1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What film did you watch last night?

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Richeh, 2 Sep 2009.

1. sbweightman

Hitman

Fear Street Part 1: 1994 (2021) - 7/10

Entertaining American teen horror focusing more on style and setting than suspense or horror, although it does have a bit of both as well as some drama. Good story, characters and setting with a variety of iconic killers to menace the cast, although it does get a bit silly towards the end.

Fear Street Part 2: 1978 (2021) - 6/10

Great production values and acting, but as you know what’s going to happen, it loses almost all of its suspense. The killer isn’t very menacing and the film is a bit slow at times, although still worth watching as it tells its own story and adds to the overarching plot. The characters were a mixed bunch – the leads were quite good, but most were cliché stereotypes.

Fear Street Part 3: 1666 (2021) - 4/10

Persecution by another name and in another time, but nothing truly stood out for me in this film. The cast are great, but I felt the historical setting wasn’t that interesting; having a lot more drama or spectacle would have made it better. The conclusion of the overarching plot was ok, although the mall scene was just ridiculous, but the ending didn’t feel right and the lack of a truly menacing strong singular villain makes for weak horror.

2. BriT

Mobster

Inglorious ******** - Great as ever! 9/10

Last edited: 14 Sep 2021
  3. TurtleTwo

Hitman

The Guilty - 7/10

Really liked this, the suspense and edge of seat thriller kept me intrigued throughout. Didn't see the twist coming. Not seen the first so might have to give that a try.
    Jake's acting was spot on as usual.

Worth a watch.

4. Reality|Bites

Perma Banned

Rainman 8/10
    better then the guilty if you've not seen it :p

5. Lartyconshayo

Mobster

Finally got round to Nomadland. Really beautiful scenery. The romanticism and hardship of life on the road in 21st century USA. 10/10

6. Reality|Bites

Perma Banned

you think so? did you enjoy it for what it was or for what it wanted to say?

7. Lartyconshayo

Mobster

Both I guess. People are forced into the way of life by circumstances. Misfits who ebb and flow. Camaraderie but distance. Rich in spirit. Experiencing America in way that most people don't. Spending lots of time in beautiful nature.

8. melmac

Sgarrista

Boss Level 5/10 I thought the whole film was kind of stupid. However, it is worth watching as your enjoyment of this movie will be entirely based on what mood you are in. It has Deadpool vibe to it and tries to do the whole time loop thing a little different. It just wasn't for me. Selina Lo steals the show imo, as the actor who plays Guan Yin.

"I am Guan Yin, and Guan Yin has done this"

9. kinger8938

Capodecina

Coherence

Actually really enjoyed this. It's clearly a very low budget Sci-fi story but it's pulled off really well. Groups of friends meet for dinner as a comet flies over head, which in turn causes some mind bending shenanigans.

Acting was ok, apparently some of which was improvised

Goes to show a film can have an impact no matter the budget.

Available on Prime

10. Efour

Caporegime

Dune 8/10

I'm a huge fan and whilst this looks fantastic, I feel like so many characters are squashed paper thin and given so little time.

Looking forward to a 2nd. Viewing

11. Begbie

Caporegime

Special screening?

12. Efour

Caporegime

General release in Sweden today...

13. Sankari

Caporegime

Malignant.

This is one of those dreadful James Wan movies that make you say 'Well at least it's not one of those dreadful James Wan movies!' until 20 minutes in, when you realise it is one of those dreadful James Wan movies.

The entire thing is a mess. Acting is atrociously overdone. Music is stale, repetitive, and over-used. Plot holes are more like plot valleys. Production values are spotty. Pacing is horrendous. At times I felt like I was watching a 1980s B grade horror.

Malignant was a commercial failure, grossing just $17 million against a budget of $40 million. May God have mercy upon the souls of every person responsible for this shambolic effort.

I rate Malignant at 33.3 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a humiliating 1/10 on IMDB.

14. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Schumacher

Netflix's very much authorised biopic of Michael Schumacher provides a compelling insight into the personal life of the racing legend, but makes little or no attempt at balance. For an F1 fan like me it's a interesting and enjoyable watch but some weird writing decisions leave out major parts of the story they are telling in a way which I think would be extremely hard to follow for non-fans, or fans not familiar with the era. (The film is also being discussed in its own thread here).

For F1 fans, a watchable 7/10, or anyone else a missable 4/10.

15. Freakbro

Capodecina

That doesn't give us much wiggle room on the score as I thought it was far far better than Candyman :cry:

Last edited: 16 Sep 2021
  16. McManicMan

Soldato

same here, miles better than Candyman

17. Vern1961

Mobster

Nobody - 8/10

Not going to win any Oscars, but if you like brain in neutral/beer and a dog movies like Shoot 'em Up or Crank then this fits the mould nicely.

Only problem is, Bod Odenkirk is so typecast as Saul in Breaking Bad and the spin off, it's hard to see him as a different character. And my god, Christopher Lloyd and Michael Ironside look ancient (then, CL looked old in Back To The Future!).

18. LizardKing

Sgarrista

The Green Knight - This will leave you thinking and researching the myth for sure, the trailer and description do it no justice and i'd have passed on it for not a few posters here mentioning it. Comes across somewhat hastily finished or that could just be down to its rather low budget but seeing past that there is a gem of a film here with some great scenes and cinematography. Certain bits reminded me of The Fall in its story telling.

19. Reality|Bites

Perma Banned

20. Scam

Capodecina

The BBC show with Jamie Dornan as a serial killer? Sounds intriguing. I do want to see this, thought it was on Prime as well as cinemas - couldn't find it though?