What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Most people are saying it's rubbish as far as I can tell. I'm just saying I don't understand the few people that like it, it's bad action, it's bad story, it's bad acting. There is pretty much a single line in the whole film I thought was genuinely funny and well delivered. I love plenty of films

I won't deny that's it's worthy of a fair amount of criticism. I'm not even saying your points are invalid, and I'm certainly not going to say it's a great film.
Despite it's crapness and it ultimately being a wasted opportunity, I found a lot to enjoy for some reason. Quite a few others did too. Check the Venom thread.

While I'm sure there are plenty of films that you love, it seems that more often than not, you generally post in here when you have an excuse to write an essay on why you thought something was crap.

if you don't want to discuss films why are you on a discussion board in a thread for reviewing/talking about films?
Strawman...

Caporegime
I won't deny that's it's worthy of a fair amount of criticism. I'm not even saying your points are invalid, and I'm certainly not going to say it's a great film.
Despite it's crapness and it ultimately being a wasted opportunity, I found a lot to enjoy for some reason. Quite a few others did too. Check the Venom thread.

While I'm sure there are plenty of films that you love, it seems that more often than not, you generally post in here when you have an excuse to write an essay on why you thought something was crap.

Strawman...

Well done, it's not a 'strawman' argument, because I wasn't debating a point you made. You basically had a pop at me for analysing a film, in a discussion forum in a thread for discussion films. I was pointing this out to you and it does make you opinion laughably stupid.

Why not reply to everyone in the thread that their analysis of films in this thread is unwanted and you hope they'll just go away.

As for it's rating, it's 35% on metacritic, 28% on Rotten Tomatoes and again I've seen more people in here say it sucked than it was good. More people who like films will go into a thread to discuss that specific film, I think a more general average is seen by responses in this less specific thread.

Soldato
spiderman into the spiderverse - 9/10 - damn that was good. the best animated film i've seen in a long time. Forget black panther, if you want a strong black super hero then this is it.

Soldato
Well done, it's not a 'strawman' argument, because I wasn't debating a point you made. You basically had a pop at me for analysing a film, in a discussion forum in a thread for discussion films. I was pointing this out to you and it does make you opinion laughably stupid.

ED: Actually...

Ok, first of all: It is a strawman, because it's based on the false premise that I don't want to discuss films.
Why not reply to everyone in the thread that their analysis of films in this thread is unwanted and you hope they'll just go away.
Again, this is based on the aforementioned false premise.

As for it's rating, it's 35% on metacritic, 28% on Rotten Tomatoes and again I've seen more people in here say it sucked than it was good. More people who like films will go into a thread to discuss that specific film, I think a more general average is seen by responses in this less specific thread.

Which begs the question of why you still went out of your way to watch it? What were you expecting?
Given your general posting habits on here, I'd say it's because it would give you a reason to write another of your dissertations that are ultimately about making yourself feel clever for finding fault, which is a pretty common thing for a lot of people these days...
Again, I'm not saying that you're wrong about the film in question.

Hey, I totally accept that I'm coming across as a bit of a dick here. It's just that in all honesty, I find your OCD self indulgent essays a bit annoying, but I guess that's my problem, not yours.

You carry on doing your thing, I'll just carry on skipping them :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
It begs the question? really, firstly I looked up the scores in response to you saying people were enjoying it. I try to find out as little about a film before seeing every film I watch. Back to it begs the question, I like films, I watch films.... shock horror you don't know if you'll like a film until you, you know, watch it. Apparently again the rule here is enjoy or film and discuss that or know you won't like a film before you watch it so you don't talk about why you didn't like it because they you have an agenda and watched it purely so you could complain about it.

as for skipping my comments on films, you continue to skip them yet you knew it was negative.... me thinks someone protested about my comment just a bit too much to then pretend you skip my comments, don't you think?

I notice you criticising everyone else with longer posts in this thread.... oh wait, no I don't.

Soldato
spiderman into the spiderverse - 9/10 - damn that was good. the best animated film i've seen in a long time. Forget black panther, if you want a strong black super hero then this is it.

I saw this on Saturday. Not only for me was it one of the best animated films I'd seen for a while, I would go as far as to say it's one of the best Super Hero movies too. I'd agree with 9/10. :)

Caporegime
I saw this on Saturday. Not only for me was it one of the best animated films I'd seen for a while, I would go as far as to say it's one of the best Super Hero movies too. I'd agree with 9/10. :)

I am going to have to watch that tomorrow, already doing a double bill of Harry Potter and Mortal Engines tonight. Tomorrow i will watch it with Aquaman.

Associate
I wish I could forget Black Panther. God what a **** show that film was. I'm all for celebrating diversity but that film was just bad.

Soldato
Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse.

Very good film once I’d worked out I hadn’t accidentally gone into a 3D showing as the art style did make me wonder for a few mins.

I agree with others that it’s one of the best superhero films and far far better than Black Panther.

Also I’ve fallen in love with animated Gwen Stacy.

Associate
Aquaman (aka Underwater Power Rangers) 2.5/10.

Poor poor movie, terrible pacing, some really dodgy CGI and no real character development.

I don't know what they were trying to achieve, but they didn't succeed. I want my money back!!!

Caporegime
2nd movie of the night.

Mortal Engines.

Half way through watching this, right about the red air ship bit when I thought "Hmmmm, this movie would look great as an anime." Then it hit me, this movie is a ripoff of Laputa - Castle in the Sky!

Power hungry man who starts out as the regular dude - check
Strong female character who is lost at the start - check
Meets random boy who she ends up with - check
Powerful weapon that can destroy cities - check
Meets a flying pirate lady with air ship - check
pirate lady has a crew - check
Female lead has the key - check
"Ancient" race with more powerful weapon - check

Besides the cities that can move, everything else is a rip-off.

p.s. Laputa's music is also better, I've not seen it in 20 years and I can still hear the theme tune in my head.

Associate
2nd movie of the night.

Mortal Engines.

Half way through watching this, right about the red air ship bit when I thought "Hmmmm, this movie would look great as an anime." Then it hit me, this movie is a ripoff of Laputa - Castle in the Sky!

Power hungry man who starts out as the regular dude - check
Strong female character who is lost at the start - check
Meets random boy who she ends up with - check
Powerful weapon that can destroy cities - check
Meets a flying pirate lady with air ship - check
pirate lady has a crew - check
Female lead has the key - check
"Ancient" race with more powerful weapon - check

Besides the cities that can move, everything else is a rip-off.

p.s. Laputa's music is also better, I've not seen it in 20 years and I can still hear the theme tune in my head.

I loved Laputa, it's my first memory of real anime

Caporegime
I loved Laputa, it's my first memory of real anime

A few for me, growing up I saw Totoro and Laputa around the same time but I think I saw Totoro first but Laputa is the first movie (not just anime) that I truly loved. I first seen it in Japanese with Chinese subtitles as like a 8 or 9 year old, then when I moved here I saw the English dubbed but to this day I prefer the Japanese audio and subbed. I remember there was a point in time when I watched it so much I knew every single line in the movie.

Soldato
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs 2018 (Netflix)

6 short stories about cowboys/wildwest/weird****

Interesting and weird as expected. It's on Netflix so what have you go to lose. There are worst ways to spend 2h.

Best thing i've seen in a while! Total no brainer for any Coen bros. fans.

Back
Top Bottom