What happened to ecoboost?

Man of Honour
Even the most efficient small engined diesel hatchbacks only achieve around 50mpg on average when driven in normal conditions.

I recently did about 2500 miles in a large automatic executive saloon and averaged just over 50mpg. Several tanks were almost 60mpg.

I'd expect a diesel hatch to have been more efficient, so therefore I suspect you are wrong.

Soldato
What exactly do you define as "normal conditions"?

My A3 can get between 60-70 mpg in what i define as "normal conditions" - i.e. the usage pattern that i most frequently use the car for.
City driving or shortish journeys to work and shopping is what I define as normal usage for most people that do say sub 10k miles per year and don't go on motorways much. Thats your average driver that buys run of the mill 100-140bhp diesel hatchbacks that are driven harder in the real world therefore normally not returning manufacturers quotes.
In terms of Guys in work and friends with diesels none of them get near the quoted figures. There's one who's 5 year old diesel Mondeo averages about 42mpg.

Man of Honour
City driving or shortish journeys to work and shopping is what I define as normal usage for most people that do say sub 10k miles per year and don't go on motorways much.

City driving by people who never use the motorway is not 'normal usage'.

Soldato
I recently did about 2500 miles in a large automatic executive saloon and averaged just over 50mpg. Several tanks were almost 60mpg.

I'd expect a diesel hatch to have been more efficient, so therefore I suspect you are wrong.
Yes but I suspect you drive very carefully and smoothly and achieve that on 50 roads or motorways.
It's not always the case that smaller engined hatchbacks should be more efficient as they are often driven hard due to being slow and used for short journeys whereas your car has good power and a smooth automatic gearbox to make progress in without driving it hard up and down the gears

City driving by people who never use the motorway is not 'normal usage'.
Yes it is your average person doesn't drive up and down the motorways every day to go to and from work or to the shops. I am one of the few people in my work that has to use the motorway to get there.
The average car also does less than 10k per year in the UK. Why do you think all the big cities are getting badly polluted because your average driver has been buying diesel's to drive 15 minutes in congested traffic to go about there daily tasks

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
Whilst I accept that a proportion of people will do only very local journeys and never venture far from home the notion that 'normal driving' is to sit in town and not use Motorways etc is just nonsense.

'Normal driving' is a healthy mix of everything - so not all in town but neither sitting on the Motorway all the time either.

Caporegime
I frequently get 65+ out of my other halfs Focus 1.6Diesel, that's making a conscious effort to be frugal with it,she drives it without a thought towards economy and still averages ~55mpg.

She nearly swapped it for a Kuga but it's mpg and reliability reports put her off.

My best from my old school ~2 ton 735iV8 has been 37mpg on a gentle cruise from Stoke to Taunton, the 90+ early hour return trip returned 26mpg.

Normal day today commuting and running around is circa 18mpg,towing its been as low as 12mpg.

I like to see what it achieves but equally don't worry about it, having an old school V8 petrol and worrying about mpg is somewhat pointless... :D

Caporegime
MPG is the biggest con. I don't mind the eco boost engines however. Had a fiesta with one and now have a focus with the 150PS and automatic. Average just over 30MPG but most of my journeys are probably less than 5 miles (60%) with 5% being over 10 miles. So hardly going to be the most economical.

Kuga is a lot heavier... and regarding the Range Rover they make Kuga look fantastic. My mums evoque gets worst MPG than my dads XKR.. my mum drives like an old lady and my dad drives his car how it should be driven.

Out of interest when you say worse, what do you mean?

Anything more than 18 is very good in my books!:/ But then it is a similar size and power to Dis's, but petrol.

Last edited:
Soldato
Out of interest when you say worse, what do you mean?

Anything more than 18 is very good in my books!:/ But then it is a similar size and power to Dis's, but petrol.

It's probably an unfair comparison, but I've seen the evoque struggle double digits but the again most of the evoques journeys are around town and less than 5 miles.

I've seen the XKR in the mid twentie but on decent motorway runs.

Although I would imagine the evoque to struggle to beat mid twenties on a decent run.

2.0l vs 4.2l supercharged petrol engines.

Caporegime
I have a focus 1.6 Ecoboost 182 and the best I've ever had according to fuelio is 44.8mpg when I took it to Silverstone. Average is around 37mpg with a mix of short journeys and a 45 mile round trip with some heavy traffic. Some might say that's poor, but I think it's pretty good.

Compared to my 306 GTI-6 that struggled to beat 30mpg and my old Leon Cupra 180 that gave 33-35 its decent. I certainly get more miles to a smaller tank in the Focus.

Soldato
Yeah my 2.0 ecoboost does about.....28mpg mixed( for avoidance of doubt I expected this). Don't drive it particularly far but mid 30's on a run is about right - close to 40 if travelling hundreds of miles.

In fairness to downsized turbo's in small cars our little 1.4 petrol Fiesta only cracks high 30's on a very careful run whilst I've had various 1.0t hire car fiesta/focus that will significantly better that. Town mpg is equally poor, though it's an ancient engine really the 1.4 so not unexpected

Back
Top Bottom