What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Bohemian Rhapsody (2018) - 7/10

There’s a lot of great elements in this film – the music, the performances, the acting, and the creativity and showmanship of Queen and Freddie Mercury is spectacular. It’s entertaining throughout and held my interest as I learnt some new and interesting facts behind their biggest hits.

However, as a biopic, it’s not so great, as it skips over a lot of the other albums and the story ends at the Live Aid performance. It also doesn’t really say or show you anything new about Freddie’s life or the other members of Queen.

Soldato
Halloween (2018) 8/10

I am a massive Halloween fan....

I had high expectations with the timeline reset and it didn't disappoint with a lot of what it did.

Some of the scenes were brutal and Myers was brought back to his original creepy incarnation.

However.....the teen stories .....not necessary apart from to move the storyline in a particular direction.

I enjoyed it and I really hope they do another in th same vein as this.

Caporegime
Just got out of seeing First Man

And...wow...I am still tingling from it. I had already listened to Kermodes review so I knew not to expect an action packed over dramatised space movie. Not at all, it is about Armstrong and him handling grief and how he mentally handled his life by using the journey to the moon as a way of burying his head in the sand.

Despite we all know what happened, I'll put this in spoilers.

Unfortunately, in the cinema a lot of people were pretty inconsiderate, one couple next to me wouldn't actually shut up and they came so close to spoiling everything. However, when they got on the moon and the door opened and the camera panned out...you would have heard a pin drop.

The whole room was floored. Like the whole room was holding its breath.

I also cried when he put his daughters bracelet down on the moon. The man was in so much pain after being constantly surrounded by death. I felt as if he had numbed himself to a point of he almost didn't seem to care weather he went or not, or lived or died.[/spoilers]

As expected, Gosling was superb. This is one to make a point of seeing in the cinema if you haven't already.

Soldato
Phantom Thread (4K) 9/10.

Beautiful film, and amazing performances by my favourite actor Daniel Day-Lewis and the female cast.
The music by Mr Greenwood was awesome and the visuals were brilliant. HDR really helped.

I really hope DDL hasn’t really retired and may return for 1-2 more films. But he seems to be the type of guy who keeps his word :(

Soldato
The Time Guardian
not seen this since VHS rental days. Decent enough sci-fi/time travelling film of the eighties, seems to get panned by IMDb :confused: but I like it :D. Carrie Fisher stars too.

Caporegime
The girl in the spiders web dragon tattoo thing 2018 7/10

I've not read or seen any of the previous books/films.

It feels like an endless stream of product placement and The Matrix/James Bond style characters living in Stockholm. The main one having almost Neo like control of everything tech related via a Sony phone....

100% predictable, 99% cliché. It really doesn't make too much sense, everyones accents are all over the place.

It's an entertaining enough film but I was very releaved when it ended as I'd just had enough tbh.

The trailer gives everything away, don't watch it at all.

I wonder if the previous films were thus meh?

Soldato
The new one with Claire Foy?

I saw the trailer at the cinema last week and turned to my wife and said "they've turned her in to James Bond"

Looked silly.
Yeah I find it disappointing that they didn’t continue the trilogy with David Fincher, whilst a bit different from the Swedish film version it was still really good in it’s own right I thought.

Not sure what the thinking was behind skipping those and going on to the new ones not written by Larsson :(

Caporegime
The girl in the spiders web dragon tattoo thing 2018 7/10

I've not read or seen any of the previous books/films.

It feels like an endless stream of product placement and The Matrix/James Bond style characters living in Stockholm. The main one having almost Neo like control of everything tech related via a Sony phone....

100% predictable, 99% cliché. It really doesn't make too much sense, everyones accents are all over the place.

It's an entertaining enough film but I was very releaved when it ended as I'd just had enough tbh.

The trailer gives everything away, don't watch it at all.

I wonder if the previous films were thus meh?
I've seen the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo with Daniel Craig and really enjoyed it. Dark and mysterious enough to really keep you going well. I saw the trailer for this spiders web thing last night and thought exactly what you just described. They've turned it into a silly action movie, which is a real shame. I won't bother seeing this.

Permabanned
The Han Solo film.... The Lando/ Han actors were actually better than expected. l found the film tolerable up to the point that the droid was introduced. The scene with the droid dying in Lando's arms was like a comedy skit or parody.

Caporegime
When We First Met

Netflix rom-com that had some good chuckle moments and nice eye candy.

6/10

The Spy Who Dumped Me

Given this has both one of my ladycrushes (Kunis) and mancrushes (Jamie from Outlander), we gave it a spin. Pretty funny with decent, albeit generic, action sequences.

6/10

Incredibles 2

Much like the first, I found this meh. My missus enjoyed the first, but also found this meh. Good graphics though, and JackJack was fun.

5/10

Caporegime
Great movie weekend this one.

First Man on Saturday night
Yesterday I watched Django Unchained, can't believe I hadn't seen this before. Brilliant Tarrentino movie. And then in the evening we watched The Children Act, all 3 very different movies, all of them excellent in their own way :)

Associate
"Nothing spreads like fear".
Soderbergh really builds up suspense at every moment in the movie, using the flashback/flashfwd technique he uses in his earlier movies to the utmost.

32853180501_e4b75bfe30.jpg

Back
Top Bottom