1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What film did you watch last night?

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Richeh, 2 Sep 2009.

1. Rifte

Mobster

The Accountant (2016) 9/10

Really enjoyed this movie, and I felt Affleck's portrayal of autism was fantastic.

My wife predicted the twist way before I did.....I suppose in hind sight it was kinda obvious.

Great movie.

2. ZXSpectrum

Capodecina

I watched The Lobster last night.. LOL Was very weird but intriguing and compelling. I couldn't even really explain to someone who asked what it was about..

3. beachBOYken

Capodecina

You would be surprised what Netflix releases sometimes.

Eddie the Eagle and another movie called Hunt for the Wilderpeople, are very recent editions both of which I had on my bluray rental list, the latter not even out until 16th Jan at a certain rental company.

4. Surfer

Capodecina

Yes i agree. Affleck was very good and i dont normally like him that much.

I have to say i initially thought the twist would be that the agency financial director dude was actually Affleck's dad. Also who is the Voice? Was that the girl on the computer at the end? Another mini twist as well.

5. krooton

Caporegime

Passengers

Yes, the start is slow, but that is intentional. I really enjoyed it, lovely looking ship, and JLaw was yummy.

7/10

Keeping Up With The Joneses

Mr & Mrs Smith meets *insert generic suburban comedy here*. No real laughs at all, the only saving grace is Gal and Isla in their knickers/sexy dresses.

4/10

6. Magik5

Gangster

Hidden Figures

Pretty good story, well acted and inspirational - 7.5/10

7. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

Assassin's Creed

Better than i expected, absurd in many aspects, lots of plot holes, but wasn't bored. Seen worse in 2016.

Hidden Figures

Advance screening, good movie, inspirational true story and worth seeing.

8. FoxEye

Caporegime

Batman vs Superman - Dawn of Justice - 6/10

Felt in a lot of ways like watching The Matrix 3 without having seen the first two. Seemed like there really wouldn't be much left to do after this film.

Now we've all seen the backstory to Batman and Superman's characters, so you can understand why the film brushes over all that.

But sadly there's almost no character development for anyone, here. Lex Luthor is especially weak. He has precious little screen time, and his sole motivation is as follows: "I want to kill Superman because my Dad fisted me as a child." And that's it.

One of the principle characters only really makes an appearance right at the very end, for the CGI heavy finale.

The film is quite slow, and much of the running time is sadly dedicated to Batman brooding in one place or another. Sad then that so little time is given to fleshing out any of the characters or telling a compelling story.

Die-hard comic fans will be getting mostly what they want. CGI battles between their favourite comic characters. General audiences will probably find the film a bit wanting.

9. SixTwoSix

Capodecina

Die hard comic fan checking in. ;)

I didn't get what I wanted, I got a mess of three movies crammed into one with occasional moments that satisfied.

Affleck is superb as Batman, he gets the character spot on, both in suit and as Wayne. He's also finally someone who seems to have the build and athleticism to portray batman right in fight scenes.

Loved WW and Alfred, didn't care for anything else...there has never been a good Superman on film or TV and doubt there ever will be. Lex was just Joker light.

10. Rifte

Mobster

I suppose there were 3 'twists' in this film really:

1)The CEO was behind everything
    2)The assassin was Affleck's brother
    3)I took it that the girl on the computer at the end was Affleck's 'handler/voice'

11. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

I guessed the first 2 but didn't see the 3rd coming.

12. ZXSpectrum

Capodecina

Agreed, he is superb. The fight scenes are brilliant and you feel the impact of his punches, kicks and throws. They did take a little bit of a liberty in BvS with his strength and agility but Batman is a Comic Book Superhero so its to be expected. The Bruce Wayne persona is great as well. Looks like its going to shine in Justice League, Cant wait!

13. httk

Hitman

This, except I think I would give it a 5/10, the action scenes weren't bad and it was ok for what it was, i.e. did what it said on the tin.

14. neviditelny

Wise Guy

last night I watched The Fellowship of the Ring, the extended version.. Started with it due to seeing one of the battle scenes from the last movie in another topic here and realised I haven't seen those movies in maybe 10 years, so of I went :D

15. Uncle Petey

Capodecina

I dug out the blurays and watched all three extended editions (one a day - I'm not that diehard!) last week, and it was quality.
    Book purists may have their issues, but these films are brilliant IMO.

16. DrToffnar

Mobster

Had last week off so decided to session some films.

Videodrome
    God I love Cronenburg. Such a viscerally original movie and definitely one of his best flicks to date. No one ever really did practical effects quite like Cronenburg and his crew and this movie showcases some of there best work.

Prometheus

Watched all the Alien movies just after Christmas and decided to skip Prometheus for obvious reasons. However, several people told me to give it a second chance so... sigh. It's not an awful movie, it's just quite bad.
    How the script ever got greenlit I'll never know and the screenplay is arguably even worse. Such a poorly paced movie throughout with the THE LEAST developed characters the franchise has ever seen. Such a shame because there's some promise in a few of it's ideas but it just never seems to follow through. Sadly, it still remains the nonsensical drivel I thought it was after the first viewing.

Black Swan

Saw this 3 times at the flicks and obviously really enjoyed it. Thought perhaps it might have been my late teenage angst that had me go back for multiple viewings but no! It's actually as good as I remember it being. One thing I didn't pick up on initially was just how well that handheld camera style really contributes to that sense of building dread.
    It's just excellent! Every single performance is on point and the cinematography is just perfect. Shout to Clint Mansell as well for crafting one of the best scores of the last 10 years.

The Will Be Blood

Still PTA's best work to date and one of my favourite movies of all time. Holds up after each subsequent viewing and gets better and better if anything. No one quite throws a shot together like Robert Elswit either. As much as I love Deakins, Elswit is still my favourite. There's this level of depth and place he manages to put on screen that few, if any have ever mastered IMO. Daniel Day Lewis... I mean, what can I say that hasn't already been said about his performance here? Masterful in every respect.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2017
  17. DrToffnar

Mobster

dupe

18. Steampunk

Sgarrista

It was apparently a victim of the screenwriters strike, so Ridley Scott was knocking out the script on the fly, and boy does it show. It's very poor in just about every aspect except for the visual effects. Given how many great Alien stories and canon that the likes of Dark Horse wrote, you would think that a production costing $130 million could do better.

19. DrToffnar

Mobster

Ahhh well, I guess that explains a lot... Still need out check out the Dark Horse stuff!

20. SixTwoSix

Capodecina

The original script "Alien: Engineers" script by Jon Spaihts is excellent and full on Alien-esque, try and find it online and have a read.

Unfortunately Scott decided to alter the course of the movie mid-production and turn it into a non Alien movie in the Alienverse, cue Damon Lindelof and the hack job we now know as Prometheus.