What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Das Boot (1981)

A brilliant WW2 submarine film about a German U-Boat crew during the Battle of the Atlantic. Gripping from start to finish and very believable. Definitely one to watch in German with the subtitles on too.

9/10

The film is an edited down version of a full mini-series. The whole thing is quite an experience, so if you enjoyed the film version, you should try the full version.

Soldato
Oh wow, is that available to buy on blu-ray too do you know?

Yeah, I've had the DVD version on my shelves for years, Amazon has a Blu-ray version here. IIRC, the Director's Cut movie turns it more into an action film, where the series goes more into the characters, and the slow tension bits where they are stuck in the submarine, so parts of it are more slower, considered and thoughtful, interspersed with the terror of combat and the relief of being back home on leave.

Last edited:
Associate
Deadpool 5/10

I found it a bit dull. Few laughs here and there. I much prefer KickAss as the more adult superhero style film.

Associate
Star Trek Beyond.

Worst of the three IMO, it was okay, but nothing special.

6/10

See I thought it was the best of the 3. The other 2 seemed to drag a touch. This one kept me entertained throughout.

A 6 to 7 is a fair assessment for all of them given they really just action films in space now.

Caporegime
Das Boot (1981)

A brilliant WW2 submarine film about a German U-Boat crew during the Battle of the Atlantic. Gripping from start to finish and very believable. Definitely one to watch in German with the subtitles on too.

9/10

The mini series is truly superb!

Soldato
Cromwell 8/10

Watched it on BBC just this afternoon. It's a movie from 1970 starring Richard Harris. He was a really great actor. Didn't expect to watch the whole thing but it was very compelling and a good history lesson on how modern day government came to be.

Soldato
Swiss Army Man - 9/10.

I love movies that take you on a journey to some place strange and this took me to somewhere very strange! It sits along side Hunt for the Wilderpeople as my favourite movie of 2016. Great escapism.

Soldato
The Accountant 8.8/10 best film ive seen this year :D

Magic 8/10 (oldish Anthony Hopkins film) great film just to see AH give a mesmerizing performance in this psychological drama.

Soldato
See I thought it was the best of the 3. The other 2 seemed to drag a touch. This one kept me entertained throughout.

A 6 to 7 is a fair assessment for all of them given they really just action films in space now.

Main plot of 3 is Captain Kirk thinking about quitting (getting a desk job) because he is bored and not motivated anymore to explore the galaxy..... absolutely farcical

Soldato
Main plot of 3 is Captain Kirk thinking about quitting (getting a desk job) because he is bored and not motivated anymore to explore the galaxy..... absolutely farcical

And the bad guy is star fleet, just annoyed at being left behind.
And he attacks a brand new, deep space orbital hub.... which just happens to be populated by millions if not billions.... yet it is brand new, and fully developed, and mature.
The suspend your disbelief is fine for sci-fi but when the non sci-fi bits are gubbins, it makes things difficult.

Like that crap in the first one about romulus being destroyed, and unfortunately them not getting mytical unexplained plot point, red matter, there in time, even thought it wouldn't have saved the planet.
What?

Basic idiocy ruins action films.