1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What film did you watch last night?

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Richeh, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Nitefly

Man of Honour

Velvet Buzzsaw - think this is ‘made for netflix’. Nice to see a light hearted / tongue in cheek horror flick for once - the riffing on the arts world was most enjoyable. As silly as those characters are, I imagine there are hundreds of people out there that are just like them.

6/10

2. rotters

Soldato

took the family to see How to train your dragon 3 and loved it. felt a little rushed to conclude the story but a nice finish to a trilogy...and its didnt drag on (he he)

3. kinetic747

Wise Guy

Michael Inside on Netflix. Irish prison drama, relentlessly grim but well acted. 6/10

4. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Stan and Ollie at the cinema earlier. Was expecting more from it really but then, I really knew very little about them and their "comedy" seemed very dated, despite one old fella in the audience laughing really hard throughout.

It was touching towards the end and the performances were good but it didn't grab me.

7/10

Also saw 'Widows' tonight, which was much more up my street. 8/10

5. VincentHanna

Capodecina

There were a lot of plot threads that seemed pointless or went nowhere, but i'm not sure how much is stuff they tried to cram in from the Lynda La Plante novel.

I did like the Plot twist that Liam Neeson was still alive, but I didn't really understand why Viola Davis didn't open the door there and then?

Michelle Rodriguez going to the random house, finding out the woman she wanted to see was dead and then starting to get it on with a complete stranger was really odd.

Most of the storyline with the blonde woman and the architect guy seemed a bit extraneous. There was some female empowerment at the end of it, but it kinda fizzled out to nothing.

How did the women go from watching the van driving off, to speeding up behind Daniel Kaluuya? That seemed to happen so quickly

6. krooton

Caporegime

Bohemian Rhapsody

Cracking good romp that, quite a few times I got goosebumps, and the whole Live Aid performance was amazing.

8/10

7. easyrider

Caporegime

First Man

I really disliked this movie, It was boring, Miscast IMO, Gosling came across as some odd guy who suffered from Autism. Rather than a Elite Pilot with superhuman resolve.

Hated the score in space, the only thing for me the film did well was to portray the dangers of space flight.

What would have made a more interesting film would be at the start go to the moon then explore what as like to come back and deal with domestic life after putting your thumb over the world as you know it.

Many astronauts came back and couldn't deal with the Normal life and began boozing etc....

This would have been more interesting. Difficult for Armstrong as he basically became a recluse....But none the less, Wife waiting at home has been done before in movies...

8. fez

Capodecina

Aquaman - 5.5/10 - It was good in places but poor in others. You could feel the money they had poured into CGI for this and it just didn't quite hit the mark.

Venom - 6.5/10 - Felt like the pacing was a little off and something about it just didn't fit but it was enjoyable for the most part.

9. Scam

Capodecina

Green Book - 8/10 - A really nice watch. Can't really fault it. Interesting story, enough drama to keep it interesting, and characters you can really get behind. I don't think it'll win anything, but it's definitely worth a watch.

Lincoln - 6/10 - Pretty much exactly what I expected. A little too long, the first hour was a bit laborious. Picked up in the second half for sure. Good performances obviously!

10. 5punk3monk3y

Mobster

I concur 8/10, watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. stomp stomp clap...

11. MoDe

Hitman

Logan Lucky 7.5/10

Quite enjoyed this and laughed out loud on a few occasions. A little bit slow in parts so doesn't grab an 8, but a canny film nonetheless.

12. SixTwoSix

Sgarrista

Pretty much how I felt the whole time watching him in Drive, he made me hate that movie, it's a shame because I generally like everything else about the film.

13. sbweightman

Hitman

How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (2019) - 7/10

An entertainingly fun adventure which nicely wraps up the franchise with some moments of real heart.

The story is good, although the comedy and villain are both lacking, and although there are some moments of wonder and awe, a lot more could have been done with the Hidden World.

It’s colourful and fast paced with a likeable range of characters, but never elevates to greatness.

14. EYEREX

Wise Guy

First Men in the Moon (1964)

One of my fav films as a kid which is still great to day 10 / 10

15. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Watched the first Scoody Doo movie about a week ago, with the kids. Wasn't expecting much but, actually, it was pretty good fun. I liked it and the kids (8 and 5) thought it was hilarious.

We started the 2nd one last night - about halfway through. So far, it's really not great. Hoping it picks up a bit.

16. Jokester

Don

Glass - 7/10
    Enjoyed, quite clever but daft at times as well. McAvoy is great in it.

17. Spuj

Mobster

Polar - 6/10. Really enjoyed this and more than I thought I would after seeing the reviews. The main negative for me, as others have mentioned is Matt Lucas was a terrible choice for the main villain, it completely took me out of what was otherwise an enjoyable film.

Unbreakable - 8/10. Very decent and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to watching Split next.

18. jsmoke

Soldato

Sicario Day of soldado. Worth a watch, some good background music but not much of a plot.

19. robfosters

Caporegime

Watched this last night. Agree with your comment. It's so grim throughout. Not a moment of cheer or hope in it, just grim. But well acted, particularly by the actor who plays his grandfather. Can see why it is well reviewed, but it was a hard film to really enjoy and certainly one I won't rewatch. 6/10 for me too.

20. SixTwoSix

Sgarrista

Overlord - a sci-fi/supersoldier/zombie'ish spin on around the d-day landings and the german experimentation during WW2. It has the same feel as Dusk Til Dawn in that the first half of the movie could easily convince you it was a regular film before going a bit nuts.

Nothing that hasn't been done before many times in different films but comes together well and is surprisingly good fun, well paced, never gets boring, decent bit of tension, violence and action.

7.5/10.