What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Ghostbusters: Afterlife. Better than the 2016 one. Felt like i was watching a movie version of stranger things. The puns could be better and the plot was meh. Other than that they included some of
the old cast members
which is a plus.

Soldato
6 Underground - half way through and so far 4/10.

So many action cut scenes in a few frames, tons of slow mo 'cool' pouting and walking and some garbage lines.

Not impressed so far.

5/10 overall, should have noticed it was a Michael Bay movie!

Liked the fact we see bodies impacted by car crashes etc, made it look realistic. But the overall movie? Meh.

Last edited:
Soldato
Finally got around to watching The Eternals.

Oh dear. Oh dear. Oh dear. What have I just watched. You know a film is bad when you spend half the film distracted by your phone rather than engrossed in the story (of which it had none)

A solid well earned 3/10 from me, it had good CGI and Gemma Chan is pretty tasty.

Soldato
Ghostbusters Afterlife - 6.5/10 - had some heart to it, didn't feel like a worthless cash grab, kids were mostly not too annoying, still can't warm to Rudd, effects weren't too bad, chuckled a bunch of times. Might watch again in a decade.

Soldato
Finally got around to watching The Eternals.

Oh dear. Oh dear. Oh dear. What have I just watched. You know a film is bad when you spend half the film distracted by your phone rather than engrossed in the story (of which it had none)

A solid well earned 3/10 from me, it had good CGI and Gemma Chan is pretty tasty.

I hope they do a directors cut where they sort the order out to make it watchable - montage of “the past” stuff at the start and then present day for the rest of the film.

I did like the Celestials and Gemma Chan though.

Soldato
I hope they do a directors cut where they sort the order out to make it watchable - montage of “the past” stuff at the start and then present day for the rest of the film.

I did like the Celestials and Gemma Chan though.

Like the Snyder cut of Justice League, turned a "meh"" film into something that was actually good and despite being over 4 hours long that time flew by because I was genuinely engrossed in the film and its story.

Soldato
Like the Snyder cut of Justice League, turned a "meh"" film into something that was actually good and despite being over 4 hours long that time flew by because I was genuinely engrossed in the film and its story.

Actually found the Snyder Cut to be rather a bore fest; didn't improve the film for me at all. That said I didn't rate the cinema version either or many other recent DC films, and the last few offerings from Marvel have also been less than fantastic (haven't seen Spider-Man yet).

Associate
The Last Mercenary (2021) - 4/10

Farcical and silly but rarely funny, it was weirdly entertaining and although it was never boring, I’m not sure if it was any good or not.

The plot is nonsense and the characters were a weird bunch, but the Scarface mimic and goofy lead were good.

Van Damme may still be flexible, but he definitely looks past it and the action suffers for it, with lots of slapstick and dodgy editing in the fights.

Soldato
The Many Saints of Newark - 4/10

Having just finished watching The Sopranos after about 10 years since the first time round and saving watching this prequel until after having done so, all I can say is… what the **** was that?

Completely pointless exercise. Rubbish film even if it wasn’t tied to The Sopranos. David Chase should hang his head in shame. Added sod all to just about anything. Urgh.

Associate
The Little Things (2021)
IMDB - Deke (Denzel Washington), a burnt-out Kern County, CA deputy sheriff teams up with Baxter (Rami Malek), a crack LASD detective, to nab a serial killer. Deke's nose for the "little things" proves eerily accurate, but his willingness to circumvent the rules embroils Baxter in a soul-shattering dilemma. Meanwhile, Deke must wrestle with a dark secret from his past.

Denzel steals every scene he's in, Rami Malek on the other hand; I've seen more acting range in a plank. Jared leto plays himself...sorry, a unhinged possible serial killer. I wanted this film to ramp up but it never does. A 6/10 from me, 5.9 of the 6 was for Denzel's performance.

Caporegime
The Eternals.

I actually quite liked it. I think my expectations were so low that it was much better than I thought it would be.

The opening text made me think it would be **** as well, confusing fantasy guff names and all that.

So we're we supposed to feel sorry for this or not? Towards the end I didn't want Angelina Jolie to kill it as it wasn't evil, it was evolving.

Weird that they referenced both Batman AND Superman by name as well.

I'd give it a 7/10

Associate
The Guilty (2021) - 6/10

The stress and drama of being a 911 operator who oversteps his boundaries and makes it personal.

Great performance from Gyllenhaal as the singular star and the story has some tension, but his personal dramas seem to overshadow the more real challenges of the job.

The ending is pretty hard hitting and emotional and his anguish really shows.

Soldato
I had a night to myself and recently bought Predator 4K. Seems to be well regarded as an excellent 4K transfer.

Imagine my disappointment when I realise I'd actually bought The Predator 4K. :(

I watched it once before and didn't like it at all. I had nothing else to do and as I'd bought the thing, I may as well watch it.

I have to say, I didn't hate it on my second watch.

A "if ya squint, she's mint" 5/10.

Back
Top Bottom