1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What film did you watch last night?

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Richeh, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Vern1961

Mobster

Escape Room - 7/10

Combines the concept behind the Cube and Saw movies, but without much gore. Watchable if not ground breaking. Could have done without the last 5 mins or so completely exposing the organisation behind the "games" and their processes.

2. IvanDobskey

Soldato

We gave up on this one half way through. Does it get better then? We thought the plot was a bit aimless and we struggled to keep any interest in it.

3. SixTwoSix

Sgarrista

Yeah it pays off really well and was quite satisfied, I was a little the same at the start and was thinking "is this it?" but remembered it had strong reviews on a few sites that mirror my tastes.

4. IvanDobskey

Soldato

Maybe we will give it another go then. The premise sounded good.

5. sbweightman

Hitman

Men In Black International (2019) - 3/10

A generic science fiction action movie lacking in excitement or anything really interesting.

The story is boring, the two leads have little chemistry, and the humour is mild at best.

The acting is ok and the leads do try to have some fun, but the special effects vary from quite good (the aliens) to rather poor (the green screen work).

6. Nitefly

Man of Honour

Venom - well what a surprise, I quite liked that! Wonderfully goofy and fun. There’s just something amusing about that bit dumb grinning face and the strange way he spoke :D

8/10

7. sleazy

Gangster

[​IMG]
    Keaton at his very best and Monaghan as sexy and tragic as hell :):)

8. ianh

Mobster

Get Shorty & Be Cool - 7/10 & 3/10 - Get Shorty was a nice little Noir/4th-wall style film with Travolta, Hackman and Russo all being in top form with some really sharp banter from Elmore Leonards script, which feels like it is at Soderbergh/Sorkin levels for most of the film. However I think the "knowing winks" to camera (within the script) were maybe a little too strong but the film was enjoyable none the less. The sequel Be Cool was a huge mess however, with the "Knowing Winks" ramped up to parody levels, poor performances for virtually everyone (except a scene-stealing one by Andre 3000) and just a lack of love for the original making it seem like a money-grab.

9. Marsman

Capodecina

I really like Get Shorty, but Be Cool was certainly terrible. Interestingly, Get Shorty was directed by Barry Sonnenfeld, who also directed the first three Men in Black films. Be cool, was directed by Felix Gary Gray, who also directed Men in Black: International. I think it can definitely be said, Gary Gray really shouldn't bother directing any more comedic films.

10. NickK

Capodecina

MIB International - 6/10 (5 being average), good for kids (the kids in front of us were laughing their asses off) although the plot is simple. Adults probably a 4/10.

11. LizardKing

Sgarrista

The hummingbird project. very much a War Dogs feel but without the based on true story angle. Salma Hayek didnt fit the plot/style at all but other than that the film was a good watch!

12. Rising

Gangster

MiB International - 2/10 Really poor, acting was pretty poor, no chemistry with the leads and little to no decent humour/action

X-Men Dark Phoenix - 3/10 Not the worst film I saw today (see above), pointless story with no engagment with any of the characters

13. arc@css

Caporegime

Stephen King's The Shining (1997). https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118460/

Actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I still prefer the style and production of the first one, though. Both recommended.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  14. SPG

Soldato

Detective Piacacho (however you spell it)

I hate myself for enjoying it

7/10

15. Nitefly

Man of Honour

Just watched the Jack Nicholson film!

Starts off very strong but from many rewatches now it’s a little slow for my tastes and I spent most of my time waiting for ‘the good bits’ - there is LOT in between. Also it’s actually quite anticlimactic. The best bit is the axe/door scene and it goes on for quite some time afterwards.

Jack Nicholson is great of course although he does get zany far quicker than I remembered.

The resolution of the cook’s storyline is, admittedly, just a bit annoying. Again, a lot of ‘waiting’ for the ‘payoff’.

Kinda interesting that it wasn’t as compelling as I remembered.

7/10

16. Random Guy Esq.

Wise Guy

Wow, didn't even know this was a thing!! Will check it out, thanks.

17. arc@css

Caporegime

I think another version was made because, IIRC, King never liked the original. :)

18. arc@css

Caporegime

It's a film I can watch quite often. I like the slow build up but each to their own. :)

19. Random Guy Esq.

Wise Guy

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what his take is on Doctor Sleep.

20. No1newts

Capodecina

Put on Murder Mystery a Netflix original whilst ironing, what a heap of **** it did not have a single redeeming quality. 1/10.