What film did you watch last night?

Associate
watched The Last Duel too.

The way it was shot with the different view points, I was expecting some twists and turns in the tale, but no. She claimed rape, he did rape her, he died for it. Pretty straightforward and drawn out story. I was kind of hoping they would both die, since Sir Jean de Carrouges took a bad cut to the thigh and it was even mentioned he might bleed out, but not only did he not bleed out but had a very slow and triumphant ride through the city after like he was fine! I also think they should have left Jacques Le Gris story till the end as it would heighten the idea that the accusation may be flawed, but no, so i didn't really see the point of the wife's viewpoint, it changed nothing once we saw him raping her.

"First run through you're thinking 'damn, Jacques Le Gris is a rapist?! How does that come about? "

He couldnt keep his bits in his pants! did you miss the orgy scenes :) They were both scumbags from the get go and both deserved to die frankly.

Anyway, big fan of Adam Driver so will watch anything with him in it, just felt it could have been handled better.

Soldato
The Last Duel - 7½/10 (free on Disney+)

It's funny, I was thinking almost the opposite. It's actually a very short event, with some context applied around it, but as you mention it gets lengthened as we see it from different angles. I like stories that do the different angle thing, but I couldn't help thinking they weren't massively different in this case.

First run through you're thinking 'damn, Jacques Le Gris is a rapist?! How does that come about? Second run through you're thinking, 'damn, okay, he is a rapist... I thought it might be something more suspicious' and then third run through you just kinda get more story.

I assume it was based of each persons written accounts of the events, so you're limited as a creator by the facts given to you?

It was a good watch though.
By the time I'd got to the end it was a good film but early on I had my doubts. I watched it with no idea of the plot etc, which is my preferred way of viewing films if possible. It took a good while before it really piqued my interest but by the end I was intrigued to see how it ended.

With it being based on true events does make you think how times and beliefs have change though in a few respects some things have not. (women being seen more as possessions than individuals)

So for me a very solid 7/10.

Soldato
Unhinged - 6.5/10

After a confrontation with an unstable man at an intersection, a woman becomes the target of his rage.

Lessons for today, if you beep at fat Russell Crowe and he asks for an apology, just apologise. :D

A lot more violent and sadistic than I was expecting. Has a frustrating lead who makes silly decisions to push the plot along but kept me on the edge of my seat for 90 minutes.

Commissario
Dances with Wolves - The four hour version.

Utterly epic, I sat in front of the telly and simply didn't notice the time pass. Without a doubt, I think this is one of the finest films made.

10/10, no question.

Soldato
14 Peaks on Netflix - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14079374/

Really enjoyed it!

It's about a Nepali ex- Gurkha and Uk special forces and his Nepalese sherpa team climbing the 14 highest peaks in 6 months.

If you're into mountains, hiking, mountaineering, etc. you should enjoy it.

Yeah i really enjoyed this too. I've been enjoying the recent bout of climbing based films (Dawn Wall, Free Solo, The Alpinist)

Soldato
The Last Duel - 7½/10 (free on Disney+)

It's funny, I was thinking almost the opposite. It's actually a very short event, with some context applied around it, but as you mention it gets lengthened as we see it from different angles. I like stories that do the different angle thing, but I couldn't help thinking they weren't massively different in this case.

First run through you're thinking 'damn, Jacques Le Gris is a rapist?! How does that come about? Second run through you're thinking, 'damn, okay, he is a rapist... I thought it might be something more suspicious' and then third run through you just kinda get more story.

I assume it was based of each persons written accounts of the events, so you're limited as a creator by the facts given to you?

It was a good watch though.

Watched it last night and i agree, the wifes story was mostly irrelevant, other than pointing out she was very capable of running the estate etc on her own. It felt quite drawn out at that point and i was wishing they'd have shortened the movie a bit[/end spoiler]

Man of Honour
“Gangster Squad”, set in L.A. in the late forties, a bunch of untouchable type cops set out to bring down Mickey Cohen, (Sean Penn), who is hell bent on taking over L.A.
It’s so far over the top that it’s laughable, Sean Penn overacts like he’s been taking classes in it, Nick Nolte as L.A. chief of police looked like an overweight zombie, Ryan Gosling played Ryan Gosling having a fun day out, Emma Stone was drop dead gorgeous as Penn’s moll, who slides into Gosling’s bed, surprise surprise.
Everyone, both cops and crooks had guns that you load on Sunday and fire all week.
Giovanni Ribisi, (the medic who was killed in Saving Private Ryan), was the exception, he played a credible cop.
The 1940s cars were the stars of the show, -1 out of 10, give it a wide berth, or watch it for a laugh.

Associate
Venom Let There Be Carnage. The first one was better. This one felt they were trying to make it as better than the first one but forgot to add a decent plot to it.

Associate
The Last Duel on Disney +
Almost switched off halfway through. All i could think about was the scene in Monty Pythons Holy Grail, where John Cleese's character is taunting the knights. The casting was truly awful. Mullets and blonde hair, jesus wept. American actors (except Jodie Comer) portraying the main French characters attempting well spoken English accents. My suspension of disbelief was truly stretched to its limits.
Then i watched Venom Let There Be Carnage. Brain switch off material. Not as good as the first Venom film but mildy enjoyable.

Soldato
King Richard - 7½/10

A very interesting story about the Williams sisters rise to stardom in the tennis world. It's interesting though, as I think was mentioned earlier, Richard himself comes across (to me) as rather a d*ck.

Associate
Went to see Ghostbusters afterlife, and it was good, enjoyed the story and characters were pretty good, good addition to the series. 8/10

Associate
The Platform (french film). Pretty good film. The story-line was good. It will be abit creepy if they did this in real life.

Back
Top Bottom