totally agree. I was annoyed when I couldn't get any of my friends to go and see this with me at the cinema, but now I realise they did me a favour. I knew the characters and script would be cliche, but this was next level awful. The special effects weren't all that impressive either. Too much going on on screen to work out what was happening. Very disappointing.

Man of Honour
I think I'm the only person in the world who really enjoyed the Lone Ranger :(

Over long? Yes.
Patchy Tone? Yes.
Worth it just for the train sequence with the Theme music from the show? Definitely!

Tarantino has it in his top 10 list of 2013, along with a load of films i haven't heard of. Although bit of an odd time to do a 2013 list as we have a large part of 2013 left, probably from a magazine interview or something.

Caporegime
I think I'm the only person in the world who really enjoyed the Lone Ranger :(

Over long? Yes.
Patchy Tone? Yes.
Worth it just for the train sequence with the Theme music from the show? Definitely!

I thought the train scene had it's moments but was mostly cack as well.

THe horse on train CGI looked awful, the shooting each other just felt stupid and overly long considering no one hit anything and from what I recall no passengers got hit either.

The music looped for too long which made it feel stupid, it was like "nice, the music, classic.......... oh, there it is again, ok........ wtf, this entire boring scene in an overly long boring film is being extended just to have the music on for as long as possible.... ".

The lead was awful, the Lone Ranger wasn't likeable, personable, funny, anything, they picked the blandest person on earth possible to play the most blandly written character ever, then they put Jack Sparrow in the film in a new costume. The ladder bit, which was just a scene written for and acted out in Jack sparrow fashion, was decent but the rest of it was meh. Overly long, dragging out the classic music, rubbish actual action.

The film was missing any connect to the main character. They needed to cut craploads out and add some more bits to actually suggest the woman was in love with/had a connection with the father or fathers brother. The kid later on was supposed to shoot the uncle because his dad was killed, even though we saw about 2 seconds of the kid with the dad.

They managed to do a bank robbery.... yet no one reacted or did anything, outside of getting the explosives they did no chase scene, never said why considering he had a badge he couldn't have asked for access, the baddies would know the bank had been robbed and explosives gone but nothing was mentioned about it at all.

Horribly written film.

Back
Top Bottom