What film did you watch last night?

Commissario
I watched Fast Times at Ridgemont High yesterday, I'd probably give it a 7/10

It's one of those fun, nostalgic* semi serious comedies from the 80's, lots of faces that vary from "I recognise them" to "I'm sure I know who that is", and it feels quite "real" in that nothing massively outlandish happens, but is instead about the characters and their lives.
The extras are worth watching/listening to (at least on my 2011 blu-ray, I'm not sure if the newer criterion release has them**), with some fun stories including one about Forest Whiticker.
I didn't realise it was based on a book by the same writer who did Almost Famous (which I watched not too long ago), but it explains why it has the same sort of vibe. I was actually quite disappointed that the book doesn't appear to be available, and had never even heard about the short lived TV series based on it.

*I don't know quite why, possibly 40 years of watching American films and TV with their 80's era shopping malls, but I tend to feel a little nostalgic for something I never experienced in person watching some of the films largely set in and around American malls :)

**I'm now wondering if the criterion is worth an upgrade at some point...

fez

fez

Caporegime
I'm just talking about the ambient sound/music that often accompanied scenes, or maybe it was between scenes. Not any actual track.

They did what a lot of films do and pick a very obvious melody to remix throughout the film. In this instance it was "something in the way" by Nirvana. It played in various iterations throughout the film as moon music.

Soldato
The Northman, not quite what i was expecting at all, tbf the trailer didnt hide that, i think my expectations for the film had more parallels with the likes of Vikings and The Last Kingdom vs what it was.
kinda reminded me of a Macbeth film i once watched in school, certainly had a Shakespearean feel to it.

One of the better films i've watched of late!
I think that why it's getting such a marmite response as it's just a Shakespearen theme in a different wrapper and Shakespeare isn't for everyone!

Soldato
Escape from new york. classic action through and through this one and still holds itself pretty well.

The Northman, not quite what i was expecting at all, tbf the trailer didnt hide that, i think my expectations for the film had more parallels with the likes of Vikings and The Last Kingdom vs what it was.
kinda reminded me of a Macbeth film i once watched in school, certainly had a Shakespearean feel to it.

One of the better films i've watched of late!

I didn't enjoy Northman very much at all. Totally overhyped (by myself) and thoroughly let down. 5/10.

Don
Uncharted - 8/10

Wasn't expecting too much to be honest - having played all the Playstation games, the casting of both Holland and Wahlberg seemed completely out of place.

However, having watched it last night with the kids, it's an enjoyable action/adventure flick that doesn't take itself too seriously. The casting does actually seem to work, with some genuinely funny moments, and some reasonable interaction between the two of them.

The action sequences are great (and whilst completely over the top), true to the sort of situations within the playstation games, from which the plot takes quite a bit of inspiration (and is arguably all the better for).

All in all, a decent enough movie and I look forward to the inevitable sequel.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Casper the friendly ghost...

I know I know, your all thinking why are you watching a kids film, but man, it's a blast from the past when films where good like the Goonies, Home alone, Honey I shrunk the kids, etc and I always had a huge crush on Christina Ricci.
Plus, it's actually a really good film, story is funny, sets are classic universal studios and the cgi isn't all that bad, it's enough and holds up.

Nothing like some member berries. This should hit the heart strings if your in your late 30s.
I remember having that on tape as a kid. Don't member anything about the movie though. May have to watch it again some day :)

I remember that melody, though I thought it was from somewhere else.

Associate
Shamelessly stolen from another forum but as I spend most of my time on Overclockers thought I would see if it gets going on here, unfortunately this isn't the most popular board but heres hoping. I'll start.

Last night I watched The Incredible Hulk on Blu-Ray. I enjoyed, good mix of story, action, comedy etc very much a hollywood film but they cut a lot of the fluff and made it very streamlined and entertaining. It won't go down as a classic but definately an enjoyable experience. On the Blu-Ray side, picture is fantastic and the sound definately gets you immersed in the action scenes, notably the Hulk roar when he smashes out of the glass overpass and when he slaps his hands to put out the fire, had my mate and I smiling :)

So, what did you watch last night? (And feel free to give opinions).
We watched the new Fire Starter. Nowhere as good as the original,a bit all over the place but ok for a Sat. night movie I guess.

Soldato
Uncharted - 8/10

Wasn't expecting too much to be honest - having played all the Playstation games, the casting of both Holland and Wahlberg seemed completely out of place.

However, having watched it last night with the kids, it's an enjoyable action/adventure flick that doesn't take itself too seriously. The casting does actually seem to work, with some genuinely funny moments, and some reasonable interaction between the two of them.

The action sequences are great (and whilst completely over the top), true to the sort of situations within the playstation games, from which the plot takes quite a bit of inspiration (and is arguably all the better for).

All in all, a decent enough movie and I look forward to the inevitable sequel.

They dont make enough of these movies, my kids love them. Have you seen Dora? Highly recommend. Finding Ohana aswell.

Watched the lost city last night. Bit too much of Tatums arse like but enjoyable. 7/10

Associate
Night Teeth (2021) - 4/10

A well-trodden premise consisting of a showcase of how the super wealthy elite live with a fantasy twist in a modern setting for the ‘Uber’ generation.

It shows creativity initially, but doesn’t do anything interesting with the story and lacks tension and intrigue.

The lead is likeable, LA is very stylish and the multicultural cast hints at deeper meanings, but it’s too slow and dull overall.

Permabanned
The Lookout 2007, I would give it maybe 6.5/10
It wasn't amazing it wasn't trash, I spent most of it trying to think of other movies made in the same style but failed to come up with one.
It did make me think of Wanda Vision though in that he was the guy that messed up but in the end he was shown as the victim getting over the consequences of his actions,

Back
Top Bottom