What film did you watch last night?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Good luck to you Leo Grande

Emma Thompson is the main reason I watched this because she is a damn good actor and pretty much every character she plays is always superb. Her delivery and expressions in this are next level. Such a complex character but she does it with ease. One of my all time fav actors for sure.

Caporegime
Spiderhead

Coming from the screenwriting duo behind Zombieland and Deadpool, I had high hopes for this one, but it's simply not in the same league. Despite using one of the laziest tropes in cinema - oh look evil scientists are experimenting on people, gosh how original :rolleyes: - it's an interesting film that explores some complex topics with surprising delicacy, and has an understated menace throughout. There's some good characters and it has a nice tight aesthetic. It's a sensible length, at about an hour and three quarters, and keeps the interest up throughout. But I think it sits somewhat uncomfortably between two stools, like it isn't sure whether it's black comedy (for which it is nowhere near funny enough) or psychological horror (for which it is simply too light), and ends up being merely an enjoyable movie rather than anything that really stands out.

A watchable 7/10.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good luck to you Leo Grande

Emma Thompson is the main reason I watched this because she is a damn good actor and pretty much every character she plays is always superb. Her delivery and expressions in this are next level. Such a complex character but she does it with ease. One of my all time fav actors for sure.

The only screening of this at my cinema is a weekday at about 13:30, so I'm unlikely to catch it until it gets to some other release source, but was interested in watching it.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It is a great film, just two people and dialogue - Reminded me of the kind of back and forth between Julie Delpie and Ethan Hawke in the Before Sunrise series of movies from the 90s (also worth watching).

Associate
Jurassic World: Dominion (2022) - 4/10

Yet more dinosaurs in a specially designed area get loose and cause havoc for the humans, but this time, there’s a dual plot approach about averting ecological disaster.

The chase scene was great if a bit silly and the dinosaurs looked good as did the variety of settings they were in, but the whole film was a jumble of illogical action, terrible writing and bad dialogue.

The re-introduction of old characters was a waste, the final escape was a bit of a farce and although there were some really good moments in there, they were outweighed by so many silly or poor design choices.

Entertaining enough, but it never came close to matching the magic of the original.

Last edited:
Associate
So I’m currently watching Blade Runner on Amazon Prime, who the **** thought it was a good idea to put Deckard voice over in the movie? This is the first time I’ve watched it on this platform but may well be the 20th time ever watching the movie in total, yet the first time ever encountering these VOs. Im only 30 minutes into the movie and it completely wrecks the atmosphere in the parts it’s been placed and feels completely unnecessary.

Soldato
So I’m currently watching Blade Runner on Amazon Prime, who the **** thought it was a good idea to put Deckard voice over in the movie? This is the first time I’ve watched it on this platform but may well be the 20th time ever watching the movie in total, yet the first time ever encountering these VOs. Im only 30 minutes into the movie and it completely wrecks the atmosphere in the parts it’s been placed and feels completely unnecessary.

You are watching the theatrical version. The studio interfered and forced Ridley Scott to add a voice over, which Harrison Ford hated so much that he did it deliberately badly in the hope it wouldn't be used. The studio execs thought they knew best and used it anyway.

You've must have previously watched the Director's Cut or Final Cut, which does not have the voice over and a darker and more ambiguous ending, along with a couple of small extra scenes.

Associate
You are watching the theatrical version. The studio interfered and forced Ridley Scott to add a voice over, which Harrison Ford hated so much that he did it deliberately badly in the hope it wouldn't be used. The studio execs thought they knew best and used it anyway.

You've must have previously watched the Director's Cut or Final Cut, which does not have the voice over and a darker and more ambiguous ending, along with a couple of small extra scenes.
Well, you learn something new every day. I’m glad that Ridley and Harrison knew better and the VO was cut, Amazon need to mention it’s the theatrical version though, I won’t be watching this version again, that’s for sure.

Soldato
Well, you learn something new every day. I’m glad that Ridley and Harrison knew better and the VO was cut, Amazon need to mention it’s the theatrical version though, I won’t be watching this version again, that’s for sure.

It went into theatres like that and that's how everyone (including myself) originally saw it. The film's box office performance was pretty lacklustre, but it became a cult classic and the later versions came out with VHS and DVD releases that removed the voice over.

Associate
Seized. One of Scott Adkins lesser known films. Surprisingly bad given it's directed by Issac (Undisputed 3) Florintine.
It feels rushed, just like Florintines last few films actually. I hate to say it, but Adkins could do with being in a really good film right about now.

Soldato
Beavis and Butthead do the Universe - for fans 8/10, for everyone else 3/10 - I've been a huge fan since the MTV days nearly 30 years ago and was never expecting this movie to happen! It follows a very similar arc to the original film i.e "a miscommunication leads B&B into unforeseen shenanigans while they remain oblivious to the carnage they cause" and, like the original within 5 minutes I was laughing so hard I was struggling to breathe. The pace does die off around the middle third but overall, as a fan, it was really enjoyable and I'll definitely watch it again.

For those who aren't diehard fans the animation is basic, the story in fanciful at best, the music is OK but the 2 leads characters are just so unlikeably dumb I can see it getting frustrating to watch.

The Man From Toronto - 2/10 -
I like both Hart and Harrelson but this a massive dud. Harts schtick doesn't work and Harrelson is very clearly walking through this for a pay day and nothing else. Even a Kaley Cuoco cameo can't save this.

Back
Top Bottom