What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
When I was about eleven in 1993 my older sister rented Wayne's World on video and I thought it was the funniest thing I'd ever seen

I watched it again tonight and it barely raised a laugh :(

Can't decide if the film that's dated badly or if it's just my sense of humour changing over the years.

Disappointing. 6/10 if I'm being generous.

Makes me wonder if Austin Powers would be funny now.

Associate
Incredibles 2.

Visually stunning which is what you'd expect from Pixar but from a story perspective I found it some what underwhelming, it just didn't hit the mark & didn't have the charm of the original.

6.5/10

Felt the same, lacked the charm and the wit

Soldato
They Shall Not Grow Old - moving and amazing (although not as amazing as some say) documentary about world war one with actual footage from the war made colour and interviews from soldiers from the BBC archives. 4/5

It's on iPlayer BTW.

Takes a while to switch but stick with it and listen to the narration. The affect of the switch is immediate as previously I watched old historical clips with some amusement as the jerky frame rate made them seem almost comical and not real. Not so now as the people suddenly become very real.

9/10 mostly the stories not just the visuals which are needed in this day and age to hold peoples atention.

Soldato
The Ballard of Buster Scruggs - six western stories in a little over two hours from the Coen brothers has some absolutely brilliant sections and some not so much. Overall though it is classic Coens. 4/5

On Netflix BTW.

I watched this as well last night, liked some of the stories but I thought most were a complete drag, the picture was stunning though in Dolby Vision, noticed it was DV 1080p as well.

6/10

Soldato
First Man (second viewing). Just brilliant. What a story. Great sound effects throughout the film, some of Claire Foy's lines practically made me burst into tears. What a ride.

Caporegime
The Healer - wife picked this. Struggled to stay awake. Could see the end coming a mile off. But then again, not my kind of movie. Wife liked it though.

Lost in Translation - how had I never seen this before? Scarlett Johansson being in my top 5 and she was 17/18 when this was filmed so there is that to consider. Plus Bill Murray!

We both really enjoyed it. It was so subtle in so many ways. And so incredible how these two strangers found so much comfort in each other because of what's missing in their own lives. Fantastic. Will rewatch this at some point as I'm sure there are plenty of small things I missed :)

Associate
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (2018) - 7/10

A long and much darker fantasy film with great special effects, but not much story.

The story is weak as it lacks a purpose and forward momentum, mostly being there to set up the next film in the series.

Strong acting and great special effects throughout, although some of the characters felt unnecessary and it struggles to repeat the same magic and humour of the previous installments.

Associate
Exorcist 2 (1977) 3/10

A friend mentioned that they watched the third film and I was oblivious that sequels were released. The original Exorcist is one of my all time favourite horror films, so I thought I would investigate.

I did not bother to read any plot or reviews, only when I saw that it starred Richard Burton, it piqued my curiosity further. I wont spoil but the film, the plot is not what I expected at all, mainly focuses on origin of the entity and when it targets good folk. Would I watch again, sadly no! The original Omen trilogy is much better (I liked all three films). I will watch the third installment at some point just out of curiosity.

Permabanned
Hereditary

Finally sat down to watch this last night. Can totally see what it's been so divisive, it's a good horror film for a start! ;P

But no, genuinely unsettled me in a way that no horror film has in quite some time. It's premise starts out relatively by the numbers and you think you have this vague idea as to where it's heading, but then it completely changes direction around half an hour in and I was at a loss as to what was going to happen (an example of truly excellent marketing on the studios front to keep the twist a secret).

Seen quite a few people complain about the ending and initially I would have agreed. But in retrospect they took the time and effort to seed it throughout the film and as a result I was quite taken with it a few hours after.

Can see where the comparisons to The Exorcist come from, but to me it felt more 'Lynchian' throughout, though perhaps not as madly unchained as something the main man himself would have made.

In short, bloody loved it. One of the most original films of the genre since 'The Babadook'.

Soldato
Fantastic Beasts 2

Pretty much agree with this..

A long and much darker fantasy film with great special effects, but not much story.

The story is weak as it lacks a purpose and forward momentum, mostly being there to set up the next film in the series.

It very much felt like a back story filler before film #3. Nice amount of little HP easter eggs, good effects, the sound in the Vue we saw it in was immense.

Soldato
Guns at Batasi with Richard Attenborough on Film 4 the other day. Absolutely fantastic, I love these old movies no CGI just solid acting and script. Time may have been a little unkind to the premise but one can only imagine it was a fair reflection of the period of African de-colonisation. Attenborough is absolutely in cracking form playing a far older man than his actual years as the grizzled Regimental Sergeant Major who believes in the rules and traditions. 9/10

Back
Top Bottom