What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Some massive retconning going on in that movie.
If as we are being led to believe, David invented the Alien as we know it, explain the 1000s of years old ship on LV426 not to mention the Aliens brought to Earth by the Predators and stashed in Antarctica.

The whole David thing really just jarred horribly for me - plus binning off Shaw when we were kinda led to believe we'd follow her story a little more. There is a fan edit of Covenant which, for me at least, helped come to terms with the David story line. Getting from Covenant to Alien is going to be a bit of a task.

Soldato
Joker 9/10
I was surprised to see rotten tomatoes giving it less than 7. I thought it was superb. I was gripped throughout not least because of Phoenix's amazing acting and his interesting look and laugh.

Was a bit like a remake of Taxi Driver in parts with some King Of Comedy thrown in. I liked that this comic book villain was effectively made into a real life character and showed how he evolved into Joker.

Caporegime
The Forever Purge 4/10
I have a soft spot for these films, they're a guilty pleasure of mine but this one is just boring from start to finish.

Jungle Cruise 6/10
I wanted so bad to love this, The Mummy is one of my favourite films and it definitely follows the same blueprint. It starts well but kind of loses it's way and I just found myself waiting for it to end. The cast is fine but the romance is completely unbelievable and it would have been much better without it.

Associate
No Time To Die (2021) - 8/10

A classic Bond movie through and through except for the big reveal and ending which although fitting for a more modern era, doesn’t fit in with the whole genre.

The presentation is stylish with a topical plot for world domination, the villain was great if underused, the girls beautiful, the locations exotic and used well, and the action sequences and fight scenes were exciting and engaging, although none really stood out as spectacular.

The cast were varied with good acting and the high amount of references to the other Bond movies was a nice touch.

I didn’t like how everything was portrayed as being final and by being so traditional in its formula and presentation, it did feel a bit dated overall. The theme song was also unmemorable.

Associate
Kate (2021) - 5/10

A standard female assassin revenge thriller set in modern day Tokyo with a great lead, but a drawn out ending.

There isn’t much of a story or character development, but there’s lots of modern Japanese culture and style and the lead actors are good.

The fight scenes are a bit slow and stilted, but the other action scenes were good.

Soldato
The Guilty - powerful performance from Jake Gyllenhaal makes this film really quite tense. Virtually a one man show about a police call handler with a situation on the other end of the phone. 4/5

Caporegime
Schindler's List. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108052/

I should think most people have seen this but if you haven't, give it a shot. It's very well made indeed.

Superb performances from everyone, really. Neeson and Fiennes are remarkable in this. It's ironic that the Jews were thought of as sub-human by the Germans yet the actions of their captors demonstrate that the roles were actually reversed.

Soldato
The night house 7/10
After all the slightly naff horror films I've seen lately, this one was a breath of fresh air. Decent story, good creepy atmosphere, keeps you on edge and decent performances.

Definitely one of the better ones.

Back
Top Bottom