1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What film did you watch last night?

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Richeh, 2 Sep 2009.

1. jpaul

Capodecina

Offensive(2016) gripping horror .. in the home invasion /Winner gendre - enough said, better than average 7/10, on horror channel last night

2. sbweightman

Hitman

Black Widow (2021) - 7/10

Heavier on the ‘family’ drama and emotional side than other superhero movies, but it was very well done with great acting and a great cast.

The plot was pretty much as expected, although it did have a few surprises, and the iconic characters were really brought to life in the fast paced, exciting and destructive action scenes.

The special effects were good in the small scale but they were pretty weak in the large and it didn’t really feel like it had the grandness of the other Marvel movies.

The humour was ok, although mostly felt forced and the main villain wasn’t anything special, but overall, it was good.

3. NickK

Capodecina

Black Widow 4/10. (5 being average)

No real plot, but fun

4. TurtleTwo

Hitman

Notting Hill 10/10

I don't care what anyone says this movie is magnificent. Julie Roberts shines in every role and the chemistry between them was so profound. The direction was spot on, probably one of the best lines in any romantic film too "I'm just a girl, standing on front a boy, asking him to love her" in that moment you can see past all the fame and celebrity status and see that she's a vulnerable normal girl putting her heart on her sleeve.
    I also loved the ending scene with them sitting on the bench in the park on a nice sunny day with the panning of the camera going round and then seeing her pregnancy bump. It leaves you feeling a warm emotional mushy feeling that their future is blossoming.
    Seen the movie so many times but it hits me the same every single time. Marvelous.
    P.S it's based on a true story of a guy Hugh Grant knew.

Next: Black Widow.

5. Cadder

Wise Guy

Tomorrow War 7/10

Was good enough to waste a couple of hours on.

6. Reality|Bites

Perma Banned

Pegg and frost night here,
    Paul then Absolutely anything

7. VoG

Soldato

Tomorrow War 6/10

An ok movie with some at times decidely iffy cgi which i don't think would've fared too well on the big screen.

Godzilla : King Of The Monsters 8.5/10

Now that's how you do a monster movie, tho it's hard to see where they'll go from here as they've pretty much trashed the entire planet!.

8. Dup

Capodecina

Unhinged: 7/10

Nice short movie that my other half found quite stressful to watch :D

I want expecting the last half to be so intense but you pick up on all the foreshadowing they do in the first half. Nice satisfying movie.

9. TurtleTwo

Hitman

You wasn't wrong with Black Widow.. almost as bad as Captain Marvel. What a completely wasted opportunity, completely forgettable. I actually liked the character in the marvel universe but now she's dead (end game) I doubt she'll get anymore movies. What a waste. 4/10.

Post credit scene was interesting though.

10. inflames

Wise Guy

Tomorrow’s war 7/10

certainly felt like Aliens on earth. Even my wife who does like sci-fi enjoyed it.

11. jcr

Wise Guy

wrath of man 7/10
    enjoyable and just what youd expect from statham.

12. FoxEye

Caporegime

John Wick 3 - Nonsense/10

Actually, nonsense x 1 gazjilliontyboohickdillyon.

Here is my review of John Wick 3: kablaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

e: On a more serious note, this sums up most of the problems

Admit that John Wick is a Garbage Franchise You Cowards | Scene and Heard: Scene's News Blog (clevescene.com)

Whilst I'm not so bothered by the gratuitous violence as this critic seems to be, I agree with the rest of the points they make. The John Wick franchise is gratuitous violence, but this instalment is not necessarily entertaining. It manages to be quite mind-numbing gratuitous violence.

There's a lot of times where you're thinking, "That was kind of cool the first time but we've seen it 10 times now in the space of a minute." The fight scenes are not great. A lot of the time the martial artists can be seen either putting up no resistance at all, or slowing their movements to a crawl, or deliberately missing Mr Wick. And Wick himself has about three moves, and three moves only. And one of them is a slap, lol.

In truth, most of the film plays like a video game. I actually said to myself, "This is Max Payne the film." Only with a plot that is completely unfathomable. And that's not really a compliment, tbh. Video game logic doesn't make for a great film, unfortunately.

There are unlimited enemies that just run at Wick and he slaps them. It's over an hour of people getting slapped and falling over. It's not really engaging. I found myself laughing at a lot of it.

Bonus (negative) points for the Game of Thrones guy doing the worst possible Italian accent.

Last edited: 10 Jul 2021
  13. AndyCr15

Capodecina

Black Widow - 6½/10

Generally a very watchable movie. The fight scenes are great, really well choreographed and the story was reasonable. Slightly odd at the end...

Did I see right, a single shot from a gun took down the whole huge flying red room?

14. kona786

Capodecina

Watched this last night. It was certainly entertaining. The lady doing her makeup in her car got more than she bargained for :D

7/10

15. Nitefly

Man of Honour

The Tomorrow War

One of the most bafflingly nonsensical films I have ever seen in terms of plot holes and ‘protagonist strategy’, perhaps the most baffling I’ve ever seen? But, the journey as a whole was fun and watchable.

6/10

16. VoG

Soldato

Bird Box 5/10

I was hoping for some thing along the lines of A Quiet Place but no such luck, what i got instead was 2 hours of tedium with the occasional moment of interest thrown into the mix to keep you watching till the idiotic end, pretty much a snooze fest.

John Wick 3 6/10

I think it's about time Reeves put JW to bed as he's not getting any younger, & he's definately slowing down, the most entertaining part of the movie?, the dogs!, they clearly enjoyed what they were doing & went for it with total commitment, they were like frikkin fur missiles zooming across the screen!. take the dogs out of the equation and it would have to be 5/10, we've been here before & the novelty is wearing awfully thin.

17. potatolord

Wise Guy

Trapeze starring Burt Lancaster and Tony Curtis. 6/10, not a bad film.

Burt does a lot of the trapeze work himself, as does Gina Lollobrigida. It's bonkers that there was a time when a major Hollywood star was allowed to take such risks.

18. plasmahal

Mobster

21 Bridges, worth a watch, 7/10.

19. ivrytwr3

Mobster

28 Days Later - showing it's age now, but what a great movie (fancied some zombie action!)

The Corporal in the movie was **** though - proper sterotype of army personnel which was annoying.

20. FoxEye

Caporegime

A lot of the dog sections were CGI :p Sorry.