1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What film did you watch last night?

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Richeh, 2 Sep 2009.

1. krooton

Caporegime

The Change Up

2011 adult version of the old Freaky Friday tale, featuring Jason Bateman and Ryan Reynolds. Gross out humour, but with a few good LOL moment. Plus Olivia Wilde is SO hot. And you get to see Leslie Mann's boobs.

6/10

2. Efour

Caporegime

Girl on a train. 5\10

Free showing so didn't care too much.
    Gf had read the book so I was totally clueless.

It's a chicklfilm thriller... Need I say more..
    Covers topics and a story that only a 30 year old divorced bitter bitch would care about.

Emily blunt ? Main woman is pretty superb, Inc Oscar nomination? But the films boring too long and obvious.

Doesn't translate from the book well or bad choices in production...

3. Mak3R

Wise Guy

Train to Busan. 7/10

Very entertaining, the claustrophobic setting of the train helped a lot I think. Some interesting takes on the zombies too and what they do.
    Dodgy subtitle file made it funny a bit too :D

4. bimbleuk

Wise Guy

Too many mentions so I have to watch this one now.

5. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

White Men Can't Jump. Pretty entertaining basketball hustle film from the early 90s. Great performances from Woody Harrelson and Wesley Snipes. Endless trash talk and swearing, which got a bit tiring at times.

6. melmac

Sgarrista

Haven't seen the film, but, I thought the book was

After reading the book I have no interest in watching the movie.

7. DrToffnar

Mobster

I guess most peoples girlfriends, myself (a 25 year old male) and nearly all our mothers are bitches then xD

In all seriousness though, I don't get arguments like this. Especially one's stating that the movie is all about how men are 'pigs'.

Rubbish.

If you're a man who truly has that opinion of this movie, you need to get over yourself and remember the basic structure necessary to make a good thiller and that one or perhaps 2 of the antagonists might just have to be male.

Last edited: 26 Oct 2016
  8. Jokester

Don

Deepwater Horizon 9/10
    Brought on the tears this, mainly due to the similarity to Piper Alpha and it was good to see the makers didn't go to overboard with artistic license and seemed to give an authentic look of life on a rig (explosions excluded).

I would imagine it's actually pretty accurate depiction of what happened up until perhaps the bit with the crane.

9. jsmoke

Capodecina

Braveheart, first time I've seen it. I couldn't to justice to review it, certainly gets you fired up. Not sure about accuracy though.

10. BriT

Mobster

Inferno - Tom Hanks was good in it, story was ok. overall not bad 6.5/10

11. darreny

Mobster

Probably not the best thing to mention

12. Iron-man

Wise Guy

I watched 13 hours last night which was a pretty good true story about the CIA in Benghazi.

Worth a watch

13. Destination

Capodecina

Two recently

Star Trek Beyond
    Fine as an action flick, well filmed. Looked good, but as with virtually all star trek films, seems to miss the star trek vibe, everyone doing a good portrayal of the original case, love Karl Urban as the doc, he has that down to a tee.
    Bad guy was the issue, all built up to the need to use some super weapon for some point or other that he seemed to think was important, instead of just battering the life out of the space station with his fleet of very hard to kill vessels.
    Plot points may the story irritating, i can happily suspend science when watching star trek, but can't suspend idiocy.
    Also that federation space base, brand new, just finished, yet fully populated by millions of people, despite beind in deep space. Like the 'red matter' plot point in his first star trek film, it just doesn't make sense.

14. Destination

Capodecina

X-men apocalyse

Set between first class and days of future past
    Well filmed, greatscenes, good powers all blended into basic dullness.
    I think the main problem is they are covering ground they have covered too many times before.
    Yes big badguy, yes world getting ripped apart, but there seemed no actual threat.

15. jubei

Mobster

lol that synopsis :)

I watched the new Jack Reacher film and was disappointed after enjoying the first one i was really looking forward to another good action film.

As alluded by other reviewers the bad guy is like a pantomime 'baddie'. The action scenes are okay but it just didn't click with me like the first did. Guess i am waiting for the new John Wick now, though i still have the new Bourne to watch too.

16. SixTwoSix

Capodecina

What made you think this? In the simplest of terms FC is 60's, DOFP 70's and the latest one is 80's.

17. Wizzfizz

Capodecina

Grimsby

Bloody awful film in every aspect

1/10

18. GeezerButler

Wise Guy

Just had the new blu-ray of John Carpenter's Christine delivered yesterday and just watched. Haven't seen it for years and really enjoyed it. Like most Stephen King adaptations there's loads missing, but this one still works even though they messed with the storyline.

Shame they had to apparently trash over 20 Plymouths during shooting :(.

Also got IT on blu-ray so need to finish watching that - Tim Curry rocks :).

19. httk

Hitman

Moneyball (2011)

Compelling if a little schmaltzy.

Has more baseball terminology than other films of its ilk (which are usually just about one person being really plucky and getting home runs) but still enjoyable.

7/10

20. Destination

Capodecina

DOFP is a time jump film, the latter stage of it, is certainly in the future, initially the sentinel war, and secondly all flash forwards were to a point well past the third film.
    That's what I meant, at the end of DOFP we have Patrick Stewart saying he has been awaiting Logan popping in for a catchup chat for some time.
    I would have expected the third film to involve that aspect of storyline being progressed.
    It seems not to be the case, they have instead jumped back to the 80s and filled an entire film with something that just seemed more of the same with no threat, no impending doom, it just missed so much.