1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What film did you watch last night?

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Richeh, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Squid Vicious

Hitman

Missus was away so watched...

Godzilla Part 3: The Planet Eater - 7/10
    I enjoyed this more than 2nd in the series, first was still my fave

Io - 4/10
    Went in with low expectations, wasn't disappointed :) Just to slow and not enough Io...

2. FlyingScotsman

Hitman

Bohemian Rhapsody, superb film, loved it everything about it was ace, being a big Queen fan as well, 9/10

3. PlacidCasual

Soldato

A Quiet Place, wow 9/10 maybe even 10/10 one of the best films I’ve watched in so long if you ignore the fact I watched the Shape of Water last week (also amazing, well worth an Oscar). How BP is a best film contender and this is not just baffles me.

Isle of Dogs, no south London gangsters big bonus. Usual Wes Anderson madness the guy is a genius. Not as great as Grand Budapest or Royal Teenenbaums but still very good 8/10.

4. SixTwoSix

Sgarrista

Bohemian Rhapsody over the weekend, not a big queen fan but loved it. I know people are moaning that it skirts over the darker stuff, that's to it's strength for me, celebrate the good in his life rather than focus on the bad. There are enough miserable movies out there already if you want to go down that route. 9/10

Anyone watched the side by side comparison with the actual live aid concert?

5. SupraWez

Wise Guy

Bohemian Rhapsody - 9/10 a great movie.

6. Rossi~

Capodecina

Also saw this at the weekend.
    I can echo your opinion completely and i'm also a huge Saoirse Ronan fan since Lovely Bones. One day she'll get herself an Oscar, and she'll deserve it too.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  7. MR_Punk

Sgarrista

Warrior - 7/10

The MMA bit was very far fetched but the story behind was played out really well.

8. Scam

Capodecina

Good reviews of Mary Queen of Scots above. We also watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great performances all round. It's actually really beautifully shot too and I thought the music was excellent. Well worth a watch.

9. aardvark

Sgarrista

beastmaster - 6/10 - for a crappy 80s fantasy its not bad.
    polar - 7/10 - i enjoyed it but like someone said its a bit too gratuitous in some of the violence.

10. Bassmansam

Wise Guy

Beautiful boy - solid movie but a bit safe. Steve Carell and Chalamet gave very strong performances 6.5/10

The Nun - oh man this was so dissapointing. I was really loooking forward to this as she terrified me in her apperance in the conjuring. In this film she appeared too much and had a silly voice which ruined the scary effect she had previously. I mean it was an ok film but it could have been so much scarier. 6/10

11. WilliG

Associate

First Man - incredible movie and visually its a 11/10 - WOW

12. neviditelny

Hitman

Tonight I'm going to my first "Odeon Screen Unseen", going to be interesting to see what I get shown but will come back with an update when I get home

13. antijoke

Caporegime

Bohemian Rhapsody - 9/10

What a great film, another massive Queen fan here, and really loved it, yes it doesn't touch on the other side of things at all but I don't feel it needs to, it was a celebration of him and Queen, and it delivered.

Ralph Breaks The Internet - 8/10.

Oh my God, I loved this so much, so many funny bits and I was in hysterics when he goes on the internet.

14. MoDe

Hitman

Nightcrawler - 9/10

I thought it was brilliant, Gyllenhaal does creepy guy pretty damn well. Plenty edge of your seat moments!

15. Jokester

Don

Bohemian Rhapsody 10/10
    Best film I’ve seen in a long time. Unless I’m missing something about Freddie’s life, it doesn’t really miss out things, just doesn’t show them graphically.

Glad I seen it on the big screen, does the Live Aid bit justice.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  16. EVH

Don

Logan Lucky, 7.5/10

We hit "shuffle" on the Plex server last night and this came up. Surprisingly good if not a bit of a US guy ritchie ripoff.

17. Rossi~

Capodecina

My issue with the film is that going into it as a Queen fan, it's more of a Freddie Mercury film than I had hoped. It's not a bad thing per-se, as I believe Freddie was one of the best performers ever (the great pretender) and Queen is nothing without him. Though It doesn't however really show you his rather rambunctious life outside of Queen when he started to come to terms about who he is. Almost as though they were ashamed/afraid to show it, which was odd.

I also think a lot about this film is just driven by Brian and Roger, who IMO make up 25% of Queen and have been stringing something along that died with Freddie, and I have my own issues with that which taint this film for me. "25% you say?". Yes, 50% of Queen IMO was Freddie and the vastly overlooked final 25% is John. Yes, In Queen I see 1 John = 1 Brian + 1 Roger, well, maybe not quite but you catch my drift.. John Deacon is overlooked in the film as he is in reality (though actually portrayed by Mazzello brilliantly I have to say), he is behind many of the greatest songs, deserves way more credit than he gets and actually had the foresight to see Queen doesn't exist without Freddie.

Overall, I give it a 7/10 but begrudgingly.

18. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Steven Sodeburg directed it. He's got 30+ films under his belt.

Not sure he's in the business of ripping off Guy Richie :D

19. SixTwoSix

Sgarrista

Ritchie wishes he was Sodeburg, been a long time since GR made something good. ;)

20. Spuj

Mobster

Finally got round to watching 3 Billboards last night.

Not the usual type of film I would watch, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Very emotional and some fantastic acting. 8-9/10.