What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Fincher definitely did as good a job as the Swedish original, wish he'd done the whole trilogy as the sequels were lacking in the Swedish versions and wonder if he could have improved on them.

Not going to talk about Spiders web, so very bad.

Caporegime
Resident Evil: It has a subtitle that I can't remember 4/10

Oof. The Anderson ones are a guilty pleasure of mine but this was somehow worse. The cast seemed good but very poorly utilised, the story was meh. It was very game accurate but then that necessarily a good thing. The effects look like a art student's homework and there are about 5 more characters than there need to be. A tighter story focussing on just a few characters could have been better. I wish people would stop trying to adapt the early resident evil's, they don't suit films at all. I wish someone would take a shot at Resident Evil 7 and Village because that could be good.

Soldato
I switched it off after 40 minutes, seen it all before but your mileage may vary.
I enjoyed it though if you’re not into the gore then it’s not for everyone.

Love horror of all shapes and sizes, just a few of the moments in the trailer like 'you're cancelled' and so on, left a bad impression.

If it's violent and over the top gore, i'm in :D

I just don't want sanitised horror like the Candyman reboot, great story and premise, just skimped on the money shots.

Associate
Resident Evil: It has a subtitle that I can't remember 4/10

Oof. The Anderson ones are a guilty pleasure of mine but this was somehow worse. The cast seemed good but very poorly utilised, the story was meh. It was very game accurate but then that necessarily a good thing. The effects look like a art student's homework and there are about 5 more characters than there need to be. A tighter story focussing on just a few characters could have been better. I wish people would stop trying to adapt the early resident evil's, they don't suit films at all. I wish someone would take a shot at Resident Evil 7 and Village because that could be good.

Or keep it like the cgi/animated ones, those were really good.

Soldato
The Phantom Menace. 7/10

Full disclosure; I don't really care about Star Wars. I've watched the newer ones in the cinema (Rogue One is a fantastic film in and of itself. Let alone the best Star Wars film I've seen) and I saw TPM when I was a kid but beyond that, I don't really care for the franchise other than as standalone films. Having watched Mandalorian and Boba Fett recently I decided I was going to watch all the films in the correct order as currently my Star Wars knowledge is all based from Robot Chicken and the family guy specials.

I actually enjoyed that much more than I thought I would and already something that happened in one of the later episodes of Boba Fett suddenly made more sense.

The pod racing bit brought back memories of the pod racing game I had on PC back around the time this game came out. I can remember thinking Jar Jar Binks was a amusing character but I can now see why he is hated so much. Every time he was on the screen I was just hoping someone would kill him. I understand that's the last of him for the rest of the movies and that's reassuring

I had a moment about 2/3 of the way through where it clicked why the film was called The Phantom Menace. I always thought that was Darth Maul's alias but it clicked that Palpatine was TPM. Felt a bit stupid when I realised that!

1 film down. 10 more to go!

Associate
The King's Man. The original one was ok but this one seems like they are pushing it into another direction, it feels like they are trying to stretch the franchise as much as possible. The film was enjoyable but the plot was meh.

Associate
The Phantom Menace. 7/10

Full disclosure; I don't really care about Star Wars. I've watched the newer ones in the cinema (Rogue One is a fantastic film in and of itself. Let alone the best Star Wars film I've seen) and I saw TPM when I was a kid but beyond that, I don't really care for the franchise other than as standalone films. Having watched Mandalorian and Boba Fett recently I decided I was going to watch all the films in the correct order as currently my Star Wars knowledge is all based from Robot Chicken and the family guy specials.

I actually enjoyed that much more than I thought I would and already something that happened in one of the later episodes of Boba Fett suddenly made more sense.

The pod racing bit brought back memories of the pod racing game I had on PC back around the time this game came out. I can remember thinking Jar Jar Binks was a amusing character but I can now see why he is hated so much. Every time he was on the screen I was just hoping someone would kill him. I understand that's the last of him for the rest of the movies and that's reassuring

I had a moment about 2/3 of the way through where it clicked why the film was called The Phantom Menace. I always thought that was Darth Maul's alias but it clicked that Palpatine was TPM. Felt a bit stupid when I realised that!

1 film down. 10 more to go!

TPM has nothing to do with an individual. The “menace” was the trade blockade and invasion of Naboo. It was all orchestrated by Senator Palpatine/Sidious as part of a fabricated emergency that would create a rift in the Senate to enable him to rise to power with a mandate to fight the “menace” as a perceived victim who reluctantly assumes power.

As we were to later learn, he arranged for the creation of the clone military force in order to fight the “menace” all in a long strategy to have access to a standing army while decommissioning all battle droids. It was “phantom” because all along, the menace wasn't a real one, it was predicated on a deal he made with the Trade Federation.

Soldato
The rescue 8.5/10
Documentary film about the Thai underwater cave rescue of 12 kids. This really is a must watch. And no mention of that moron Musk :p

The Rescue - 9/10

Incredible story of the rescue of the Thai boys from flooded caves. Thoroughly worth a watch.

I think I'd go 8.5/10 too, but it's more about just how incredible the story is, rather than how good a documentary is... or is that the same thing? I found myself wanting a reminder of the Musk thing, or at least who he'd said it about. It is almost funny Musk sent a mini submarine over there though :cry:

Caporegime
I think I'll give that doc mentioned above about the underwater cave rescue a whirl later.

@SixTwoSix Bit of a question out of the blue but your previous signature was something about getting older and allowing the good things that matter to you to remain (some saying, I assume).

I don't suppose you have it to hand? Cheers. :)

Back
Top Bottom