What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Scream (2022) - 4/10

Yet another film that feels as though it needs to tie back to the original and also be something new, creating something that’s a bit of a parody, a bit of a remake and a bit of a sequel.

It’s functional as a slasher movie with plenty of gore, a few jumps and an iconic killer, but it just didn’t click for me.

The acting was hit and miss, the ending reveal and explanation goes on for too long, and overall, it was a little bit boring,

Soldato
Scream (2022) - 4/10

Yet another film that feels as though it needs to tie back to the original and also be something new, creating something that’s a bit of a parody, a bit of a remake and a bit of a sequel.

It’s functional as a slasher movie with plenty of gore, a few jumps and an iconic killer, but it just didn’t click for me.

The acting was hit and miss, the ending reveal and explanation goes on for too long, and overall, it was a little bit boring,

Really? I loved it lol. The bit of a remake and the sequel was the whole point to be fair.

As for the acting i agree with one of the killers...for sure especially at the end. Bit cringey.

Associate
Last looks. The plot was pretty linear; make a problem, figure it out the problem, add a few twists and problem fixed. The first hour of the film was abit of a drag, the plot starts after that. Overall i found it was meh.

Associate
The Many Saints of Newark - 4/10

Having just finished watching The Sopranos after about 10 years since the first time round and saving watching this prequel until after having done so, all I can say is… what the **** was that?

Completely pointless exercise. Rubbish film even if it wasn’t tied to The Sopranos. David Chase should hang his head in shame. Added sod all to just about anything. Urgh.

Watched it last year and enjoyed it for what it was....stand alone prequal story of Dickie Moltisanti.

Aiming too re-watch it soon (also just finishing the final season of the sopranos again with the benefit of the companion talking sopranos podcast )

Associate
The Eternals.

I actually quite liked it. I think my expectations were so low that it was much better than I thought it would be.

The opening text made me think it would be **** as well, confusing fantasy guff names and all that.

So we're we supposed to feel sorry for this or not? Towards the end I didn't want Angelina Jolie to kill it as it wasn't evil, it was evolving.

Weird that they referenced both Batman AND Superman by name as well.

I'd give it a 7/10

My thought too, and unknown on the spoiler question.
The way they built them up just to be terminated made me wonder if they would be returning somehow?

Very right on with ticking all the diversity boxes but tbh wasn't as massively in your face as it could have been. Ok Phastos is in a same sex relationship. I was about as unrevelatory as any other relationship (as it should) but in a Marvel universe felt like a big step.
Agree on the score too. Long film but say through the whole lot in one go.

Caporegime
I just watched Eternals as well 6/10

Apart from being too long by at least 30 mins, very disjointed in parts and too much focus on stuff that needed 10s to explain rather than 5 mins....
I thought it was interesting enough and i liked most of the characters at least, yeah diversity quotas are met but fine whatever....
Excellent premise but badly executed. The tone was all over the place, from deadly serious to gags in seconds, weird.
Marvel has to rethink this nonsense and stick to great directors and established big actor characters.

Caporegime
I just watched Eternals as well 6/10

Apart from being too long by at least 30 mins, very disjointed in parts and too much focus on stuff that needed 10s to explain rather than 5 mins....
I thought it was interesting enough and i liked most of the characters at least, yeah diversity quotas are met but fine whatever....
Excellent premise but badly executed. The tone was all over the place, from deadly serious to gags in seconds, weird.
Marvel has to rethink this nonsense and stick to great directors and established big actor characters.

Tbf, the 2 main comic runs were disjointed too, so you could say they nailed that aspect ;)

End credit was a nice set up though (mid credit was alright)

Associate
Love all the mythology of Moby Dick, battling with Giant Squids and all the stories of sea monsters etc. So I watched In the Heart of the Sea (2015) 6/10

The incident that inspired the book Moby Dick. A true story of a white Sperm Whale which sunk a whale ship the 'Essex'. :eek: (Good on it I say!)

Whales were virtually hunted from the face of the earth, only when oil was discovered in the ground, gave them the chance to recover. Sadly current day whaling for research pee's me off no end and so unnecessary. :mad:

A brilliant story, only the film, whilst not bad, CGI is a bit ropey, sorely missing the suspense element and true menace as seen in the original Jaws film. The original film 'Moby Dick' (1956) starring Gregory Peck surpasses as it has haunting edge, and the better film for it.

In the Heart of the Sea is not a bad film, but a missed opportunity, it needed more punch.

Soldato
Eternals - not utterly awful, until the end credits where:

Harry Styles turned up as Thanos' brother!?!?! Seriously? I know he's done a couple of acting gigs now but I can't think of anyone I'd want to watch less in a Marvel movie than Harry ****ing Styles!

Soldato
The Father 8/10

Very interesting. I've not seen anything like it before. Hopkins and Colman do a very good job and I was very impressed with Mark Gatiss and the role he played.

Soldato
Love all the mythology of Moby Dick, battling with Giant Squids and all the stories of sea monsters etc. So I watched In the Heart of the Sea (2015) 6/10

The incident that inspired the book Moby Dick. A true story of a white Sperm Whale which sunk a whale ship the 'Essex'. :eek: (Good on it I say!)

Whales were virtually hunted from the face of the earth, only when oil was discovered in the ground, gave them the chance to recover. Sadly current day whaling for research pee's me off no end and so unnecessary. :mad:

A brilliant story, only the film, whilst not bad, CGI is a bit ropey, sorely missing the suspense element and true menace as seen in the original Jaws film. The original film 'Moby Dick' (1956) starring Gregory Peck surpasses as it has haunting edge, and the better film for it.

In the Heart of the Sea is not a bad film, but a missed opportunity, it needed more punch.

I recommend the book the film is based on if you haven't read it. Same title, and the author is Nathaniel Philbrick.

Soldato
Eternals - not utterly awful, until the end credits where:

Harry Styles turned up as Thanos' brother!?!?! Seriously? I know he's done a couple of acting gigs now but I can't think of anyone I'd want to watch less in a Marvel movie than Harry ****ing Styles!
Given the personality of the character he’ll be playing, it’s probably quite fitting :cry:

Back
Top Bottom