What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Dora and the Lost City of Gold (2019) - 6/10

Firmly tongue in cheek light hearted family comedy with cute characters and a fun adventure.

The portrayal of Dora as a kind hearted, good natured lead is superb with an infectious personality you can’t help but like, and Boots is comedy gold.

There are some silly moments and flat jokes, but there’s plenty of action and humour to keep you entertained throughout, although the transition into the main plot was poor and the support cast were mostly annoying stereotypes.

A bit too long towards the end, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Caporegime
My wife and I decided that New Year's Adam was the perfect day for a Lord of the Rings movie marathon.

Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy Still 10/10

Twenty years later they still look fantastic, almost all of the effects stand up as well as they did the day they were released, the music is incredible, and the films remain a fantastic example of both epic cinema and a book adaptation done well both rated on its own terms and compared to the source material - pretty much the opposite of the Hobbit movies. The Two Towers is probably the weakest of the three, largely because the botched handling of Faramir remains the worst deviation from the books, and because the Extended edition (which we didn't watch because the Theatrical was free on Amazon Prime in HD) contains some important missing parts.

Still wish he'd included the Scourging of the Shire.

Associate
My wife and I decided that New Year's Adam was the perfect day for a Lord of the Rings movie marathon.

Twenty years later they still look fantastic, almost all of the effects stand up as well as they did the day they were released, the music is incredible, and the films remain a fantastic example of both epic cinema and a book adaptation done well both rated on its own terms and compared to the source material - pretty much the opposite of the Hobbit movies. The Two Towers is probably the weakest of the three, largely because the botched handling of Faramir remains the worst deviation from the books, and because the Extended edition (which we didn't watch because the Theatrical was free on Amazon Prime in HD) contains some important missing parts.

Still wish he'd included the Scourging of the Shire.

Quality trilogy indeed, need to watch them myself again !!

Soldato

I've also been watching the Hobbit & Lord of the Rings movies all this week. Only Return of the King to go and quite agree these films are still epic. I started with The Hobbit trilogy, which I thoroughly enjoyed - even though they deviate quite considerably in places from the books. The LotR trilogy is another level though. Definitely a 10/10 from me too.

Associate
Don't Look Up (2021) - 8/10

A dark satirical comedy with some great performances from the A list cast and plenty of subtle humour.

It’s an interesting take on the idea and well told, but goes on for a bit too long and doesn’t really say as much as it could have.

Man of Honour
In the Line of Fire

Clint Eastwood in a ‘retirement age’ FBI agent yarn. Quite dated as his treatment of the lead actress wouldn’t fly now, but on the whole more watchable than it sounds, if you want an easy watch thriller and can live without it being fresh or surprising.

7/10

Soldato
The Matrix Resurrections (2021) - 6/10

Quite enjoyed it, aside the last 20 minutes or so.

Thousands of people after them and they're getting through just fine on their motorbike?! Seemed a little OTT for me.

Soldato
Dead Presidents.

Was alright, but everything felt a bit rushed, and there wasn't a clear message or moral resolution.

The face paint was ******* awesome though!

I though that the Vietnam scenes were just as visceral as the later Saving Private Ryan stuff but it seemed to be mostly ignored when it first came out. However for me, it was seeing the guys life when they got back home post-Vietnam which really hit the hardest, with the lead actor seeing the wreckage of his once tight-knit team after it'd been pulled apart by drugs, post-Vietnam society and '70's racism.

It's not a happy story by any means and in places it's really hard watching (a bit like the directors previous, more popular film Menace to Society) but it "feels" real enough to be more entertaining than the reviews of the time give it credit for.

Associate
Extinction (2018) - 5/10

What starts off as a cliché alien invasion film ends up as a smart if unoriginal sci-fi story.

The plot only lightly touches on its ideas, favoring the family’s struggle to survive instead, but there’s plenty of action scenes and the special effects are effective, even if the invaders themselves are a bit cheap.

The acting’s ok and as simple entertainment it’s good, although it never excels.

Soldato
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - 9/10

Purchased it off iTunes to watch on my AppleTV4k. I wasn't sure what to expect as I'm not the biggest MCU fan and all this multiverse lark but I do love Sony's Spider-Man.

Absolutely glorious visuals and comic/3D style. Even the missus sat down to watch bits! One hell of a story with a lot going on and it still manages to pull this off whilst not deviating from things. I think they went OTT with one big bads looks, but having said that I can't wait for the next one!

Back
Top Bottom