What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Get Out.

Third time I've seen it all the way through and each time I seem to notice more than the previous time. Very good film.

I absolutely loved this at the cinema, as such, i've been hesitant to rewatch in case I don't enjoy it so much the second time around. Two other films that I feel the same about are It Follows and Ex Machina, thought they were brilliant but don't want to skew my initial impressions of the films if I don't like as much on a rewatch.

Caporegime
I absolutely loved this at the cinema, as such, i've been hesitant to rewatch in case I don't enjoy it so much the second time around. Two other films that I feel the same about are It Follows and Ex Machina, thought they were brilliant but don't want to skew my initial impressions of the films if I don't like as much on a rewatch.

I haven't seen Ex Machina but I loved It Follows; I hope another film like that comes along.

Have you seen 'Us'? That, I think, has the same director behind it as Get Out did.

Soldato
I haven't seen Ex Machina but I loved It Follows; I hope another film like that comes along.

Have you seen 'Us'? That, I think, has the same director behind it as Get Out did.

There is an It Follows sequel in progress called Follow It with the survivors trying to trace the source but haven't heard much about it for a while now.

Ex Machina is superb, total sleeper hit for me and if you like sci fi in any way, you'll enjoy it.

I really liked Us, I know it's a divisive marmite movie but it felt so refreshing, probably because mainstream horror has been pee poor for a while now.

Associate
Agreed. The first is an absolute classic but the second has so much more to say. That ending as well... perfect.

I don't agree with Pauline Kael's reviews all the time, but when she said that the second was fuller and thematically richer (if I'm remembering that correctly), I found myself agreeing.

Caporegime
There is an It Follows sequel in progress called Follow It with the survivors trying to trace the source but haven't heard much about it for a while now.

Ex Machina is superb, total sleeper hit for me and if you like sci fi in any way, you'll enjoy it.

Intriguing news on the It Follows front. :cool:

Cheers for the recommendation; I may check out Machina tonight.

Associate
Yesterday (2019) - 8/10

A good “what if” story filled with plenty of great music, although it doesn’t really explore the premise beyond the basics.

It’s funny and feel good at times as it explores the ups and downs of trying to make it in the music business and the relationship development is good because of the strong acting from the leads.

Not as original or funny as it could have been, and some of the supporting cast and cameos felt a bit too much, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Associate

I feel the same about Ex Machina. It's a slow paced film, yet I was so intrigued the whole time. Now, with the knowledge of the whole storyline, I'm doubting I'll have anywhere near as much fun rewatching it.

Because I enjoyed Ex Machina so much, I had very high expectations for Alex Garland's next film, Annihilation. Needless to say, I was really disappointed by it.

I've not seen It Follows, so looks like I need to add that to the watch list.

Caporegime
Ex Machina.

Turns out its one that I saw the beginning of a while back but for some reason didn't continue watching. Well, I'm glad I watched it all the way through this time. Good movie and highly immersive. :)

Looking for a new fix now that's over...

Soldato
The Shape of Water 8.5/10 (5 being average) - superb, thoroughly enjoyed it. If you think it's going to be a girly flick, don't worry it's not. Great script, acting and never a dull moment.

Permabanned
Minority Report. First time watching it after picking it up on BR for £2 (extended edition), have been meaning to watch it ever since it was released but have just never got round to it. Thought it was a really clever 'action' thriller set in a dystopian future (always love this) which touched on some pertinent philosophical points regarding destiny vs free-will. I honestly cannot believe how well this film has 'aged' for a 2004 sci-fi film. Indeed a lot of the technology shown is now reality so well worth a re-watch if you haven't seen it since it was released.

A very solid 8/10 (almost a 9 but not quite). Will look forward to a re-watch when I upgrade AV equipment.

Soldato
Bumblebee while on a plane.
Without doubt the best of any transformers film.
I’d say this one gets a 6/10.

Is has a story, it isnt just overly complex scenes of transforming breaking into slow mo transforming.
Not oerfect by a long way, but enjoyable tosh.

Soldato
This was the film that got me into the Cohen Brothers, seen it so many times. I just recommended it to someone last week actually and they saw it for the first time at the weekend. Such an awesome film

"You're entering a world of pain" :D One of my favourite films. Check out The Ballad of Buster Scruggs if you like the Cohen Brothers and haven't seen it yet. Burn After Reading, O Brother Where Art Though, and Fargo also fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom