What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
A Quiet Place - would confirm what has previously been mentioned of this film. Short but tightly paced. GF and I both found it very tense for a modern film. I would say probably more harrowing if you're a parent - I can't cope with kids in danger or upset.

8/10

Soldato
The endless 7/10

Low budget mystery film with a hint of horror. This film really messes with your head as to what is going on. Maybe a little overly long but it keeps you interested.

Definitely worth a watch if you like films that mess with reality / time.

Soldato
Stallone in Oscar 1991.

Remember watching this as a kid. The rewatch 20 odd year later did not disappoint. Stallone was excellent and Tim Curry :D.

Stop or my mom will shoot 1992.

Not as good but still entertaining enough for the nostalgia.

Soldato
Tau 6.5/10

Ok it's a bit of a Mish mash of old ideas, but it keeps your interest and the overall premise is good. A few plot holes and Ed Skeins character making some suspect decisions bring it down a bit though.

Worth a watch if you like your sci-fi.

Caporegime
Downrange.

Five irritating and completely unrelatable young people go on a road trip. They consist of three generic white girls, two generic white guys, a black guy, and the token Indian male diversity hire.

Suddenly a tyre bursts, sparking the commencement of what might be generously described as 'the plot.' The guy who attempts to change it is shot dead by an unseen sniper, who blows a large hole straight through his head.

One of the girls goes to investigate, and copes an impeccably placed bullet in each eye. Bizarrely, the bullets do not create exit wounds, and she is able to walk around and croak at her friends for a while, even though her brain is completely blasted to ****.

At first the shots are silent because the sniper is using a suppressor, but later he removes it and the shots are fully audible. One of the girls says he must have removed it to improve the speed and range of his bullets. But this makes no sense because the sniper is sitting in a tree just a few hundred metres from their location, so he's already got all the speed and range he needs.

The same 'I know about guns' girl explains her knowledge as being due to the fact that she's 'an army brat' who belongs to 'a hunting family.' That's right folks, she can't just be someone with a bit of general knowledge; she has to be an army brat who belongs to a hunting family. Because that's the only way she can know anything about guns. :rolleyes:

Anyway, gun girl goes on to provide poor advice and a plan that turns out to be complete ****, resulting in further deaths and mayhem.

Did I mention that the laws of physics no longer apply? Yeah, they were abandoned at the 35 minute mark. The sniper is now shooting around corners, hitting stuff he literally cannot see, with results that vary depending on their relevance to the plot. Thus we have:

* a bullet that blows out an entire portion of someone's skull
* bullets that create two tiny entry wounds, cause no other damage, and do not emerge from the skull
* a bullet that cracks a mobile phone screen but fails to damage the rest of the phone and cannot dislodge it from a selfie stick
* bullets that turn corners when required, often at acute angles
* wildly varying degrees of accuracy, from 100% pinpoint to 'can't hit a barn wall at 5 paces'

Examples could be multiplied.

Gun girl initially tells us with full confidence that the sniper's rifle is 'an antique', even though she has absolutely no way of knowing this (a later closeup reveals that the sniper's rifle is not an antique).

The rifle is bolt action, but at times the sniper can fire it as quickly as he likes (often with the speed of a semi-auto). At other times he requires at least 30 seconds to reload. In some scenes it appears to be a single shot rifle; in others it appears to have a magazine with an unspecified capacity.

The movie drags on for what seems like an eternity, becoming even more ludicrous by the minute. I swear, if it had gone on any longer, i would havoc flown over to the USA and shot the entire cast myself just to get it over with.

Languages spoken: American.

I rate Downrange at 9.99 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a stupendously idiotic 3/10 on IMDB.

Beirut.

It's Beirut in the 70s! Ah, the sights, the sounds, the scents... the filthy, the violence, the corruption, the misery. Good times!

America's ambassador or whatever is living the high life in a well equipped house complete with Lebanese servants. His prized possession is Karim, a 13 year old Lebanese rent boy whose older brother Rami is secretly a terrorist.

When American government people arrive to question Karim about his brother, he is vigorously defended by his owner, who manages to stall them just long enough for the house to be attacked by Muslim terrorists. Who's leading the terrorists? Why, it's Karim's brother, of course!

Rami demonstrates his appreciation for the kindness shown to Karim by killing the ambassador/whatever's wife, abducting his little brother, and ******* off into the night.

10 YEARS LATER...

Our main character is back in Beirut because of reasons. Shenanigans ensue, and it transpires that Karim has also become a terrorist. He demonstrates his appreciation for the kindness shown to him as a boy by kidnapping people, murdering people, and blowing **** up. Good times!

Anyway, the whole thing pans out in predictable fashion, and Israel invades Lebanon.

Languages spoken: English, American, Lebanese, French, and Allahu Akbar.

I rate Beirut at 23.31 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a reasonable 7/10 on IMDB.

Moss.

A corrupt detective arrests some religious dude on charges that may or may not be false, and throws him in prison, where he is repeatedly brutalised. The religious dude demonstrates tremendous fortitude, and is eventually freed, whereupon he joins forces with the detective, who uses him to recruit new henchmen.

25 YEARS LATER...

Some bloke called Ryoo comes to the village seeking answers about the death of his father. Shenanigans ensue, and it transpires that the detective may or may not have been responsible. Also, the religious dude might or might not have been involved. Ryoo seeks the help of prosecutor Park, who is or perhaps is not corrupt.

As additional murders pile up, secrets are revealed, and the plot lurches its way towards an anticlimactic final scene.

Languages spoken: Asian.

I rate Moss at 19.98 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a turgid 6/10 on IMDB.

Small Town Crime.

Crime has been committed in a small town! The police are a bunch of *********, and refuse to do anything about it. Some other bloke who used to be a policeman decides he'll sort everything out. This proves to be quite difficult.

If you're a fan of underage prostitution, this could be the movie for you.

I rate Small Town Crime at 24.97 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a surprisingly competent 7.5/10 on IMDB.

War Dogs.

The US military needs guns and ammo, dammit! Where does it all come from? Corrupt arms dealers, of course! Two Jewish guys decide they want a slice of this hot bullet time action, and hilarity ensues as they bungle their way from one deal to the next.

It's all going well until they try to fill an order for 68 gazillion bullets, which requires an ill fated trip to the vile, backward hell hole of Albania, where the filthy Albanians have been stockpiling Cold War era 7.62mm ammo for the best part of a century. Suddenly everything goes to ****. Good times!

Languages spoken: American, English, Albanian.

I rate Small Town Crime at 26.64 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a hilarious 8/10 on IMDB.

You Were Never Really Here.

Some dude with PTSD goes around maiming and/or killing people for money. Hey, it's an honest job. Don't knock his ambitions.

A rich dude hires him to find his missing daughter, who may or may not have been coerced into a nefarious profession. Shenanigans ensue as our anti-hero hunts down the culprits and finally locates the girl. There's no real plot, but we still get a couple of interesting twists and a depiction of PTSD that's as praiseworthy as it is chilling.

If you're a fan of underage prostitution, this is absolutely the movie for you.

I rate Small Town Crime at 26.64 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a sobering 8/10 on IMDB.

Thank You for Your Service.

Oh, you liked the PTSD in the last movie? Well, have some more!

A bunch of US soldiers return from Iraq and start to crack up under the strain of their mental issues. Some fare better than others, and it's all a bit grim. The bleak depiction of America's Veteran Affairs system is utterly galling. You'd think a country that basically lives on war would provide excellent standards of care for its returned servicemen, but apparently no-one gives an arse.

I rate Thank You for Your Service at 24.97 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a gritty 7.5/10 on IMDB.

Unsane.

Some chick gets committed to the loony bin, despite her insistence that she has no mental problems. Apparently, this is all part of a medical insurance scam that is not uncommon in the USA.

While locked in the nuthouse, she becomes convinced that one of the staff members is the stalker whose persistent harassment drove her out of her home town. Is she correct, or is she... UNSANE?! You'll have to watch the movie to find out.

I rate Unsane at 23.31 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a mildly disturbing 7/10 on IMDB.

The Endless.

Remember Resolution, from 2012? Welp, this is a sorta-kinda-neo-sequel/post-plot movie set in the same universe. If you've seen Resolution you'll know what to expect. If you haven't, that doesn't matter but I recommend watching it for the continuity.

Basically, The Endless is Resolution with much higher production values and a completely different plot. Good times!

I rate The Endless at 26.64 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a twisted 8/10 on IMDB.

Last edited:
Soldato
John Wick is so good for me due to it's simplicity, it's just straight forward revenge. It helps that Keanu can handle a weapon well and underwent many months of training. I believe all the stunt work is him. Plenty of youtube videos showing him on range and doing his training.

The second movie is ok and I really enjoy it but there is so much wrong with it, don't get me started on the whole kevlar suit batfink bullet repellant material and that annoying bieber looking girl/boy/trans who seems to pop up everywhere playing the exact same person these days.

Caporegime
Ruby Rose? She's not a boy or trans, she is a woman.

I see the bieber connection though, and she's hardly the best thing in the movie. Given that she literally says nothing though, I don't find the performance particularly offensive.

Soldato
Alien 9/10

Lost count how many times I've seen this but still as good as ever.
Still jump at a few parts even though I know what's coming.
Can't believe it's 40 years old next year. (Makes me feel so old!)

Back
Top Bottom