What film did you watch last night?

Associate
The Shape of Water (2017)

Beautifully made, but I was ultimately disappointed with how 2-dimensional/stereotypical most characters were and how predictable/cliched the story is. I was expecting something more nuanced/original after all the praise and awards the film received.

Caporegime
Sicario 2

Yeah, its alright. Some nice cinematography and the same music buildup
BUT. It's just not as good as the first. Its good but its not awesome. Still worth a watch.
I didnt really like much of the film in the last 1/4... Its still good but it started doing stupid things...
7.5/10 but a few niggles.

Caporegime
Ex Machina (2015)

Had never seen this before. I knew very little of it other than the small blurb on IMDB.

Well, what can I say! Amazing! Incredible CGI which I feel was way ahead of its time. Really really good fun and enjoyed watching. Great acting all round I thought.

Did not see the plot twist coming either! It all seemed to be progressing so peacefully and then it got seriously dark!

Permabanned
The Shape of Water (2017)

Beautifully made, but I was ultimately disappointed with how 2-dimensional/stereotypical most characters were and how predictable/cliched the story is. I was expecting something more nuanced/original after all the praise and awards the film received.

Indeed. Ultimately it just didn't do enough to be in anyway thought provoking or intriguing imo. It's a competently paced narrative experience with a quirky add on that never feels anywhere near as interesting as it should, which is fairly odd considering the calibre of the people involved.

Associate
Adrift (2018) - 8/10

A great true story of surviving against the odds with an emotional ending.

There is a good balance between the good and the bad times, although the transition can sometimes be a bit jarring, and the characters are well developed and very well acted.

The roar of the sea and special effects make for a powerful impact, as do the quiet times and beautiful, if desolate, scenery.

It treads familiar ground plot-wise, both in its tale of survival and love story, but is never boring.

Associate
Unsane - Claire Foy (her from The Crown) - she gives a pretty decent performance. Not a lot of characters or a huge storyline/plot but I enjoyed it. Shot on an iPhone 7 by Mr Steven Soderbergh. I personally didn't really notice it.

Solid 7/10.

Soldato
Unsane - Claire Foy (her from The Crown) - she gives a pretty decent performance. Not a lot of characters or a huge storyline/plot but I enjoyed it. Shot on an iPhone 7 by Mr Steven Soderbergh. I personally didn't really notice it.

Solid 7/10.
might give it another try then based in that. :)

Associate
Sicario Soldado (2018) - 7/10

Another successful entry in the Sicario series, but not as gripping or as thrilling as the first.

Good story, showing the brutal and bloody side of modern warfare against terrorism, but seems to run out of ideas half way through and keeps repeating itself.

Tense with tight action scenes and solid acting from the leads, if a bit on the grim side.

Soldato
Gone Baby Gone 5.5/10

Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for this movie, but, it just didn't grab me at all. I didn't feel any empathy for any of the characters. The film is so disjointed that by the time the final twist came I just didn't care. Casey Affleck is so dull and his voice is a boring monotone. He never looked happy, sad, scared, angry, nothing, just the same expression on his face the whole movie. The girlfriend wasn't much better. Ed Harris was decent, but Morgan Freeman didn't look bothered. Maybe it was better in 2007 and just hasn't aged well.

Soldato
Bent - 6/10 - A modern version of a 40's private detective film noir with a decent enough story and a very good performance from a very under-rated Karl Urban as a framed ex-cop looking to clear his name on his release from Prison who gets dragged into a murky world of spies and Government corruption when investigating the murder of a friends sister. While the film is enjoyable there are a few weak performances which let the film fall into DVD-bin territory, namely from "femme fatale" Sofia Vergara and "father figure with a dark past" Andy Garcia, who both give very wooden performances.

Caporegime
A quiet place.

Not often I deliberately watch scary movies. But I liked the look of the trailer so gave this a crack. It's still relatively new so anything other than recommending watching I'll put in spoiler tags.

I enjoyed the fact that the monsters and their situation/reality they're forced to live in were not only revealed but made abundantly clear from the very beginning. Not a single noise. Not one. Or you're dead.

Normally in scary movies most of the movie is built up tension into what the "thing" is - then when you do see it, it's actually not that scary anymore. Not the case here I thought. They showed you and then showed you how dangerous they were, right from the get go.

I thought acting all around was good. Obviously some questions are raised about the storyline, but it's best not to think too much about it. Just enjoy it for what it was.

I also liked the fact it was a refreshing 90min flick and the majority of the story happened in a single day.

Back
Top Bottom