What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Dr Strange and the Multiverse of Madness

The CGI is as good as ever, but the films of the Marvel Cinematic Universe are feeling increasingly tired. After the punchy finale of the last arc in Endgame, it feels like the power levels have been ramped so high that they don't know where to go. Watching a character use CGI to defeat the CGI of another character may look fantastic but it's hard to have any feeling of real stakes. When it's impossible to judge the limits of what they can do, any fight scene feels unengaging since it's simply an orgy of effects. That's made even worse in this film by the multiverse theme, when there's a infinite (or at least huge) number of universes what is special about "our" universe? Yet it is very much treated as special by the film, when powerful superheroes of another universe are slain it has little punch and is treated as having little punch. When our "hero" casually brutalises a street vendor in this other world for the shocking crime of *gasp* wanting them to pay for their food it's treated as a joke not a shocking abuse of power. Meanwhile the overarching plot about Scarlet Witch
going evil out of the emotional aftermath of Vision being killed and coming out of it due to her lingering humanity at the end, was done much much better by Wandavision and the repeat here feels like it robs the vastly better series of its satisfying character resolution

The MCU, and superhero movies generally, has dominated the action and blockbuster genres for a long time now. I think we're beginning to see the end of that run.

5/10, nothing to go out of your way for.

Soldato
Just over 3 hours of RRR on Netflix, got a bit crazy near there end with the usual Bollywood action but enjoyable stuff.

Share the same sentiments as above in regards to Marvel films, in the sense they're becoming quite tiring to watch. Definitely couldn't sit through a 3 hour Marvel film these days.

RRR was quite refreshing to watch.

Soldato
Just over 3 hours of RRR on Netflix, got a bit crazy near there end with the usual Bollywood action but enjoyable stuff.

Share the same sentiments as above in regards to Marvel films, in the sense they're becoming quite tiring to watch. Definitely couldn't sit through a 3 hour Marvel film these days.

RRR was quite refreshing to watch.
I also watched RRR after a video by corridor digital. Mental film but very very enjoyable.

Soldato
I think Maverick is one of those films that needs to be experienced on the cinema screen.

I too am waiting for a home release, can't stand Cinema's.

To many people who don't know how to eat quietly, sitting there rustling their packets, makes me want to not only poo through their letterbox but also drop one in their popcorn!

Associate
Add to that they can't stay off their phones while the film's on, so every so often you get distracted by a smartphone lighting up ...

Haven't been to the cinema since .... Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Totally Ruined Film; not expecting to ever go again.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Beavis and Butthead do the universe

2xb7rrj.gif
out of
2xb7rrj.gif

Soldato
Beavis and Butthead do the universe

2xb7rrj.gif
out of
2xb7rrj.gif
I am so lucky my parents ('43, and '48) had a barrier up against modern culture and had no issue buying me South Park, Beavis and Butt-Head, Ren and Stimpy, Celebrity Deathmatch etc. Or maybe I am not lucky at all :cry: :cry: :cry:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
That's basically my childhood with all those shows :D Throw in there Cow & Chicken and a few others and you have my typical Saturday morning nailed :cool:

Soldato
That's basically my childhood with all those shows :D Throw in there Cow & Chicken and a few others and you have my typical Saturday morning nailed :cool:
Pork butts and taters! I feel sorry for my daughter - no-one will be aligned with her :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ed, Edd and Eddy was excellent too. And Dexters Lab. Need to get myself on Sonarr :cry:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Don't forget Powerpuff Girls, Rugrats!

It is a must for all kids to grow up watching these shows. Otherwise they grow up as total fartknockers who moan on social media about every little thing :D

Last edited:
Soldato
The only time my 'estranged' brother ever did a family thing with me - took me to watch Rugrats the Movie at Odeon. Epic. Powerpuff girls also great. That coupled with my uncle being a stay at home uncle was why women not having rights took me by surprise :cry:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: mrk

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Above all else, it is amazing to see something brought back from the 90s and not been ruined in any way, in fact it's even better than the movies/show reboot that happened years ago.

Associate
Doctor Strange in the...
Typical glossy Marvel pap. I didn't recognise Bruce Campbell until he appeared again at the end. Blimey, he's aged. I didn't spot Ted Raimi either, perhaps he didn't make a cameo?

Soldato
Top Gun Maverick on saturday - 8/10 - by the numbers but lots of fun, flight footage was excellent, worthy sequel - hard to say a lot that hasn't already been covered.

Top Bottom