1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What film did you watch last night?

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Richeh, Sep 2, 2009.

1. v0n

Sgarrista

Bohemian Rhapsody (again) - Lifetime-channel-like cheesy and inconsistent biopic with almost no factual value (due to run time?) but Oscar worthy lead. I will not be forced to see it for the third time - 5/10
    Mortal Engines - previous reviewers said it all - dieselpunk fantasy oddity trying-hard-to-push-start-franchise but ultimately short on original plot - 4/10
    A Star is Born - props to Bradley, but by the end I thought I'd love to see a version where Gaga does all that stuff for him, it would be fairer for you know - feminism, and more rewarding for the viewer ;) - 7/10
    Green Book - good story, well played. Among this years Oscar nominations there is as much gravitas and performance difference between Green Book and Black Panther as there would be between Saving Private Ryan and Tropic Thunder. - 8/10

2. Bickaxe

Sgarrista

Lego Movie 2
    Very enjoyable, loved all the pop culture references, quite a lot of laughs too.

8/10

3. sneakysnail

Wise Guy

Watched solo A starwars story.

Did we really need a Ray Liotta origin story? seriously couldnt get it out of my head. Its meant to be a young Harrison Ford and the actors a dead ringer, voice and all for Ray friggin Liotta. How can you get a casting that wrong?

4. VincentHanna

Capodecina

I was less up on it, not as good as the first movie. It had a few moments but I wasn't laughing much.

There was a woman sat near me laughing constantly and I mean constantly. Every scene change, every joke, anything.

I wish I was that easily amused!

7/10 from me

5. Morve

Gangster

Flight, 8/10 denzil was excellent , great story , good sound

6. ThriceNightly

Wise Guy

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

Very Good 8.5/10 first time watching have previously seen and enjoyed the original 2009 Swedish version. Surprisingly good for a big budget hollywood remake.

7. 413x

Capodecina

How to train your dragon 3, the hidden world
    Watched in imax
    8/10

Bad guy lacked presence, but the emotion and culmination of the story plus fantastic visuals did it for me.
    Just a great series throughout. Films I can watch again and again

8. MentalSharps

Associate

The Square - Cannes Palme d'Or winner from last year.
    Was reeeally impressed with it. It's funny as well, and very smart, and visually interesting. Some bits are a little strange / don't really work, but the bits that do work are crazy good. It's really funny - it's basically a send up of the art world.

9. checjb

Wise Guy

"Attraction" 5/10.
    This is a Russian sci-fi flick with subtitles. The plot is rather pedestrian and is basically a pastiche of numerous other films. The special effects, however, are excellent. This is my second Russian film of late (the other was "The Battle of Sevastopol") and they make some decent films.

"Alien Hunter" 4/10
    This was a Ch5 a couple of weeks back and, despite loving sci-fi and monster movies, I'd never seen it so gave it a go. The lead is James Spader and his acting is, as always, great but the plot is noteworthy. Not because it is anything special (I must have read/seen the same idea a dozen times already and usually handled better) but because it is literally just a collection of plot elements from other, better films. I found myself sitting there gleefully pointing out all the callbacks ("Oh wow, that is the found footage from Carpenter's The Thing", etc). There is also a brilliant bit where scientists are growing genetically engineered corn inside an Antarctic research facility and it only exists for two reasons. One to demonstrate a 'scary' plot element and the other to show a hot babe in a bikini (who also points out that she used to do her work naked - thus making you upset at the bikini :)). There is literally no other point to the scene except titillation.
    On the plus side, some good acting, one excellent death scene and a nice visual touch with the corn.

10. krooton

Caporegime

Alita: Battle Angel

The anime and manga were before my time (I'm a late 90s anime starter), so I had no point of reference, but I really enjoyed this.

I thought the cgi was outstanding, how they got around uncanny valley by making Alita not look human worked great, and her facial expression (even the micro-expressions) were fantastic.

Fight scene choreography was also incredibly well done, none of the stupid 4-cuts-per-second-what-the-hell-is-going-on? that is so common in modern movies.

Given the swear limits on a PG-13, her F-bomb was perfectly timed for maximum effect :D

I did skip through the anime on youtube, and they seemed to remain faithful to many of the set-pieces from that. Yes, the romance angle was a bit bleh, but then it is in the source material, so they'd be damned if they didn't by purists any way.

All in all, it was probably the most enjoyable sci-fi film I have seen in a long time, and I really hope for a sequel.

8/10

11. cheesyboy

Capodecina

How to Train your Dragon 3

Went with Mrs Cheesyboy and the kids - it was the cheesylad's 9th birthday and he picked the movie, ahead of Lego Movie 2.

Was a good choice, it was really great. Also enjoyed looking out for Gobber's homosexuality after the reveal in HTTYD2.

This was a great movie - the plane crash was simply exhilarating, and DW is always fantastic.

12. VincentHanna

Capodecina

KEEP THIS SJW NONSENSE OUT OF KIDS MOVIES!!"!"!"!

Said some idiot, somewhere.

13. fez

Capodecina

BlacKkKlansman - 6/10 - Decent enough film but no idea how this is so highly regarded.

14. 413x

Capodecina

Think it says a lot about people who enjoy or don't enjoy this type of film !

We were one of the few adults who didn't have kids with them

15. Freakbro

Capodecina

Alita : Battle Angel

Knew nothing about the original source, enjoyed it - 7/10

16. IvanDobskey

Sgarrista

Overlord 6/10

Pretty gorey and violent nazi horror movie. Was entertaining enough but was expecting better.

17. Kainz

Capodecina

The Monster (Netflix)

I enjoyed this quite a bit! Mommy and daughter break down in a foresty area in their car at night, and there's something lurking in ze woods. Sounds like a typical plain, cheapo flick, yet the performance turned in by the mother is superb. I struggle to find decent, scary stuff on NF these days due to the amount of junk on there so this was quite a surprise.

6.5/10

18. MissJen

Gangster

Rented Venom, I quite enjoyed it! A handful of bits that felt a bit odd or shoehorned in, but overall I was glued :) 7.5/10

19. steve5424

Hitman

Happy Death Day - 8/10

Finally got to watching it and actually thought it was pretty good. Love time loop types stories. Does it pretty well and some good humour.

didn't know there was a sequel out this week.

20. Roland Butter

Perma Banned

You Were Never Really Here [ 2017 ]

This is a film that requires maybe a second viewing, unanswered plot details, flashbacks that never get resolved,
    it sort of fizzles out with a half-arsed sort of an ending.

Not a lot of dialogue and most of it lost in the depths of Phoenix's face fuzz.