1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What film did you watch last night?

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Richeh, Sep 2, 2009.

1. DrToffnar

Mobster

Snowpiercer

I totally get why it's become this cult classic for so many. Great pacing, interesting premise with some really solid casting, not too mention some of the best costume and set design I've seen in a movie for a while. But alas, it didn't get on with me past the first half hour.

Felt it was a little too flabby and perhaps a mite too overly Directed. I've seen comparisons made too Brazil which whilst I think are fair in some respects (overall style perhaps), Bong Joon-Ho is just too heavy handed with everything for it to really be a valid on. Whilst Brazil does certainly lavish in the gratuity of it's fantasy sci-fi visuals, at it's heart there's something more you have to work to understand. Snowpiercer just vomits all the exposition and plot points out at you. TBF though, much of the South Korean cinema I've seen lacks the subtlety I've become so used too in the Western and European films I love. That's of course not a dig at Korean cinema. It's just a cultural thing I guess.

It's certainly not bad, not by a long shot. Just not for me :)

2. barmyllama

Man of Honour

John Wick 3

Mostly enjoyable for the most part, particularly if you liked the other two films.

Could've done with being 15-20 minutes shorter. Some shots and scenes could have been cut without any issues at all.

Personally I think the second film is better, and his motivation for staying alive in the third film seems even more flimsy than his reasons door revenge in the other two.

Fight scenes were some of the best ever committed to film (memory card) but some of them were a bit repetitive or unnecessary to the "plot"

Overall 7/10

As a general observation I can see why cinema seats remain largely empty.

£22 for two tickets to.watch a film that would've looked and sounded better on my moderate home cinema set up, of a a 55" LG OLED and 5.1 speaker set up. Especially after watching the previous two John Wick films on 4k Blu-ray the week before we saw the third.

3. Pyr0m@nI@]{

Hitman

Watched this on the weekend and really enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. Great animation style and a good storyline too.

4. Squid Vicious

Hitman

Captain Marvel 7/10
    Went in with quite low expectations for this given a lot of negative press. Personally I quite enjoyed the movie.

... And now I can watch endgame!

5. VincentHanna

Capodecina

There wasn't negative press, just negative people online.

6. neoboy

Capodecina

Had it playing in the background while doing some work, I'm genuinely not sure if it's something so awfully bad it might actually be good :D

7. drunkenmaster

Caporegime

I really liked parts, and I found others to be irritating. Then the ending had a frustrating but needless zomg she's unbeatable... oh, convenient plot point where she's suddenly weak for 30 seconds to allow someone to get away... nope, super again.

THe big thing I felt jarring throughout the film was she would be doing a brooding moment of being upset, or angry, or scared, or confused and then the next shot she's laughing and grinning like an idiot like the moment of sadness never happened. It just happened over and over again. I absolutely understand why people said her performance was wooden, though I think a fairly large part about that is directing and the lack of letting a 'sad' moment hang at any stage of the film and all but one emotional moment was broken immediately with a joke and the grinning idiot moment. How can you really judge the acting of someone who is being poorly directed. Of course it is possible she was awful and the director cut some uncomfortably bad acting where the moment was left to hang and cut to a joke to avoid it, though it feels more like bad direction to me.

Overall it was good but those moments stood out over and over again throughout the film.

Having not seen endgame, I can kinda only hope that she isn't as powerful as she's ridiculously overpowered.

Also would give it a 6.5-7/10, it was thoroughly watchable, just not brilliant.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  8. Jokester

Don

Avengers: Endgame - 9/10
    Enjoyed this a lot and does a great job of rounding things off.

9. Clov!s

Capodecina

Captain Marvel, thought it was great.

Brie did a good job, Fury was good and the Cat even better. :D

10. arc@css

Caporegime

I've not watched any of the superhero films, where's a good place to start?

11. rubberduck

Mobster

Greatest showman... As expected, made me smile in a few places and I managed to get to the end unlike Lala land.

12. neoboy

Capodecina

You can either go release date starting from Iron Man or there's storyline chronological lists online that start from Captain America: First Avenger. The name suggests why you may want to start from there ;)

13. Clov!s

Capodecina

14. Rossi~

Capodecina

Start by not bothering :D

15. checjb

Wise Guy

Gremlins (1984!). I have a t-shirt featuring Gizmo and my daughter asked me what it was all about. Rather than just describe it to her, we decided to put on the film. The kids loved it and I was impressed by how well the special effects have held up. 35 years though, OMG!

16. Pyr0m@nI@]{

Hitman

Superman (1978)

17. cheesyboy

Capodecina

How old is your daughter?

I feel like my son, 9, is close. I think I must have been about 10 when I watched it. Can't remember - how scary is it for kids?

18. lltfdaniel

Wise Guy

I watched Rita sue and bob too, i recommend it, was a good laugh!

[​IMG]

19. nands

Mobster

American Pie - a teen classic! 4/5

20. the shadow

Soldato