What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Passengers 7.5/10 - I actually enjoyed it! I am not sure if it's because I went in expecting a love story/drama after reading reviews on here or what but it exactly met my expectations, therefore I enjoyed it! What was quite a refreshing change was to see Christ Pratt not being the insta-hero like he is in every other movie. How he panics, barely holds it together, how he deals with the loneliness etc. JL is always delicious to see on screen as well. Yep, I liked it! :)

Dr Strange 7/10 - I had been wanting to see this for a while. I thought they made him pick up the magic side of it all too quickly for the sake of cramming in more action. But without a doubt the CGI is top notch, the usual witty marvel banter was good. Easy to watch overall :)

Didn't like BC's American accent. But I've seen him in so much now with a strong natural British accent I just find it a bit weird to hear him without it!

L.A. Confidential 8/10 - What a corker of a movie! I've had this in my library for a long time but never got around to seeing it. Then a visiting friend this weekend saw it and insisted we all watch it (as nobody else in the room other than him had seen it) - and my god, I'm glad we did! Guy Pearce, Kevin Spacey & Russell Crowe along with all the other cast were fantastic. The story was excellent and just everything about it is great. A must see!

Permabanned
The Nice Guys

Been years and years since I found a movie genuinely funny. Having been raised by the likes of Mel Brookes, Norman Wisdom, Python etc., I find it very hard to connect with the quip filled movies of today. But this flick killed me! Such a unique brand of humour and Goslings casting is absolutely superb. It won't be for everyone, but no style of comedy is.

The Meaning Of Life

Still my favourite Python movie. The sets are so ridiculously lavish and it has some of my favourite sketches in (the best of course being Palins 'up and down the square'). Having only recently seen 'Brazil' (now my favourite movie), it was great to see that this feature was very much Gilliam flexing his directorial muscles in preparation for that. Soooooooooooooooo good.

Associate
Watched Bourne Legacy at the weekend as never watched it before but quite liked the Bourne movies.
I liked that it was side by side to the main Bourne story line and was hoping that i would do somethings different but then basically at then end turned into another bourne film.
*queue moby music*
6/10

Associate
Fantastic Beasts
I really enjoyed this, bit darker than the Potter films, rather predictable (oddly, I'm someone who doesn't have much of a problem with predictability) and a great lead.
Not earth shattering, but a fun couple of hours.
7/10

Soldato
Girl Interrupted - ladies in a mental institute in 60's America. Nothing special but then not bad either. Highlight is a very young Angelina Jolie as a Randall McMurphy type character (hard not to draw parallels). 3/5

Associate
The Nice Guys

Been years and years since I found a movie genuinely funny. Having been raised by the likes of Mel Brookes, Norman Wisdom, Python etc., I find it very hard to connect with the quip filled movies of today. But this flick killed me! Such a unique brand of humour and Goslings casting is absolutely superb. It won't be for everyone, but no style of comedy is.

Go watch Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang if you haven't already. One of my fav comedies and something I think this movie was trying to be but didn't quite get there.

Associate
X-Men Apocolypse - 7/10

Enjoyed this a lot. The Quicksilver 80's 'music video' was brilliant. I felt that some of the characters could have been fleshed out more though - although I assume there's going to be another one.

Caporegime
Raw (Showfilmfirst screening)

We went in with no idea what it was about, turns out it was a French-Belgian, subtitled horror with gore, comedy, and general European-ness.

Some very weird scenes, some make-you-gag moments, and overall felt like a good, foreign, extended episode of The Outer Limits. Stories of people fainting or puking watching the film must be greatly exaggerated though.

6/10

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Patriot's Day - 8.5 / 10

Not sure if it was the reality of the story but it really struck a chord. Both my fiancee and I were sat in silence as the credits rolled and the "real" character profiles were shown. We both immediately said it was good and it made me a little bit angry with the world. One of Wahlberg's better performances.

Associate
Evan Almighty (2007) - 4/10

A mildly amusing and entertaining film which accomplishes everything it sets out to do except make you laugh.

Although it has a good premise and lead actor, it lacks originality and plays it far too safe with the content.

Lots of animals and a moral message, but the blue screen quality varies significantly, and although silly in parts, it is rarely ever funny.

Associate
Life (2017) - 7/10

A strong, but by-the-numbers, sci-fi thriller.

Good mix of horror, use of characters, special effects and ending, but it doesn’t really delve into what life is about, and brings nothing new to the genre.

It’s also difficult not to draw comparisons to ‘Alien’, which is by far the better film, but this film still offers an entertaining time.

Back
Top Bottom