What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Gattaca

Still as captivating as ever, was only going to put it on the background but end up watching it all.

This has aged so well, I can’t think of anything in this being dated really, everything was stylised so the movie becomes a bubble and timeless.

I really need to get around to watching this, it's been on my list for ages but have never been in the mood. I think it might be one for this weekend.

It Comes at Night.

It didn't. There was no plot, and nothing happened.

0 on the Haglee Scale; 1/10 on IMDB.

I'm glad it wasn't just me that didn't get this film. A few people raved about it but I thought it was rubbish, nothing happened, I thought I'd just missed something but the missus thought the same.

Soldato
Avengers - infinity wars 7.5/10

Excellent visuals, run of the mill plot (to be fair you know what your going to get with these films) but one of the better ones of recent superhero releases.

Gattaca

Still as captivating as ever, was only going to put it on the background but end up watching it all.

This has aged so well, I can’t think of anything in this being dated really, everything was stylised so the movie becomes a bubble and timeless.

Watched this when it was first released & loved it. Never watced it since :eek:
Will have to remedy that sharpish.

Soldato
OP
Hereditary - 8/10

Could be trimmed a bit but very well executed re cinematography, sound and acting. Liked the ending and a lot to dissect and think about. Makes everything you saw previously take on a whole new meaning.

Soldato
Action Point (aka Jackass 4) - 6/10 - This seems to be the perfect way to make a Jackass movie which has more than just Jackass stunts in it. The "Action Point" theme park was notorious in the 70's for it's "anything goes" attitude to safety and fun. Here Knoxville plays the owner of the park during it's heyday and the mix of a fairly comical story and Jackass stunts works well, as long as you're not expecting an Oscar winning script/acting, although TBF the actress playing Knoxvilles daughter does a better job than I expected.

Oceans 8 - 5/10 - OK at best, a little long to get going and with no real "struggle" to the heist. It probably deserves it's place as the worst earner of the 4 Ocean films at the inflation adjusted box-office but it's not a bad film at all. The two leads (Bullock and Blanchett) bounce off each other well but the rest of team all seem a bit "generic", almost "character made by committee" made and even the usually quite dotty Helen Bonham Carter seems a bit subdued in this.

Caporegime
I Kill Giants

A modern fantasy/magical reality film, currently on Netflix. It was less whimsical, and sadder, than I expected but an interesting and well made film. CGI is a little low budget.

Its no Pan's Labyrinth but a solid 7/10 for me.

Caporegime
Hereditary.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a very intense film but that's not always a bad thing, and this case, I think it was a strength. Definitely a film I'll need to watch again as, if I'm being honest, I don't think I fully understood it all.

I don't always rate films with a number but I'd agree with the poster above, 8-8.5/10 is about spot on as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The Meg. 5/10

Err..... I wasn't expecting much and in that respect I was handsomely rewarded.
It's a Chinese produced and funded film so everything is that except the cast, which is only slightly Chinese. Everyone else is a perfect racial stereotype.

Im not sure if it's a comedy or an action film, it's certainly not scarey. Very forced dialogue. I guess it's hard to translate Chinese well :p

Don't pay full price for this film..... meerkat 2 for 1 or Blu-ray.

I warned you.

Soldato
Game Night - 7/10.

Enjoyed the first 3/4, but it got a little far fetched and cringe dialogue towards the end. Also, Rachel McAdmams, very pretty to look at, but what a terrible actress in this movie.

Man of Honour
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

Innocent good fun, a light-hearted easy watch and all round better than expected. I think it's better than the original (which without the nostalgia goggles is pretty tedious as an adult).

7/10

Pixels - 6/10.

Bought the blu-ray second hand for a few quid a while back. I liked the 80s arcade game references which I think makes it a niche film i.e. you have to be in your late 30s / 40s to appreciate it. I thought that the CGI was excellent, one of the best I've seen for a high budget film. Great soundtrack too if you like a bit of 80s :) Also it's great if you like action genre. I looked Pixels up on Wikipedia afterwards and it had mostly poor ratings. The Guardian said it was casually sexist as well. I can't figure that out really, unless it's because it was a mostly male cast? Or was it because Eddie had a crush on Lady Lisa? Teenage crushes and love at first sight is normal though, so don't know why it has to be politicised. Would it have made any difference if it was a same-sex crush?

Associate
The Spy Who Dumped Me (2018) - 2/10

A poor spy spoof that tries far too hard to be funny without managing to be and as such, ends up boring.

The nonsensical plot jumps through a variety of European cities which provides some good settings, but the gags always fall flat, making it all seem pointless.

The lead characters are brash and have some chemistry and the energetically destructive action scenes entertain whilst they last, but overall, it’s a terrible film.

Back
Top Bottom