1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What film did you watch last night?

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Richeh, Sep 2, 2009.

1. arc@css

Caporegime

Dahmer. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0285728/

It was ok but I found it dragged at times, both in terms of the pacing and sequence of events, as well as the interaction between the characters.

2. Marsman

Capodecina

I love the 1995 anime film as well. Similar thoughts to you on this live action film; they got the look right, but they missed the point and ended up creating a film which felt more like Robocop than GitS. I guess it was no surprise though; I'm not sure any fan of GitS was confident they would do a good job with the story.

While the direction could have been better, I don't think any blame can be laid at Sanders' feet when it came to the story; the director can only direct the screenplay given to him/her. From what I've read, according to one writer who was credited as having worked on the film, there were at least six or seven different writers who had worked on it in total since 2009 or before.

With something like this, you need someone who understands the source material to do it justice; but then, you have to ask the question, unless it's an independent production, whether the studio would allow them to get on with it. Probably not, is my feeling.

3. DrToffnar

Mobster

Upgrade

A small budget does not excuse a poor screenplay. It starts of well enough and sets up a nice little revenge story, but it really is just that little bit too slow to get going and it has to try and sell you this mad sci-fi concept in just under an hour. Yeah some of the stunt work is impressive and the actors try to make the best of a bad script, but overall it feels to ambitious for it's own good. It's charming in own, inane way, but I wouldn't really recommend it.

Dark Knight Returns: Part 1 & 2

Frank Millers original graphic novel is of course a classis and will remain so forever. This animated 2 parter? perhaps not so much. It is essentially the novel transposed into a different medium and whilst that might first appear to be a good thing, it ends up feeling like a wasted opportunity. Despite a combined run time of just under 3 hours, the two parts are far too racey. Every significant event throughout the story is rushed to it's conclusion so we can get to the next one and as a result the audience has no time to absorb the VERY significant plot points of the narrative.

I never really took much notice as a younger chap, but the voice acting really is quite shocking at times, particularly from Peter Weller. This is made ever more annoying when on the rare occasion he actually delivers it with some gusto! The rest of the voice cast are however pretty decent as a whole. Love Michael Emersons Joker but the highlight is Ariel Winter as Carrie Kelley.

I love the story itself a great deal and have been a fan of the GN since I was wee. There's some really heavy themes in there (even if a lot of them are delivered massively on the nose), but I would have preferred them to change certain things within the canon of the story to deliver a more structurally sound narrative here.

4. arc@css

Caporegime

5. Pighardia

Capodecina

Kong Skull Island 6-7/10.

There are some good moments but editing is all over the place. The whole film I was like - "oh I guess that scene is over. On to the next one then"

Some really great visuals though. Also, Tom Hiddleston is miscast.

6. robfosters

Caporegime

The Meg- I felt violated :(

I feel Sky should refund me some subscription money to compensate me for them uploading this steaming great turd to my sky box. The cast annoyed me so much, I wanted the meg to tear the lot of em to pieces, even the little girl and dog.

7. Infidelus

Wise Guy

I actually didn't mind The Meg. Switched my brain off and watched it for what it was. :p

8. MartinPrince

Wise Guy

Searching (2018) 8/10
    Great mystery, thriller which most computer geeks with a few years under their belts will appreciate.;)

9. sbweightman

Hitman

Aladdin (2019) - 9/10

Enjoyable, fun and entertaining throughout with some great songs, great special effects, good acting and a classic story which moves at the right pace.

Although it’s pretty much a blow by blow remake of the original, there are some new songs and modern additions which work well and although it all ends a bit too neatly, it is a superb production.

10. Puzzled

Soldato

Yeah I enjoyed it, was a bit slow to get going but was nice to see something different.

11. Freakbro

Capodecina

John Wick 3 - 4.5 / 10

Well, I'm going to buck the trend with that score as I thought it was absolutely rubbish. To be fair I only thought the first one was Ok and not so impressed with the second, but the rave reviews on here made me go to the cinema to watch the 3rd.

I mean it had absolutely zero plot and was just an endless conveyor belt of bad guys to dispatch, which was entertaining for the first half an hour, sure, but just became extremely boring after that.

Nodded off a few times as well by the end.

12. Freakbro

Capodecina

Agreed, a bit like the Blair Witch Project which was awesome in a cinema where everyone was dialed in but all it takes is a distraction to completely ruin films like that.

I saw Quiet Place at the cinema and loved the tension, it was just the stretching of credibility too far that knocked a few points off for me.

13. Infidelus

Wise Guy

Just to go against the majority then, I watched A Quiet Place at home and thoroughly enjoyed it :)

14. sbweightman

Hitman

The Secret Life of Pets 2 (2019) - 5/10

The animation is good and the animals (and kids) have the cute factor, but there isn’t much else about it.

The stories are ok, but go far too over the top as they progress, and it feels as though it’s trying too hard to be cool and funny.

There are some mildly amusing moments, but mostly, it’s nothing special.

15. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Resident Evil Afterlife

Really quite bad, this one. Not sure if it's as bad as the 2nd film, but certainly close. Wesker is such a crap villain.

16. Random Guy Esq.

Wise Guy

After watching Fellowship the other night, I gave The Two Towers a rewatch tonight. Like the first instalment, a lot of it surprised me by how well it held up. The battle at Helms Deep still looks pretty well done. Even Gollum looks sharp, given the CGI is 17 years old.

17. ancientmariner

Hitman

Watched US last night, fantastic. Brilliant writing.

18. Royal Fleet

Hitman

I watched it on a plane and still thought it excellent; although the cinema would have been better still.

19. MadMossy

Soldato

Opposite for me, rather than try and do something different, they did just copy paste the original, Smith doesn't even come close to RW in this, if you've never seen the original its a great film and story, but those who have. Might be a bit disappointed.

6.5976457/10 from me

20. Werewolf

Commissario

Just finished watching Spider Man: Into the Spider Verse, which is probably the best Spiderman film I've seen and was great fun.

I would love to see films/tv series based off the various different spider people, or even better a sequel.

[edit]
    Just seen that there is almost certainly going to be a sequel and spin off:D

Last edited: May 26, 2019