1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What film did you watch last night?

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Richeh, Sep 2, 2009.

1. jpaul

Sgarrista

Anthropoid 6/10 (freeview last night) poor remake/glamorization of the original/better film Operation Daybreak, all action rather than characterization.

Liked the slow-mo at the end though .. gave me a yearning to find/watch The Iron Cross (Peckinpah) again, and (google reminded me) its predecessor Wild bunch,
    which, it turns out, preceeds Butch Cassidy&SD

2. RobDogDog

Wise Guy

Sicario 2 - 6/10

Really enjoyed the first one. This one, not so much. The story felt very 'convenient' at times. The first one is much better in my opinion. Still, it has some good moments.

3. Bassmansam

Wise Guy

Vice 7/10

Great perfomances but damn it was preachy. Was Cheney really as bad as this film made out? It had a very left biased feel to it so i took alot of the “Cheney is the devil” moments with a pinch of salt. I mean, did he really contribute to California fires?

4. Evangelion

Capodecina

Mortal Engines.

It's the future, and everything's gone to ****! 1,000 years ago there was some kind of world war that wiped out pretty much everything within the space of 60 minutes, and reshaped the entire globe by smashing most of its continents. Oh noes!

Human civilisation has been reduced to a fragile existence amidst a steampunk world with a hint of dieselpunk. So... stieselpunk? :p

Cities and towns across Europe now exist as mobile fortresses, battling each other for dwindling resources. London is the biggest of them all: a super-predator that literally devours smaller settlements.

But what about Washington DC? Well as far as I can tell the USA has been completely destroyed, so that's a refreshing and highly welcome development. :D

Meanwhile, everyone who can be loosely classified under the generously broad umbrella of 'Asian' lives in a rich, peaceful, and well established nation behind the safety of a giant wall. Hmmm... :rolleyes:

Anyway, there's this girl who hates Hugo Weaving because he killed her mother

although it looks like he's her father(?!) which for some strange reason she doesn't realise until she's about to kill him

so that makes it all a bit awkward in a Star Wars-y kind of way.

Her mother gave her the MacGuffin that everyone spends most of the movie looking for, but the plot won't let her know what it is until the last 10 minutes of the movie, despite the fact that the one guy she's been running around with all this time had worked it out in the first half hour. :confused:

Unusually, Mortal Engines is more accurate than the book it's based on (a rare occurrence) which came as a pleasant surprise.

Is it worth watching? Absolutely. The aesthetic is gorgeous, the costumes are superb, the special effects are on point, Hugo Weaving chews scenery with tremendous gusto, and the world building is solid.

I rate Mortal Engines at 23.31 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a respectable 7/10 on IMDB.

5. Street

Soldato

A Star is Born - 9/10

What a fantastic film. I really wasn't bothered about watching it as I really didn't think it would be my sort of film, however after making the missus watch First Man, it was her turn to choose. Great performances by all of the actors and I was actually gutted at the end. It wasn't what I thought it was going to be about at all and I'd glad I made the effort to watch it!

6. cheesyboy

Capodecina

2nd Scooby Doo didn't pick up much. Definitely think the first is a much better family movie.

7. SixTwoSix

Sgarrista

I mostly agree, watched it the other night begrudgingly as wife wanted to watch it and really enjoyed it. Bradley Cooper has proved himself as immensely talented on multiple fronts and shockingly, Gaga is a really good actress.

I had certain frustrations in that it leaps along a little too fast in the mid part with her rise to fame and didn't really focus on his life changing issues and the childhood that led to his fall out with the brother enough.

I'd personally give it an 8/10 but not sure if it's a movie i'll watch again. Also Shallow is getting played 4/5 times a day on the work radio and i'm starting to detest it.

8. Street

Soldato

The missus seems to have the soundtrack on repeat at the moment so it's getting annoying. At least it means the Greatest Showman soundtrack has been forgotten about!

9. Tee Hee Johnson

Mobster

Glass, 2/10.

Called it a "bag of ass" when leaving the cinema. The first 2/3rds were silly, but the last 1/3rd was just stupid.

GF has lost her film picking rights for at least a few months after that doozie.

10. SixTwoSix

Sgarrista

As I read this another bloody Greatest Showman song has come on the radio, haven't seen it yet but the soundtrack alone has put me off.

11. Begbie

Capodecina

Agreed. Great performances, great movie.

Disagree, it's a pile of garbage! It's far too many homages to star wars that it almost feels like it's trying to copy it in some sort of weird b movie way.

12. neviditelny

Hitman

After ending up listening to Hans Zimmer soundtracks/live shows on Youtube most of the day I ordered some pizza and watched Gladiator today. Haven't seen it in a long long time and it is still a great movie. I saw it at the cinema when it premiered and would love to see it at the cinema again. Great movie, great acting from pretty much everyone, and one of the best soundtracks I can think of. 8,5/10, possibly a 9/10.

13. Werewolf

Commissario

Alita Battle Angel 7/10

Pleasantly surprised at how good this was, the visuals were right on, the action scenes were good, the 3d and the CGI for Alita were not "uncanny valley" unlike the trailer, and the story was fairly well told, the only issue I had with it was some clunky dialog.

14. LizardKing

Sgarrista

The Life of Brian - As the bringer of my first experience of bush on the tv screen I had many fond memory's of this film! Its still very good but those innocent days have left me. Still some very stand out moments of pure comedy genius that will never grow old!

15. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

I watched this again today in 2D (3D yesterday).

The good - the CGI and world building, it is excellent. Alita is very life like, her facial expressions are believable, the way she laugh, cries, it is way above any computer game CGI scenes that I've ever seen. (although there are a few scenes where things looked a little bit less polished).

The bad - I feel some scenes were cut shot, way too short. For example at the start where he finds here in the scrap heap and you see him holding her up with the sun behind him, it cuts immediately of him back in his workshop with him walking up the stairs with the spare body!!!

The acting, especially with the boy, the scene where he confronts his friends near the end was really badly acted. It was much more obvious on 2nd viewing.

I would say this is probably the best anime adaptation to date, i hope it does well because i want to see the next part of the story.

16. signs

Wise Guy

in my top ten films of all time

17. antijoke

Caporegime

The Greatest Showman - 9/10

I dunno what it is about this film but I love it, and I am not a musical film lover at all, seen it three times now and could easily watch it again.

The music is top tier, This is Me is my favourite song, but that Jenny Lind song Never Enough is amazing, and From Now On is also a great song when it gets going.

18. Marvt74

Capodecina

Agreed, my wife had to pretty much bully me into watching it, but i actually really enjoyed it.

19. nantucket66

Hitman

Green Book, solid 8/10. Thoroughly enjoyed this, brilliant performances from the 2 leads Viggo Mortensen and Mahershala Ali, moving and funny in almost equal measure.

I felt it glossed over the racial aspect of what was going on in America at that time to a degree, but not to take anything away from it - the performances were amazing, I had a tear in my eye more than once and laughed out loud way more than I expected!

20. pennywise19

Associate

I watched first man for the third time one of my favourite movies.

Gets me near to tears everytime and I'm usually emotionally numb with everything in life :(