What film did you watch last night?

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Magnificent 7 (2016)

Absolute rubbish. I've not seen the original, I hear it's a bit special. Was disappointed with this version. Pretty good cast (Denzel always brings it), but the film just didn't do it for me

I thought it wasn't too bad. Nothing compared to the original but certainly not as bad as it was made out to be.

Caporegime
Guardians 2

An ok film, but quite far from the glorious first one imo.
6 or 7 big lol moments, but most of the humour felt very forced.
Great special effects, top notch, but story was disjointed and flowed poorly.
I also didn't like the retcon, was totally pointless.

Also thought the cheery mass murder scene was a bit heavy for a 12A :p

6/10

Last edited:
Soldato
Trying to make up my mind about Guardians too, but essentially I enjoyed it so much that I don't really care to dwell to much on the flaws. Was grinning or laughing for the entirety of the opening sequence. A few lines absolutely slayed me.

" I'm Mary Poppins y'all"
Had me giggling like a school girl

And the funeral at the end had me quite emotional too, which doesn't normally happen! I do enjoy a good redemption.

Caporegime
Trying to make up my mind about Guardians too, but essentially I enjoyed it so much that I don't really care to dwell to much on the flaws. Was grinning or laughing for the entirety of the opening sequence. A few lines absolutely slayed me.

" I'm Mary Poppins y'all"
Had me giggling like a school girl

And the funeral at the end had me quite emotional too, which doesn't normally happen! I do enjoy a good redemption.

It's not a perfect film but this film is enjoyable and it knows what it is, it hits more than it misses and ultimately time flew by which is the main thing for any movie.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Hacksaw Ridge 3/10 - one American, one half American and several truck loads of Australians embark on a bizarre mission of retelling Forrest Gump Vietnam scenes as a Call Of Duty in game footage. Ends up being an odd pastiche - as if watching gun blazing Rambo sing John Lennon's peace songs.

Mine 7/10 - surprisingly solid attempt on a limited budget "shortest end credits ever" Kajaki-meets-Phone-booth" drama. Enjoyed it.

Get Out 7/10 - Jordan Peele turns Manoj Shyamalan and decides to do a comedy script as a mystery event thriller. It actually works.

Soldato
Sausage Party.

I remember seeing this advertised but I clearly didn't pay enough attention. After this started I had to double check the rating as I always thought it was a kids film... :o

From the beginning, the entire film just felt inappropriate and the film contains way too much swearing. Few funny moments but it tries too hard to be funny.

Caporegime
GOTG2.
Loved it and hope to see it again on the big screen before it finishes it's run. Brilliant fun, no need for character development in the main cast and the laughs are relentless because of it.

Went to see this again tonight, mainly for the credit scenes.

2nd time round it is still enjoyable, I did look at my watch though but not until an hour and 20mins in.

The most impressive thing about the movie is how they got Kurt Russells' young self CGI look almost real! In fact, I would say it passes as real.

Caporegime
Batman Vs Superman: Ultimate Edition - 6.5/10

After hearing a lot of bad press for a movie which I was quite excited about I went into this with expectation of it just sucking from the word go. I knew the movie was 3hrs long so settled in for the long haul.

Straight up, I didn't think the movie was that bad. Certainly not what comments on here would make you think. It wasn't great, but that doesn't mean it was bad. It was Zack Snyder all over. Filling out the story to build up the emotion you experience. There were plenty of scenes where I thought "ok, that wasn't necessary" - but its Snyder. So I expected it.

The action scenes were great. Good CGI. Kept you wanting more. It was interesting how they showed the story from both sides of the coin and how both Batman & Superman had formed these bad opinions of each others work because they went looking for evidence to cement their own conclusion. Without either of them looking at the bigger picture.

My main "annoyance" was the the fight between BM & SM was over in what felt like seconds. Although at the same time, you have a man who is basically a rich detective fighting someone who has the power of a god. So...it couldn't really last long anyway. And again, looking at the bigger picture...screen time was used to introduce Wonder Woman and then they all realising they needed to team up to fight the reincarnation of Zodd.

Although I think I would have preferred if Zodd was not reincarnated, BM & SM resolved their differences in the same way, and then the movie ends. No need for the fight with zombie Zodd and no need to show off WW. But it did make me excited for the WW movie. So I am not complaining too much.

The last half an hour though...my god, I was crawling over the sofa. I already knew Superman wasn't dead, due to the anime "The death of Superman" - he cannot die. But the way it dragged out...dear god.

Anyway, looking forward to the Justice league movie and WW as well. Without the last half an hour, it would have been a good 7.5/10 for me.

-----

John Wick - 7/10

Fancied a silly action movie and had heard good things. Got what I expected. Was good to see Keanu back in action.

Caporegime
Went to see this again tonight, mainly for the credit scenes.

2nd time round it is still enjoyable, I did look at my watch though but not until an hour and 20mins in.

The most impressive thing about the movie is how they got Kurt Russells' young self CGI look almost real! In fact, I would say it passes as real.

It fooled my missus as she said he looked fantastic for his age.

Back
Top Bottom