What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
The French Dispatch (of the Liberty, Kansas Evening Sun) - a really Wes Anderson film! Three short films based around stories reported by journalists working in France at some time after WWII. The first one is sublime, second and third not so good but the bits between are good fun. The usual cast enjoy themselves. If you are new to Was Anderson I'd recommend building up yo this by watching some of his older films but if you are a fan then go for it! 4/5 but mainly fir the first story.

Consigliere
Uncharted
6/10

Just about gets a 6 due to the CGI. I mean...it was ok and easy to watch but all a bit predictable. Some of the casting is also off. I don't mind Tom Holland though.

Soldato
Licorice Pizza - 6/10

I enjoyed it, but didn't love it. There were a few pivots in the plot that I didnt really understand. Things just seemed to go off on a tangent suddenly. Worth a go, though.

Associate
Miss Sloane - 9/10

Really enjoyed it. Political dramas aren't exactly my thing but this had me hooked the whole time. Great performance from the lead, Jessica Chastain.

Soldato
@SixTwoSix Bit of a question out of the blue but your previous signature was something about getting older and allowing the good things that matter to you to remain (some saying, I assume).

I don't suppose you have it to hand? Cheers. :)

Sure thing...

"Growing older was a falling away of everything that didn't matter. And a deepening appreciation of all the parts that were important enough to stay

It's from book 8 of The Expanse, there are some extremely memorable quotes and fantastic writing throughout the whole series. Current quote is from near the end of book 9.

Soldato
The King's Man - 5½ / 10

Thought it was pretty poorly written.

The whole scarf giving away the exact location was a bit silly and what seemed their best warrior was their lift operator?

**EDIT** This popped up in my News feed this morning and was quite an interesting read about all the real events that they depicted in the movie. It gives a little more credit to the film, but also then makes me wonder what they included so much real events and so much that was so far from real...

Last edited:
Soldato
Scream (2022) - 7/10

After the mess they made of Candyman, Halloween Kills, Childs Play reboots/sequels/requels over the last couple of years, I went into this tentatively.

I actually really enjoyed it, more visual gore and violence in opening 10 minutes than entirety of new Candyman, keeps the spirit of the original scream and some decent meta stuff, there are some silly moments but not a bad movie at all. A few kills are gloriously violent and sadistic and one kill in particular had some emotional weight behind it.

I had guessed the killer a few times but changed my mind as it throws a lot of red herrings out.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2022) - 4/10

These movies have never had the most plausible storylines but this one really pushes it, no one acts with an ounce of common sense and you sort of feel like they all deserve what's coming. At least in 2003 version, you were actually rooting for them to get out and survive. The kills are gratuitous and satisfying at least. Also you've got a 70+ year old running around with a heavy chainsaw and no one can take him down, even point blank with a shotgun, argh!!!

Soldato
The King's Man - 5½ / 10

Thought it was pretty poorly written.

Watched this on Saturday, think it suffered by not having the fun or comic relief of the original Kingsman movies, there was an attempt at comedy but against a mostly serious and dour backdrop, didn't really work.

Also 'that' moment in the trenches really took me by surprise - again, deadly serious actions in a series of movies known for it's light heartedness.

Caporegime
The Power of the Dog

This felt like a film I could tell was well made but just wasn't to my taste. It's well acted, and beautifully shot, but I just didn't find either the plot or the characters engaging. Moody films in which everyone is sad and/or unpleasant just don't do it for me.

Not my cup of tea 5/10.

Soldato
The Clone Wars. 7/10. Enjoyed it more due to the reduction in Jar Jar Binks. Some lines in Boba Fett now make more sense and it was nice seeing the same guy from the TV series play Jango Fett.

Revenge of The Sith 7/10. Some nice little light-sabre battles abs enjoyed watching Palpatine's face turn into a cold testicle.

Something that bugs me about Star Wars are the amount of races that don't talk 'English' yet the main characters can understand them and talk back in English but the other character only speaks in whatever language they deal in. Always bothers me

Soldato
Minamata - 6.5/10

Based on a true story, Johnny Depp is a war photographer that comes out of retirement to document the plight of some Japanese coastal communities devasted by the effects of mercury poisoning from industrial pollution.

Good film overall, dragged slightly in the middle but Depp managed to put in a decent performance and the story is quite moving.

Watched it on Amazon, but it said it was IMDb TV? When did this start happening as the main thing that put me off the film was the constant interruption of adverts! And just like the American ones, there was no segue, just boom, advert - even in the middle of a characters sentence! Totally broke the tension and atmosphere multiple times :mad:

Soldato
Get Out - supposedly a horror/thriller.....wasnt really a horror but it was quite good even if its all been done before.
Err, if you think it's all been done before I suspect you may have missed some of the subtext :p

Old Henry

Cracking western, Tim Blake Nelson as lead ... no oscar nomination? Will be totally overshadowed by The Power of the Dog no doubt (not seen it but suspect I will be agreeing with @Mr Jack )
9/10
Thanks for the heads up, didn't know anything about this one. Will give it a whirl.

Back
Top Bottom