What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
City of God - 9/10

It’s been a long time since I’ve last watched this but it’s such an incredible film. Can’t think of any way to improve it.

I think being foreign and subtitles really helps as I can sometimes get distracted with films but not possible with this.

Associate
An hilarious movie but so depressing at the same time. One of my all time favourites.

Very true. A couple of fairly unlikable people, but together, "comedy gold". :p

Have you read the novel it was based on? I keep meaning too, but never got round to it.

The movie also makes me want to go on a road trip through California. One day!

Utterly frustrating when you look up the test footage for the 2011 version and see it was almost all practical effects that looked great until they went the CGI route.
"The Thing" is one of the greatest movies of all-time. A classic in every way. The prequel was so disappointing. 94shgIC.png

Critters, I loved this when I watched it decades ago, I had the urge to watch it after the announcement of the new one.

Wasn't as good as I remember but still liked it 5/10

mxWUw4F.gif

First I'm hearing of this. I really liked the original as a kid; I used to rent it out constantly. I know it was far from a classic, but it had a certain charm. The numerous sequels, on the other hand -- were all pretty lame.

This will probably be just the same. of13ot5.gif

Soldato
Very true. A couple of fairly unlikable people, but together, "comedy gold". :p

Have you read the novel it was based on? I keep meaning too, but never got round to it.

The movie also makes me want to go on a road trip through California. One day!

"The Thing" is one of the greatest movies of all-time. A classic in every way. The prequel was so disappointing. 94shgIC.png

mxWUw4F.gif

First I'm hearing of this. I really liked the original as a kid; I used to rent it out constantly. I know it was far from a classic, but it had a certain charm. The numerous sequels, on the other hand -- were all pretty lame.

This will probably be just the same. of13ot5.gif
It's called critters attack, lts r rated, total b movie imo based on trailer

Caporegime
Avengers: Endgame

Loved it. If you're heavily invested in the Marvel universe, you will love it. Anyway, thoughts in spoilers

Overall, i thought it was an incredible feat and an amazing closure to a huge huge storyline. I thought the direction, sound, comedy, pacing were all absolutely spot on
There was very little i disliked about it. A couple of nitpicks, and these are nitpicks

- I wanted to see Professor Hulk vs Thanos. Hulk lost last time because arguably Thanos outsmarted him. But rarely we saw little Hulk smash action throughout the whole movie. But maybe its just not in him anymore now its the brain of banner. Either way, I wanted a rematch.
- Captain Marvel did NOT get enough screentime IMO. She saved Stark, destroyed Thanos' ship, had a small one on one with him where I didn't feel like she went full power....and thats it. She is the strongest avenger in the Marvel universe. I wanted her to go Super Saiyan against Thanos. Especially as she was portrayed as a genuine answered to Thanos building up to it. This genuinely unstoppable powerful force...

Some particular bits I really loved

- Girl power! That moment where all the female supers collaborated was special
- The humour, it was absolutely brilliant. It was not overall cheesy and just fantastically brilliant. It was Ant-Man level humour throughout the movie
- Tony having his interaction with his Dad in the past, that was really charming
- Capt America with Thors Hammer against Thanos, that was badass.

Commissario
I watched Avengers: Endgame which was certainly worth seeing and at the moment at least 3 of the 5 of us who went are looking to see it again (the only thing putting us off is that we've got 3 or 4 other films coming out before June that we want to see at the cinema).

I'd probably rate it a 9/10 partly because it took 20 odd films and tied everything together in a way I've never seen before and suspect I'll not see again.

Visually and audibly it was stunning, whilst the story and script had a bit of everything emotionally.

My brother, Brother in law and nephews have all been talking about it (as have several of my friends on discord) and we're all remembering/point out little bits that one or other of us had missed, or didn't get the significance of (it helps my brother in law is a huge comic fan, and has a great memory for the characters/actors even minor ones).

Nocturnal Animals

Excellent. The opening scene was a bit of a hard sell watching it with family but glad we left it on. The acting was superb, as was the score and the way the story unfolded.

8/10
I've got that on blu-ray, I keep meaning to watch it but it's been a low priority as I got it as a freebie with my secondary player 16 months ago.

I'll push it forward on the list, although it'll probably take a while as I've got a couple of hundred hours of stuff to watch on disc (I've got something like 30 films alone on disc that I haven't watched yet).

Man of Honour
Im not the only one then lol. Bored me silly tbh.

I wouldnt go so far as to say it bored me, but I didnt think it was anywhere near as good as some are saying, I'd give it a 7/10, I actually think Infinity War was a much better film. I was a little disappointed with Endgame, there were quite a lot of individual niggles in the film for me which altogether added up to knocking it down to a 7.

Soldato
It isn't close to what people are saying to be honest. I thought it was predictable and in large parts I was genuinely bored. I didn't think they used certain characters anywhere near as much as they should have.

Soldato
I wouldnt go so far as to say it bored me, but I didnt think it was anywhere near as good as some are saying, I'd give it a 7/10, I actually think Infinity War was a much better film. I was a little disappointed with Endgame, there were quite a lot of individual niggles in the film for me which altogether added up to knocking it down to a 7.

I found IW to be too much action over substance.

EG was excellent, although:

• Thanos ship unleashing wave after wave of missiles, destroying Avengers HQ (Ant Man taking the full force of the first missile in the face) and at the end of the attack all are alive and well, they just need to remove some rubble that was on top of them - yeah, ok.
  • Loved the time travel element despite the paradoxes, especially seeing the older footage mixed, genuine goosebumps on the Avengers 360 scene! Also revisiting of opening of GoTG seeing it from the time travellers PoV, Qu(a)il thinks he is so cool but as Neubla says "idiot" - lol. Nice to see Cap finally got his dream and ended up with Peggy - nice end.
  • Didn't see Starks death coming, but can see why, Downey Jr is what, 54? He was looking old and tired in EG, so not sure he has another movie of this kind in him.
  • Why did Caps shield go to Falcon?! Bucky is the obvious successor or is this a blatant attempt at a black Cap America?
  • Black Panther and his kingdom showing up - flying horses and spears - crap, only MCU movie i have not watched and have no interest in.
  • Professor Hulk was interesting, but should have gone 'full' Hulk for end battle.

Man of Honour
I found IW to be too much action over substance.

Yeah, different tastes for everyone I suppose. Action is what I want from a superhero film, I watch more cerebral films for substance, I try not to think too hard when it comes to superhero films because I find that if I apply thought to them they end up failing logic in every movie

Caporegime
Savages. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1615065/

Travolta plays his part well as per usual, and I found the whole film to be an easy one to get immersed into. A bit gruesome in one or two moments.

Nearly forgot, Benicio Del Toro is also in this, and with the additional involvement of Oliver Stone as director, it's no wonder that I thoroughly enjoyed this movie.

Last edited:
Soldato
Basic Instinct

Great 90s thriller. Really enjoyed the psychology of it, the dynamics between Sharon Stone and Michael Douglas's characters. It has the viewer guessing, revealing possibilities along the way, but at the same time doesn't try to outsmart the viewer. I found it engaging, tense, and also pretty funny at times.

8/10

Soldato
I've got that on blu-ray, I keep meaning to watch it but it's been a low priority as I got it as a freebie with my secondary player 16 months ago.

I'll push it forward on the list, although it'll probably take a while as I've got a couple of hundred hours of stuff to watch on disc (I've got something like 30 films alone on disc that I haven't watched yet).

I've had the film since last summer and also had to whittle down my backlog until I got to it. Even though I just saw it I think it will be one of my favourites of the decade. It was one of those few films that left me mesmerized by just the acting alone. The last film that made me think that was The Proposition.

Caporegime

There were some great moments, but I felt too much of the film was just bubbling along. Nice enough closure of storylines and whatnot for characters, but I just didn't leave the cinema with any sort of 'wow'.

I found Infinity War far more engaging, in fact I actually enjoyed Captain Marvel over all more than this.

A somewhat damp 6/10 from me, and if I were to group all the MCU films now:

Great:
Iron Man
Captain America: The First Avenger
Avengers Assemble
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America: Civil War
Avengers: Infinity War

Good:
Thor
Ant-Man
Doctor Strange
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Thor: Ragnarok
Captain Marvel

Average:
The Incredible Hulk
Thor: The Dark World
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
Ant-Man and the Wasp

Meh:
Iron Man 2
Iron Man 3
Black Panther

Associate
Basic Instinct

Great 90s thriller. Really enjoyed the psychology of it, the dynamics between Sharon Stone and Michael Douglas's characters. It has the viewer guessing, revealing possibilities along the way, but at the same time doesn't try to outsmart the viewer. I found it engaging, tense, and also pretty funny at times.

8/10

And a cracking shot of Sharon Stone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom