What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
oooh look the raid was popular lets copy that formula :p .

Dredd was filmed way before The Raid but the extra time taken for the SFX meant it was released after the Raid, which screwed Dredd as most people didn't know, as per your comment.

stallones was was great fun, different ideas some really good actors in it.

Stallones film was closer in looks to the original but way too campy whilst Dredd was closer in tone which is why JD fans tend to prefer Dredd over Stallones version. I thought both were enjoyable attempts at filming the character from two very different viewpoints but I prefer the "realistic" take of Dredd of the two.

Soldato
dont get whats good about the newer version. hi im dreadd.goes to tower block.whole film.few special effects same as many before .oooh look the raid was popular lets copy that formula

Except The Raid is a rip off of Dredd...as ianh says below. To expand a little as i've said a few pages back, The Raid went into production within weeks of the Dredd script leaking online.

Dredd was filmed way before The Raid but the extra time taken for the SFX meant it was released after the Raid, which screwed Dredd as most people didn't know, as per your comment.

Stallones film was closer in looks to the original but way too campy whilst Dredd was closer in tone which is why JD fans tend to prefer Dredd over Stallones version. I thought both were enjoyable attempts at filming the character from two very different viewpoints but I prefer the "realistic" take of Dredd of the two.

The only good things about Stallone's Dredd is the world that was created looks like a more regular comic book mega city one and the ABC warrior.

Associate
<snip> No one on earth would buy cosmetic items or power ups using real money in Call of Duty if they disappeared as soon as you died and had to be bought again, literally no one. People buy them because they are persistent, <snip> .

I'm not so sure that they wouldn't! It could be the next stage in games industry money-making...

Expansion Packs --> DLC --> Pay to win --> Loot Boxes --> Single-Use-Only Power-ups for real cash ???

They probably exist already in one form or another on mobile games.

Just because you or I might think it ridiculous doesn't mean there aren't kids and/or hardcore "gamez iz life" people out there that wouldn't pay. If the industry could push it this way, they would. It just depends if there's enough resistance from consumers and journalists / youtubers / Twitch. Thankfully, for the time-being at least, I think there would be.

Soldato
It's not as clear in the film as it is in the book but the OASIS has many non-PVP areas where "normal" people conduct business hang out, go to school etc and never ever go to the game part of the simulation. In which case the clothes aren't at risk.

Soldato
Rampage - 2/10 - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.............................Nope! Naomi Harris earns both points for an average performance of the worst script I've seen in a while. Everything and everyone else involved was excruciatingly poor.

Soldato
No one on earth would buy cosmetic items or power ups using real money in Call of Duty if they disappeared as soon as you died and had to be bought again, literally no one.
not to derail the thread but I'd disagree with that. there'd be plenty of folk buying expendable cosmetics or power ups. it's how a lot of mobile phone games work, in a round about sort of way. there will always be people willing to spend their(or mum and dads) money on such things for that short lived rush and e-peen.

Soldato
Ready Player One - 6/10 - Enjoyable enough for an afternoon watch but ultimately another Spielberg film which doesn't really feel "good enough" from such an amazing director, who really should be hitting 8+/10 films out the park instead of this stuff. It's competently made, the visuals are extremely good for the most part and the acting is fine but there's just some spark missing which make the film feel a little flat for me.

Caporegime
Den blomster tiden kommer. 7/10

If you can handle foreign films, and it turned up on the UK, it's a fairly ok attempt at a "disaster" type film from a svensk pov.
Kind of childhood romance regrets, bad parenting comes good, with an odd mix of WW3 and suspension and home alone O_o.

First 2 thirds are really good but the last was just OTT.

Caporegime
Ready Player One..... 3/10

It's like a poorly done version of Wreck it Ralph. It spends the entire film making old pop culture references but in a way that was kinda sad and embarrassing rather than nice nods to old stuff it was just every other thing being a reference shoved down your throat. For a Spielberg film it was surprisingly bad (well Crystal Skulls abomination aside).

The entire film feels like a very poorly written, horrible attempt to cash in on the same people who loved the nods to old games by making another film doing that but in a different way. Whole thing was exceptionally ham fisted, poorly acted, terrible plot and insanely frustrating.

Just the technical details were constantly frustrating, things like they play on omnidirectional treadmills... except any time that isn't convenient they do something else. At one point of the film everyone is walking around the streets with VR headsets on yet no one walking into traffic somehow.

Ultimately I think one of the most frustrating things throughout is the main premise of the film making no sense. No one on earth would buy cosmetic items or power ups using real money in Call of Duty if they disappeared as soon as you died and had to be bought again, literally no one. People buy them because they are persistent, yet this entire film is based around the premise that people get into debt and buy items which disappear when you 'zero out' but they all decide to live in this VR world precisely because they can risk their lives doing things they won't or can't in real life.

The main thing that got me was the end:

Closing the world down on a Wednesday, yeah what about us shift workers! Or people who live their lifes every other day. Bloody power mad brat.

Caporegime
The Death of Stalin.

A kind of British comedy take on Comrade Stalin and the events following his death which shaped the Soviet Union. It was a very dark comedy for a really serious time. Worth a watch!

Soldato
The Death of Stalin.

A kind of British comedy take on Comrade Stalin and the events following his death which shaped the Soviet Union. It was a very dark comedy for a really serious time. Worth a watch!

Was going to watch that last night but didn't have time, noticed it had just appeared on Prime. Will watch over weekend for sure.

Don
Momentum - 4/10
Started well enough, but James Purefoy total hammy acting was a massive turnoff and ended up calling it quits during his post torture scene monologue about Olga’s characters back story. Torture in itself.

Back
Top Bottom