What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Two for me:-

Enemy - yes Denis Villeneuve is now one of my favourite directors. This time Jake Gyllenhaal plays a man stuck in a rut who notices an extra in a film he watches looks exactly like him, obsession and interesting things then happen. 4/5

Tremors - watched this with the family and it is still an excellent fun film. 4/5

Soldato
Can anyone remember that hour long film that was about soldiers trying to rescue survivors from infected people? They were in an office building I think, I know it was posted here a while ago but I don't know what to search for.

Soldato
Watched Nine Lives yesterday evening.
I know it has been critically panned, not going to win any Oscars but amusing in a brain-neutral pantomime boo-hiss sort of way. If anything a bit short (the kitty action didn't really start until 20 mins in) and there was greatly missed potential by not doing Big
and having the full reverse body swap, with the cat's aura trying to cut it as Kevin Spacey's CEO character.

Soldato
Brent : Life on the Road 2016 (8/10

I am a Gervias fan, and I loved the Office so it was going to be an unlikely turn of events if I disliked this.

Cringe inducing as usual and funny, but this time the constant exposure of David Brent to mockery to alienation made me pity him, and the ending of the film when we get to see a tiny flicker of the man behind the persona hit me in the feels.

Permabanned

I am a Gervias fan, and I loved the Office so it was going to be an unlikely turn of events if I disliked this.

Cringe inducing as usual and funny, but this time the constant exposure of David Brent to mockery to alienation made me pity him, and the ending of the film when we get to see a tiny flicker of the man behind the persona hit me in the feels.

I still need to see this. I too am a massive Gervais fan, though more when he's riffing with Karl and Merchant then when he's acting. Despite what they both said in interviews, I never found Brent in the least bit endearing as character. I always thought he was mean spirited and selfish (unlike Michael Scott in the US version). Perhaps I'll like this move simply for the reasons you stated and how they might reshape his character.

Caporegime

Yeah..I too felt sorry for him...TBH I thought the film was too cruel...Brent is a tool but we love him still not pity him...

Soldato
Finally got around to watching The Martian. I really enjoyed it, thought it was quite funny throughout and an interesting story overall. I guess the ending was a little silly but it was a nice change from the usual stuff I watch.

Associate
The Siege of Jadotville (2016) - Netflix Original film

A very solid war film based on a fascinating true story. 150 Irish soldiers surrounded and forced to fight against an onslaught of 3000+ mercenaries. Very well done battle scenes and believable throughout.

8/10

Incredible to think the Irish didn't lose a single guy - they just eventually ran out of ammo.

Caporegime

Watched last night, not sure what to think. Not sure I liked it really.

It felt too late, and he was OTT Brent. Still nice to see somewhat of a follow up.

Manchester by the Sea - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4034228/

Loved it. A well written and acted story about a guy dealing with the loss of his brother.

9/10

Advance screening? It's not out in the UK yet, is it?

Caporegime
La la land 9/10

I tried to hate it but I ended up loving it.
Musical dance jazz nonsense lovestory set in and around Hollywood with a distinct 30s 50s vibe.
Oscar nominations for sure

Last edited:
Caporegime
Why him? 7/10

Xmas themed family comedy with excess sex and poop jokes and swearing so much that you become numb to it.
Moderately amusing in parts but ultimately forgettable. Amusing supporting character that tends to steal the scenes where ever he shows up. 2 for 1 or cheap tickets but not worth full price.

Caporegime
La la land 9/10

I tried to hate it but I ended up loving it.
Musical dance jazz nonsense lovestory set in and around Hollywood with a distinct 30s 50s vibe.
Oscar nominations for sure

Why him? 7/10

Xmas themed family comedy with excess sex and poop jokes and swearing so much that you become numb to it.
Moderately amusing in parts but ultimately forgettable. Amusing supporting character that tends to steal the scenes where ever he shows up. 2 for 1 or cheap tickets but not worth full price.

Was their a film festival last night or something? :confused:

Soldato
Yeah..I too felt sorry for him...TBH I thought the film was too cruel...Brent is a tool but we love him still not pity him...

I think you hit the nail on the head. Brent is 100% a 'pratt', but he has always been sorta likeable. In this film aside from perhaps three people, he was abused, mocked and taken the *** out of at every opportunity.

Laugh out loud moments for me :

1)"Dont make fun of the disabled" song (completely un PC but hilarious)
2)The 2 women that he picks up at the ATM. The constipated one with mucky underwear. I was in stitches.
3)"****e night"

Soldato
The book is far, far better than the movie.

20% of the story is missing.

Be interesting to see if they release a directors cut.

Oh really, thanks for that recommendation. I'll pick the book up then as I did really enjoy the film so if the book is better that's always a good thing :)

Soldato
Westworld (1973)

Really enjoyed it. One that I'd never heard of until the recent buzz about the TV programme. Liked the concept and the way it was done with dry humour. I can see so many films that lifted ideas from it too.

8/10

I like to ponder if Halloween and The Terminator would exist without West World.

Back
Top Bottom