1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What film did you watch last night?

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Richeh, Sep 2, 2009.

1. maonayze

Wise Guy

Yep saw JW3 : Parabellum last night. Haven't felt this good coming out of a cinema in ages. Amazing action sequences which were brutal in places. It wont win any Oscars, but hey we knew that anyway. Leave Brain outside cinema and strap yourself in for a wild ride. Oh I lied....Best Actor and Supporting Actor to those two German Shepards.....WoW! :D

2. sbweightman

Hitman

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (2019) - 7/10

A tongue in cheek action film with lots of well-choreographed over the top fight scenes but not much else.

It’s very stylish in both the setting and action scenes and the light hearted moments are fun, but the lackluster plot and protracted fight scenes meant I was bored of it by the end.

3. Robzere31

Mobster

John Wick 3

As I expected, more of the same which is not a bad thing IMO.
    Good film, not much of a plot if I'm honest but then you already know that, the ending was a bit mmmmm....... but all set up for John Wick 4

7.9/10

4. arc@css

Caporegime

John Wick 2.

Enjoyed it more than I thought I would though I liked the first one more. Very entertaining.

5. Evangelion

Capodecina

The Hoard.

When controversial director Jesse Thomas Cook said he was planning a movie about a pensioner who hoarded junk in multiple houses, critics were quick to respond that it would crash and burn. Skepticism remained high, even after Cook pointed out that he had hired Tony Burgess to write it.

Then Cook brought Matt Wiele on board as co-director, and suddenly people were paying attention.

The cast is solid: Lisa Solberg, Ry Barrett, Elma Begovic, Marcus Ludlow, Justin Darmanin and of course the wildly popular cult favourite, Barry More. Even Tony Burgess gets a cameo of his own.

Set in Rockford, Ontario but filmed primarily in Owen Sound because of the Muslims, this edgy mockumentary punches far above its weight. In November 2018, Brad Miska described The Hoard as 'the film', and 'premiering this month.' It's hard to disagree.

Let's get two things out of the way first: yes, the The Hoard is indie, and the budget was small (Cook still refuses to release details) so I kept my expectations low. But I can honestly say that I was pleasantly surprised.

The plot is a great horror/comedy mashup with a lot more wit than I expected, and a couple of basic twists that add to the flavour. Performances are enthusiastic and satisfying. Cinematography is on point. Colour pallette is challenging, but not overwrought. Humour is dark and sharp (as it should be) with just a tiny drop of easily forgivable slapstick.

I rate The Hoard at 23.31 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a highly engaging 7/10 on IMDB.

6. steve5424

Hitman

See You Yesterday 6/10

Produced by Spike Lee. Decent time travel story although predicable.

It does have the most awesome cameo at the start and a brilliant line relating to the time travel classic the actor starred in.

7. Delvis

Caporegime

BlackkKlansman

Great film, shows how nutty some of the KKK were. Some amusing bits (from the character) also which made it more light hearted per-se.

Probably an 8/10 from me as I'd recommend it

8. ianh

Mobster

John Wick 3 - 8/10 - Baba Yaga's back and the body-count is stunning! TBF the "plot" is just an excuse to move between set pieces which, for most films would be more of a negative for it works here, maybe because I like the franchise I'm willing to pass things I'd criticise in others. The stunts are the star yet again and this time John has help in the shape of and absolutely excellent Halle Berry in a fairly long cameo role which, apart from a nice side-plot with heart-felt story, means she's trained just like Keanu and it really shows.

The rest of the supporting cast yet again do a fantastic job, especially the bosses at the Continental, although "The Adjudicator" is just playing the same character as her one in Billions so while it's not a negative, it's no big stretch for her. The action moves around to several locations which helps split the film into it's 3 main parts and the cinematography is fantastic so my only real complaint is more a necessity-based one, in that they only have so many stuntmen to play Bad Guys so the generic henchmen all wear some form of mask which gets a bit boring to see.

9. nands

Mobster

John Wick Chapter 2 - crazy stuff from start to finish but put together so well that it somehow works. Will watch the third one at some stage! 4/5

10. Converge

Mobster

Rambo: First Blood - 9/10.

Rewatched this via UHD Blu-Ray and it looked brilliant. Such a great film, I only discovered it a few years ago having mistakenly thought it would be like the sequels and it isn’t at all. Now one of my favourites I think :)

11. VoG

Soldato

Ghost in the shell ( 2017 )

Love the anime, but the live action version?, hmmmm not so much, it was a competent enough film but just seemed to lack "something".

The cgi & physical special effects were good as was the acting but the direction on the other hand only did the job, some of the shots were lifted straight out of the anime & recreated shot for shot to great effect, the over all "feel" of the movie to my mind stayed true to the original anime source material tho some of the dialogue how ever was a bit poor and repetitive, on the whole it should've been a pretty good movie but it missed the mark some how, and i can't help but feel that that's down Rupert Sanders playing it far too safe in his interpretation of Ghost in the shell, i really don't think he was the right director for the job.

It could & should have been a great movie, the potential was certainly there, how ever it settled for being merely competent & i came away feeling some what disappointed by the end result.

5.5 out of 10

12. ivrytwr3

Mobster

Lego Movie 2, 6/10

The first 3/4 was like an acid trip and not an enjoyable one, even the kids were bored and unsure what was going on. But the final 1/4 was very good when flicking between real world and lego - just a shame the rest of the movie didn't compare.

13. Maximum Triceratops

Mobster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp1mdSQ4BfI

14. Slam

Wise Guy

The Quiet Place. 5/10. I thought it was strictly average. Disappointing given the many positive reviews.

15. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

My observation is that the majority of people who love it watched it at the cinema and the majority of people who thought it was ordinary watched it at home.

There’s something to be said about the power of this movie in the theatres, where you can feel the entire cinema holding its breath, people stopped eating popcorn and they don’t dare make a noise together.

16. chroniclard

Capodecina

oooh might rewatch this on Blu-Ray, really good movie with some great scenery from what a I recall, shame about the sequels.

17. Slam

Wise Guy

That's fair enough, I can well imagine the atmosphere would be brilliantly tense in a group (even alone, that stair injury moment got me)

18. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

When you have the power to press pause it takes away a big part of this movie’s impact.

19. EYEREX

Wise Guy

Impostor such a great movie which is so underrated

20. Delvis

Caporegime

I really liked it tbh.

Also watched the Ted Bundy film with Zac Efron.
    Recommend it for sure, it's a film about Ted Bundy that doesn't really contain any of the actual Horrors he did, it's more about the character. Interesting take nonetheless