What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Last Night in Soho 8.9/10

Damn i really liked this.... Its fairly slow burn and straight forward with some "weirdness." but when it comes to the final act
lol.... o!k! lets go! dialing up the bonkers and creepiness.
Is it predictable? Maybe, but i didn't "get it"

Deffo has a cool factor for me being a Londoner, that might have helped a ton....

Dr who was fairly good in it too..

Soldato
Reminiscence (2021)

Starts slow, doesn't really build any tension or pace throughout. Not surprising when it's by the same people who produced the TV show Westworld ( I tried twice to get in to that show)

Reminded me of Minority Report in the way it solves a mystery by using visual memories, just nowhere near as good.

Hugh Jackman's and Rebecca Ferguson's performances were good, just a shame the film was so bang average.

5/10

We actually didn't finish this film and that rarely happens. Total bore fest.

Man of Honour
Wild (2014)

Based on the memoir of Cheryl Strayed. After series of poor life choices and personal tragedies, she decides to walk the Pacific Crest trail thinking it will help her find the real Cheryl.

Reese Witherspoon plays Cheryl and we learn about her life up to beginning the walk in a series of flashbacks and what happened to her along the walk.

Quite enjoyed this one although it never quite hits as hard as you think, based on the subjects covered. Nor does the cinematography blow you away like you'd expect, when you consider the locations they filmed in.

Still, it's definitely worth watching and easy to recommend.

7.5/10

Soldato
Wild (2014)

Based on the memoir of Cheryl Strayed. After series of poor life choices and personal tragedies, she decides to walk the Pacific Crest trail thinking it will help her find the real Cheryl.

Reese Witherspoon plays Cheryl and we learn about her life up to beginning the walk in a series of flashbacks and what happened to her along the walk.

Quite enjoyed this one although it never quite hits as hard as you think, based on the subjects covered. Nor does the cinematography blow you away like you'd expect, when you consider the locations they filmed in.

Still, it's definitely worth watching and easy to recommend.

7.5/10

Your review is spot on - have you seen Into The Wild? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758758/

I watched Wild on the back of ITW hoping for more of the same but didn't deliver as i'd hoped, albeit still being quite good.

Associate
Red Notice (2021) - 6/10

A fun and entertaining heist adventure which ends up being mediocre and could have been punchier.

It has all the right ingredients for a great heist movie and is somewhat funny, but it doesn’t quite have the flair and feels a bit flat at times.

The cast and sequence of events is good, but the plot is nothing special and it gets a bit too silly towards the end.

Caporegime
Shang-Chi

Marvel's house-style meets Chinese-style fight direction and the results are superb. Fights are not only better looking, but better at story telling than previous instalments - you can actually tell what is happening all the time! It looks good, it has strong characters, and there's a lot of humour, without distracting from the plot. Add in just the right amount of whimsy, and a villain who doesn't feel one dimensional, and it's a real winner. Perhaps not quite the heights of Guardians of the Galaxy, but it feels fresh and entertaining. I doubt I'll be revisiting it, but it's a really enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours.

Watch it. 8/10.

Permabanned
Shang-Chi

Marvel's house-style meets Chinese-style fight direction and the results are superb. Fights are not only better looking, but better at story telling than previous instalments - you can actually tell what is happening all the time! It looks good, it has strong characters, and there's a lot of humour, without distracting from the plot. Add in just the right amount of whimsy, and a villain who doesn't feel one dimensional, and it's a real winner. Perhaps not quite the heights of Guardians of the Galaxy, but it feels fresh and entertaining. I doubt I'll be revisiting it, but it's a really enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours.

Watch it. 8/10.

I enjoyed it but felt the first half was superior to the second when some of the action got a bit silly. :)

Soldato
Second viewing of Ghostbusters Afterlife 9/10

Even better the second time round. Spotted a few more details I missed the first time.

I went to see this last night and loved it! So much better than I thought it would be. Now I need to re-watch the first two as it's been years since I've seen them. It was my first time seeing a film in the Odeon iSense as well. I was really impressed with the audio, it just seemed so much clearer than any other screen I've been in, including the IMAX I watched Dune in the other week.

Soldato

Damn i really liked this.... Its fairly slow burn and straight forward with some "weirdness." but when it comes to the final act

Deffo has a cool factor for me being a Londoner, that might have helped a ton....

I really didn't rate this one. Thought it was boring and not creepy in the slightest. Anya Taylor-Joy as good as ever, but the rest (especially the meek love interest) were pretty poor. 3/10 for me.

Associate
Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021) - 9/10

It’s quite slow and a bit off-putting at the start, but the film just gets better and better as it goes along and ends with an epic finale, some great cameos and a fitting tribute.

The story isn’t that deep, but the characters and acting are good as is the setting and the ways they have modernized whilst staying true to the classic.

The special effects are good and there are plenty of great little nostalgic moments throughout, as well as a good sense of humour and a little bit of horror.

Soldato
Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021) - 9/10

It’s quite slow and a bit off-putting at the start, but the film just gets better and better as it goes along and ends with an epic finale, some great cameos and a fitting tribute.

The story isn’t that deep, but the characters and acting are good as is the setting and the ways they have modernized whilst staying true to the classic.

The special effects are good and there are plenty of great little nostalgic moments throughout, as well as a good sense of humour and a little bit of horror.
Phoebe's jokes had me in stitches as they were so bad.

V_R

V_R

Soldato

Just watched it, I liked it, missus loved it, a solid 8.

Soldato
Rocky IV: Rocky Vs. Drago – The Ultimate Director's Cut - 4/10

Saw this today, very disappointed.

Rocky 4 was always my favourite in the series and a directors cut with additional footage sounded great, and if we ever get that it will be great, but this is not that
frown.png

This is a re-edited version of Rocky 4 with additional footage but also with alternate scenes spliced in, scenes cut, etc that change the plot/feel of the film and some of it's characters, and sadly it is not as good as the original.

Some of the silly changes I disliked with the re-editing (spoilers obviously):

Mikhail Gorbachev storms out after Rocky's post fight speech instead of leading a round of applause - This is totally counter to his personality and a pointless change that makes the film worse.

Ludmilla Drago (Ivan's wife) is reedited to remove all scenes of her being visibly/audibly in love with him - I understand this is done to make her character change in Creed II more understandable, but it was better before and the idea that she changed is better than the idea she never loved Ivan or her son.

They removed Pauley's robot from the film - A lot of people see this as silly, and it is, but it is also an example of how money and lifestyle have changed Rocky. Removing it isn't so much of a problem but not replacing it with something that serves the same plot piece is a problem.

Ludmilla Drago no longer nonchalantly smokes as Apollo lies dying (the scene was moved to mid fight) - This is a bad change and doesn't even tie in with above, why make her appear less uncaring when you're trying to make her appear more uncaring...

Ivan Drago's character/story/presence is majorly changed to be less sympathetic, so instead of being a subservient puppet of the USSR who rebels against his masters and breaks free at the end to finally fight for himself only to fall short, he is now arrogant and self obsessed only really fighting for himself and adoration, defying/ignoring his masters for his own ego before turning on them at the end, which obviously makes him less likable.

Soldato
The Handmaiden: 8/10

Korean lesbian drama/love story set under the Japanese occupation. Very well shot, well acted, great script with plenty of intrigue and twists. Surprising amount of nudity.

Dune: 8.5/10
Slow at times and too much low end in the score that literally made my ears hurt at some points. But well acted, especially the lead and the mother. Stunning cinematography, excellent effects, great script and treats the audience as mature and intelligent. Can't wait for the sequel

Soldato
Spider-Man: Far From Home. Watched it again seeing as the third instalment is imminent, but found it a bit of a chore to get through the second time. In fact, the Spidey MCU movies really haven't stood up to repeat viewing unlike some of the other films in the series. It also reminded me why I hated the reverse snap in Endgame. 5/10

Back
Top Bottom