What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Wild Rose (2019) - 8/10
(Unlimited Screening)

A funny and sad drama with some truly great acting performances full of passion and emotion.

The story isn’t that original in concept and has some minor pacing issues, but it also has a lot of depth as it shows the struggle to balance your dreams with your responsibilities.

It has plenty of heart and toe tapping country music which keeps it entertaining and enjoyable throughout, although I felt a bit more could have been done with Glasgow and Nashville’s cultures and settings.

Caporegime
Wild Rose (2019) - 8/10
(Unlimited Screening)

A funny and sad drama with some truly great acting performances full of passion and emotion.

The story isn’t that original in concept and has some minor pacing issues, but it also has a lot of depth as it shows the struggle to balance your dreams with your responsibilities.

It has plenty of heart and toe tapping country music which keeps it entertaining and enjoyable throughout, although I felt a bit more could have been done with Glasgow and Nashville’s cultures and settings.

Saw this about a month ago in screen unseen. I thought the best bit was when she sung and performed and everything in between was filler, I pretty much just wanted to see if she will make it.

Soldato
Fighting with my family.

I thought this was great, wife really enjoyed it too.
Merchant has done a decent script, funny at the beginning, somewhat poignant in parts.
Just a good story and well acted by the various people involved.

The young lad looks so much like Pegg I was amazed to find out they are not related.
Bet Frost did a few double takes on set.

Associate
Seven Psychopaths. Pretty good movie about a guy who is a struggling script writer that gets some unusual help with ideas to get going. A fair amount of good actors have roles in the movie as well. 7/10

Soldato
Triple Frontier - Batman, Jax Teller, Oberyn Martell, Poe Dameron & random B movie actor #5 decide to rip off a cartel house in the middle of the jungle with an estimated $50 million inside. Starts well, goes wrong.

Sounds simple, it kind of is but it plays with expectations all the way through and takes some nice twists and turns. Fairly refreshing watch, excellent cinematography throughout and quite a good choice of soundtrack songs. Could have taken a few more risks with the story but ultimately a damn good watch. Two hours flew by.

8/10.

Soldato
Free Solo

It veered too much towards the documentary side for my liking. There was too much filler about Alex Honnold's girlfriend and not enough El Capitan.

He took 4 hours to climb it, but only about 10 minutes is in the film. If they spent 90% of the film climbing El Capitan, getting the viewer feeling every rock hold and nuance of the climb then it would have been awesome. Even when they did show the El Capitan climb, they blew it by continuously cutting to his grimacing support team on the ground.
3/10

If you haven't seen it, check out The Dawn Wall. I prefer it to Free Solo as a climbing film.

Also, I'm surprised he didn't bin his girlfriend off after she dropped him twice!

Soldato
If you haven't seen it, check out The Dawn Wall. I prefer it to Free Solo as a climbing film.

Also, I'm surprised he didn't bin his girlfriend off after she dropped him twice!

Yeah his girlfriend seemed like bad karma and was really annoying in the film.

I've been meaning to watch The Dawn Wall so will check it out. Also there's Reel Rock on Red Bull TV which is much better than Free Solo. There's a good episode with Alex Honnold and Tommy Caldwell climbing in Patagonia.

Caporegime
Fighting with my family.

I thought this was great, wife really enjoyed it too.
Merchant has done a decent script, funny at the beginning, somewhat poignant in parts.
Just a good story and well acted by the various people involved.

The young lad looks so much like Pegg I was amazed to find out they are not related.
Bet Frost did a few double takes on set.

Saw this last night.

It's okay, Vince Vaughn is really good, the Rock isn't in it as much as you'd think. Florence Pugh is good but overall it'ss an average movie.

p.s. you saved me looking up about the young version of Simon Pegg lol

Soldato
I felt that the film just fell on its' fat face. It started well, but, then had a moment of bubbly trumps and no amount of tissue was ever going to clear cubicle three up.

Watched The Lion King tonight. Defo up there with my all time fave Aladdin.

Soldato
Free Solo was excellent.

Despite knowing the outcome, it was still on the edge of your seat stuff.

Unreal

The Dawn Wall was pretty good, but after watching Free Solo, I just didnt feel the risk element with it.

Associate
Saw this about a month ago in screen unseen. I thought the best bit was when she sung and performed and everything in between was filler, I pretty much just wanted to see if she will make it.

I kind of felt the opposite - it was a good drama which was randomly punctuated by country songs. Don't get me wrong, her musical performances were great, but they didn't always fit with what was going on in her life.

I guess that's the point of the movie, though.

Back
Top Bottom