What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Instant Family (2019) - 8/10

A worthwhile and fairly balanced story based around the American child adoption process.

It focuses more on the good moments through plenty of funny and lighthearted moments, but also has some emotional scenes that really tug at the heartstrings, especially towards the end.

With a strong cast and good pacing i found it entertaining throughout, although it does feel like an advert for child adoption more often than not.

Associate
Bad Times at El Royale,

I hope someone can jog my memory but I remember seeing a film with an identical setup with the mirrors etc. Possibly with Nicholas Cage in it.
I did think it may have been a remake but I don't think so.

Apart from that , a pretty good watch.

Associate
Bad Times at El Royale,

I hope someone can jog my memory but I remember seeing a film with an identical setup with the mirrors etc. Possibly with Nicholas Cage in it.

Yeah it was called looking glass I believe.

Caporegime
Seen a ton of movies in a space of less than a week, let's try to recap:

American Animals - this wasn't what I expected. Edge of the seat stuff at times. Really enjoyed this.

The Wife - excellent performances from all in this except the plank of wood who played the son with a constant emo fit state of mind. Otherwise excellent.

Bohemian Rhapsody - Rami Malik. :) - made me cry several times on the plane. Bloody queen music making me act like a total queen.

Venom - meh, it was all over the place as widely commented about before. Shame as it had so much potential for epicness.

Three Identical Strangers - incredibly true story documentary piece about 3 triplets. Highly Highly recommend this.

Robot and Frank - Kermode mentioned this as a charming movie and that's exactly what it was. It had some excellent bits of humour (not of it intentional, I believe) and a lovely charm about it. Despite the overall message being about the main character dealing with memory loss. The only issue with it is Liv Tyler's talentless ugly fat lipped boat race spoiling the show a lot of the time.

Alright maybe I'm being too harsh about Liv in general but she felt very out of place, that's all.

BlacKkKlansman - loved it. If you haven't seen it you must!

Phew, I think that's all for now...

Soldato
Guyver and Guyver: Dark Hero
monsters having a scrap in big rubber suits. Has some decent practical effects. Luke Skywalker is in the first and Solid Snake in the second what more could you ask for :D

Associate
Queen Mary of Scots - 8/10
Solidly acted and beautifully directed.
Emotionally absorbing and a great history lesson in the process revealing the duplicity and debauchery as well as the brutality of the times.

Soldato
Velvet Buzzsaw aggressively explores the intercourse between postmodern and late capitalism, while challenging the audience with poignant questions about subjective reality, human identity, and interpretive transactionalism. It is very much a film for our time, but also a film for times that are not ours, and might never be.

Gilroy is confrontational (as always) but never gratuitous. He speaks directly to us, yet also through us, and in some cases beyond us. In this sense, it is the story that invites interpretation, rather than the other way around..

Dear god.

Caporegime
Bad Times at El Royale,

I think we're all aware that there were some bad times at the El Royale. But what about the good times? We never hear about those.

Dear god.

I guess I should have added a spoiler warning.

Soldato
100% classic last night.

Jaws - the original blockbuster, highest grossing film ever (until Star Wars) and a reaaly good film. It sets out to do exactly what it should. Considering it is coming up 45 years old it looked good and still got the heart pounding! 4/5

Caporegime
I watched Alita Battle angel today and I enjoyed it more than most here it would seem, and I've never seen the manga.

It started really good, had some good action sequences and actually used real sets (for the most part) which is always a bonus in sci-fi.

The ending was a bit wet, it definitely tapered off towards the end and had some really laughable bits:

Jennifer Connelly, managing to severe a guys head in a dirty old building and link it to Alita's heart in about 5 mins.

And the later reveal that Vector had put her brains in a jar, and the eyes were still looking around

Despite that I'd give it 4/5.

Caporegime
Got this to watch
Whilst I expected great things, it still caught me off guard :)

I hope you enjoy it!

2 others I saw on the way home:

Crazy Rich Asians - not my usual kind of movie with it being a romcom but it's hard to deny it's likeable characters and ridiculousness of them all. A fun and easy watch

Christopher Robin - this is for those who like a good cry at a movie. Well for me at least it had me sobbing so much the woman next to me on the plane actually asked me if everything was ok :D

I wasn't particularly attached to Winnie the Pooh when I was younger, I don't remember really watching the cartoon or anything like that. This movie is delightfully charming and funny with heaps of emption whilst dealing with bigger topics such as work/life balance and sadness. Another must watch.

Back
Top Bottom