What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
We watched Tag the other night, it was better than I expected. Isla Fisher was great in it.

Was a surprise hit for me, simple premise that looked good for a few laughs in the trailer but had me genuinely lol'ing all the way through.

Made me feel a little down at how much i've drifted apart from my close friends as i've got older, also annoyed that we didn't think of this over the years :D

I love that it's a true story as well.

Soldato
Pitch Black

Still love this one after all these years.... quality low/mid budget sci-fi. Such a shame how they ****** with Riddick in Chronicles (making him some fairy-arse unicorn alien, instead of just a straight up badass :mad: ).

Soldato
"The Beyond". Another Netflix original. The summary is about astronauts going off in the hopes of meeting aliens but coming back unexpectedly early to many questions.

However, what I watched was more like a documentary. Quite well done but not what I expected, fairly slow and quite derivative. It was written and directed by the same VFX guy who did the CGI (as far as I could determine) and this did show on some of the screenwriting, especially around the physics at the end (where it used some staggeringly obvious hand-waving). It also got very preachy in the last 5 minutes (IMO).

5/10.

Soldato
Yes, excellent balanced Nyman soundtrack too, Departure, morrow, other-side are on a frequent car playlist ... Zimmer could learn a thing or two.
I couldn't have named the director though. ... unlike Leon, that I put on a similar pedestal.

Permabanned
Jiro Dreams of Sushi

Documentary that talks about Jiro Ono, an 85 year old master Sushi Chef who owns a chain 3 Michelin star restaurants in Japan.

Really fascinating stuff. The passion that Jiro and his 2 sons exhibit for their craft is simply astonishing. His endless pursuit of perfection has impacted his entire life in ways I think few people will even be able to understand, yet alone empathise with. His character is explored just enough to keep you asking questions by the end. Completely fascinating stuff .

Don't Breathe

Quite enjoyed it. Twas an interesting premise for a movie and it's all put together very neatly. Some of the establishing shots at the start of the film are exceptional. Felt more like an engaging thriller rather then a horror which is fine.

Soldato
Mission: Impossible – Fallout

Excellent 'real world' action film, which is a rare kind these days.

There were times when it felt like the characters were half looking at the audience though and detracted a bit.

I also thought it lacked an element of suspense that the TV series and previous films had. Between action scenes they could have done something more than just having a bunch of people milling around talking.

7/10

Hereditary, strange one this as the first three quarters of the movie was very good with great acting and music, really good stuff. The last 10 minutes however was complete nonsense, real shame . If you watch it turn it off at the end and draw your own conclusions :D

Soldato
Hereditary, strange one this as the first three quarters of the movie was very good with great acting and music, really good stuff. The last 10 minutes however was complete nonsense, real shame . If you watch it turn it off at the end and draw your own conclusions :D

Nonsense? The ending completely wraps up the story so you understand what's been going on the past two hours.

Amazing film.

Last edited:
Soldato
Goodbye Christoper Robin (2017) really enjoyed this, not my normal thing. A beautiful little film the acting was great the story was really bittersweet. Domnhall Gleeson was really came across well as the flawed but well meaning father. Margot Robbie owned the self absorbed mother character and the young boy played Christopher Robin well.

Back
Top Bottom