1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What film did you watch last night?

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Richeh, Sep 2, 2009.

1. nands

Mobster

Incredibles 2 - not sure that the film was needed at all as the first was so good and self contained. That said though this was really good fun. 4/5

2. ExRayTed

Underboss

Endgame. Disappointed. 5/10

3. FlyingScotsman

Wise Guy

Avengers Endgame, 7/10, not enough action for me, decent enough though and sad at the end.
    Did think the 3D experience was pretty lame though.

4. neoboy

Capodecina

The Unthinkable

Relatively small budget ($2m) Swedish film with surprisingly good special effects and some pretty cool sequences. Got a little ridiculous towards the end but still interesting to see a film from different perspective(s) to the usual Hollywood action films.

7/10

5. 2013

Mobster

Mrs Doubtfire 8.5/10
    A great movie with a decent story and some good moments, It's a movie I can rewatch over and still not stop laughing.

6. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Resident Evil Apocalypse

The Resi film came up in another thread recently and I'd only ever seen the first (thought it was decent enough), so I decided to watch them all.

The first isn't on Netflix or Prime, so started with the 2nd one.

First half was terrible. Maybe I missed it, but had no idea what prompted Alice to arrive in the church, and in such manner. Weird. And terrible visual style on the action sequences.

2nd half was better.

Didn't like Alice being given super powers: much better to just be a straight up badass.

Hope the others are better

7. ivrytwr3

Mobster

Happy Death Day 2 - 7/10.

Enjoyed the first one and was looking forward to this. Not as good as the first and a part at the end got very Scooby Doo! But a decent sequel.

8. nands

Mobster

Coco - Pixar doing an original film seems a bit rare at the moment with all of their sequels. This one is good fun, maybe not up there with their best but Pixar on an average day is still better than most. 4/5

9. MurphyBrix

Gangster

13 Minutes - The story of Georg Elsers attempt to blow up Hitler.

Randomly come across this german made film on the BBC last night. They seem to put some decent random films on Saturday nights in the early hours. A few times I've been hooked to something and ended up staying up till gone 2am.

I knew very little about this assassination attempt on Hitler. I only really knew the attempt by his own men later on in the war. Really good film.

I found it really strange how Elser was allowed to stay alive in concentration camps till weeks before the end of the war with extra rations and preferential treatment and not shot sooner than he was.

7.5/10

10. zxh800

Gangster

Rampant - South Korean zombie flick in ancient Korea

Great production values. Story was ok. Enjoyed the action immensely though.

7/10

11. neoboy

Capodecina

Almost sounds like a Kingdom spin-off, I'll have to check it out.

12. Minusorange

Soldato

A Quiet Place - 5/10

Interesting premise and interesting monsters ruined by a focus on an annoyingly stupid family

13. Plec

Capodecina

End Game - I'm a huge fan of the franchise (although hated antman/wasp with a passion) but found myself underwhelmed 6/10, tops.

I don't want to give away spoilers so won't elaborate on plot - but it just didn't click for for me. Yes, as a story it ticked all the boxes but the inter character development didn't quite gel for me (Paul Rudd :/) and the 'character form/humour' really didn't work for me at all - plain odd and awkward in parts (that's what i watch Deadpool or Guardians for - great films). I get it, complicated, intertwined 'stories' (trying not to add spoilers') - but it all felt too predictable once certain paths were set... Plus, they could have done without a scene in Infinity War which telegraphed too much (may have got lucky/unlucky with my hunch) - i get that they want you speculating but you don't have to be led by the hand. :/

*I do seem to be flowing against popular opinion (especially my wife and kids who looked at me in disbelief when i said "well, that sucked" as the credits rolled) so don't be out off by my very subjective opinion if you haven't watched it yet. I am in the minority and can see why others would enjoy it. Perhaps, i'll enjoy it when released to rent - it's happened before.

Hoping John Wick 3 (a guilty pleasure) doesn't disappoint - that poor dog requires more vengeance!

14. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Long Shot - I was hoping it would be good, having seen positive reviews, but after the first 10-15 minutes, I wasn't optimistic.

However, it's really funny. One of the best actual comedies I've seen for a good while at the cinema in fact.

Brave of them to launch a week after End Game, but it deserves to be seen. Charlize is smokin' hot as well. I think she actually looks better with age.

8/10

15. Plec

Capodecina

Sold! - and Cider House Rules (reference to the film - i'm not a raging alchy randomly imposing my love for fermented apple drinks.).

16. ThePainBarrier

Gangster

Wandering Earth (Netflix) - dubbed Chinese Sci-fi.

Interesting (if silly) idea. Suns gonna go nova so lets build a load of engines on Earth and set off to Alpha Centauri (bit Space 1999 kind of thing I suppose).
    2500 year journey but they manage to mess it up 17 years in.

Over the top CGI and decent enough cast. Story was just missing something though. Would much rather see what happens when they got to Alpha Centauri!

6/10.

17. krooton

Caporegime

It's marmite, 10/10 or 6/10, but I'm with you on the 6.

18. Tek81

Wise Guy

The ToyBox - Decent enough for a late night, beer fuelled film sesh, but otherwise very "meh". Side note - The propensity to end on a negative note, in which the antagonist wins hands-down (something that I've noticed is common place in B-movie horror flicks), annoys me. It isn't "edgy", it's just annoying. 5/10

19. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Extinction tonight.

Much better than the last one. Not exactly great, but a step up if only in cinematography and editing (was so bad in the 2nd film).

20. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

She’s like a vampire, I remember her in the Devil’s Advocate and Sweet November, she still looks the same!